• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wood or Metal Riser?

BowhunterXC

I've shot both and like both for varying reasons. I currently have a wood ILF riser and am considering my riser choices for a new recurve.
As of right now, I'm looking at a Hoyt Satori riser with Uukha Altai or Uureg "S" curve limbs. :cool: I may change my mind, once I physically put my hands on a few different risers, but I like the feel of the Satori.

What are your deciding factors for choosing a wood or metal riser, on a recurve? :)

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve been looking at a couple different versions of both. One reason I’m considering metal is for hunting if I lay it down on the ground, who cares. You get a nice bow like a widow or whatever I wouldn’t wanna scratch it ha will be following this thread

I have a 15” Morrison phenolic riser that is drilled/tapped for an elevated rest and it’s heavy so means it’s stable. I don’t however prefer to hunt with it because it is HEAVY. My primary hunting ILF is a 13” VPA Riser and the reason that one is “my go to” is because of the Jaeger grip on it. I’ve owned a lot of metal risers but none had as good or repeatable grip. My Morrison is “Jaeger Style”….it’s close but not the same as the 2.0 grip. I’d let my Morrison go in a heartbeat and only shoot my VPA for the rest of time. I like it THAT much.

Metals cold and ugly, woods warm and beautiful. How’s this even a question? :)

But seriously, I love wood bows because each one is unique and a work of art. The fact that you don’t want to lay them down because your afraid you will scratch them is why I shoot them
Gone in 60 Seconds quotes…classic! I have pretty wood bows too but the only one that I would hunt with is my Stalker.

For me I like the adaptability of a metal riser. However in the later months it's freaking cold in your hand and is a bit harder on handshock and usually louder. Wood riser are lighter and generally quieter and also prettier! So wood for me!

Metals cold and ugly, woods warm and beautiful. How’s this even a question? :)

But seriously, I love wood bows because each one is unique and a work of art. The fact that you don’t want to lay them down because your afraid you will scratch them is why I shoot them
Yea I used to think metal bows were a “sin” I think my opinion changed mainly because I like Hoyt’s stuff and wanna try the satori, haha other than that you’re 100% right

Wood. Light, warm, pretty. Granted I’m shooting 50 year old bows I picked up used. Started with a SWA takedown, everything since has been a one piece bow.

heavy risers are easier to shoot accurately past 20 yards....just look at how many competitive barebow archers shoot a metal riser and even add weights to it (won't even mention olympic style....where all shoot metal)

a metal riser is also a lot more dead in the hand due to weight and it flexes way less than wood

i sold every wood bow i owned after i bought my first metal riser (warf riser made from a proline compound.....and i actually bought it from the original warf from tradtalk.com....warf was the name of his dog)

heavy risers are easier to shoot accurately past 20 yards....just look at how many competitive barebow archers shoot a metal riser and even add weights to it (won't even mention olympic style....where all shoot metal)

a metal riser is also a lot more dead in the hand due to weight and it flexes way less than wood

i sold every wood bow i owned after i bought my first metal riser (warf riser made from a proline compound.....and i actually bought it from the original warf from tradtalk.com....warf was the name of his dog)
Definitely understand the heavy riser/better shooter conundrum. Even so I'm a bowhunter, since that's my extremely narrow focus I want the best bow for that job. I limit my shots to 20 yards and closer 99% of the time. I just don't think I've handicapped myself very much.
Of course the argument could be that I could shoot farther with a heavy riser bow. That doesn't work for me. I shoot traditional equipment because i want my lethal encounters with game to be heartstoppingly close. Heck, if i wanted to kill deer farther than 20 yards I could get a compound and get her sighted in at 50 and be good to go. Except I'd be loathe to pick it up on the 20 degree morning, cold metal risers do suck the heat out of your hand.

Anyway, those are my motivations for shooting the bows I do. Others have different motivations and desires.

Use to shoot all wood bows but I like the weight of the metal risers plus I don’t have to worry about scuffing or dinging it or worse the laminations fail and plus I can pick any limb combo I want and mate them near perfect to the risers I own and for any slight chance I have a issue I just switch limbs and do a quick tune and get back to shooting

Never was a metal fan before Black Sabbath, whoops sorry, wrong converse. Before I shot a DAS bow with his connections. Wow! All it took. I do love my woodies though.

Advantages: very strong, weather resistance, tapping for accessories.
disadvantages (generally speaking, I’m sure there are exceptions): ugly imo, louder, increased vibration, cold in the cold (cold hands makes shots very difficult), and more. I’ve shot several and am not a fan. Also not a fan of ilf. Different strokes for different folks.

Back