• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Woodpecker, EZ-Kut and Treehopper comparison.

WHW

Vendor Rep
When Jerry Simmons sold his broadhead company, a decade or so ago, the new owner didn't continue the Woodpecker hand drill. By this time I had pretty much replaced my spurs with the drill & bolt system as my primary climbing method. Knowing that I had already went through a couple of Woodpecker drills I was concerned that if something happened to the only one that I had left, I would be out of business.

At the time the only option for a backup was the EZ-Kut drill so I ordered one. It just didn't compare to the Woodpecker, in quality or drilling ability. But, the main thing that I didn't like about the EZ-Kut is, the bit is 5/8" longer than the Woodpecker drill bit, and it takes 73 turns to drill a hole compared to the Woodpecker only taking 56 turns. That doesn't sound like much, but when you're drilling 10 holes those extra turns add up to 170 more than needed/necessary.

I was very interested in buying the new and improved Treehopper drill, but from what I understand the new Treehopper drill bit is the same length as the EZ-Kut. And, I assume that it will take the same number of turns. It's a great looking drill and I'm sure that it preforms good, but man that's a lot of unnecessary drilling.

So, I'm very thankful that I was recently gifted another Woodpecker drill from my hunting partner. Lloyd doesn't use it anymore and thought I should have it. My hunting years or winding down, and I believe I can make it to the end with the Woodpecker.

Is the Original Woodpecker drill bit that hard to replicate? Surely someone can if it is a better mouse trap.

Is the Original Woodpecker drill bit that hard to replicate? Surely someone can if it is a better mouse trap.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the Treehopper drill, but the quality seems to be outstanding and probably better than the Woodpecker. All it needs is a 5/8" shorter drill bit to eliminate those extra 17 turns per bolt hole.

The hard part to copy it will be the bit. I doubt that exact bit is available. The body is easy to replicate...I have a clone of the original.
But a stopper collar could be added to any bit in order to alter the depth. A bushing can be ether braised to the bit or use the type with a set screw.
That being said, a shallower hole will allow more leverage on a 6" bolt. That may not be as much of an issue with grade 8s, but it could be a problem with carbon rods.

The hard part to copy it will be the bit. I doubt that exact bit is available. The body is easy to replicate...I have a clone of the original.
But a stopper collar could be added to any bit in order to alter the depth. A bushing can be ether braised to the bit or use the type with a set screw.
That being said, a shallower hole will allow more leverage on a 6" bolt. That may not be as much of an issue with grade 8s, but it could be a problem with carbon rods.
Yep, I don't know that I'd trust it with carbon rods. But 170 fewer revolutions is a mighty tempting idea. TBH, I've purchased 100 grade 8s already, and plan on heavily hunting presets. For the few times I mobile hunt, I think I could be talked into going back to grade 8 Allen bolts.

Or, given the fact that it's so easy to replace bits, just swap out appropriately. Predrilling in the summer with grade 8s? Short bit. Mobile hunting with carbon? Long bit.

[QUOTE="WHW, post: 207119, member: 2144" But, the main thing that I didn't like about the EZ-Kut is, the bit is 5/8" longer than the Woodpecker drill bit, and it takes 73 turns to drill a hole compared to the Woodpecker only taking 56 turns. That doesn't sound like much, but when you're drilling 10 holes those extra turns add up to 170 more than needed/necessary.[/QUOTE]
I guess what needs to be tested is how deep the Treehopper hole is when rotated 56 turns. If it drills the same depth as the Woodpecker then it proves the fix would be to just add a bushing to change the stopper location.
But, if after 56 turns, the Treehopper depth does not equal the Woodpecker depth, well then it isn't the stopper. If that's the case, then there is something else about the design of the business end of the bit. When I compare the 2 bits, I can see that the original Woodpecker is slightly different in the drive screw, flute width, cutting bevel and circumference cutter.

@Allegheny Tom, good point. Mr. Womack is reporting about a 25% increase in efficiency with a shorter bit. By my math, you're looking at a 20% decrease in bit length. So you should definitely see a reduction in revolutions required, but maybe not exactly the same as a woodpecker.

Pictures of my hand drills for comparison. The top one is the EZ-Kut. The second one is a original production Woodpecker that I bought in 1983. The only two that still drill a correct size hole is the EZ-Kut and the bottom Woodpecker. The two in the middle are retired (I've got too much history with them to throw them away).

q577L2N.jpg

f0EvPnO.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of my hand drills for comparison. The top one is the EZ-Kut. The second one is a original production Woodpecker that I bought in 1983. The only two that still drill a correct size hole is the EZ-Kut and the bottom Woodpecker. The two in the middle are retired (I've got too much history with them to throw them away).

q577L2N.jpg

f0EvPnO.jpg
An original Woodpecker and my clone. I like it a lot, but I like my Treehopper better.
67eddb21ef33363fc6d6018ad4f2423f.jpg
2567faf857b0f7e677df4fc3bc849c8e.jpg
dc9b3cfcd0dacfbd275fdfc0d962e38e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WHW
I’m not using carbon..... so I am interested in a shorter note efficient bit

Reactions: WHW
@Nutterbuster, is a Woodpecker worth $50? I just saw this listing this morning.
View attachment 12605
An actual woodpecker drill is worth $50 in my book. I'm interested in digging one up or modifying my treehopper to match it's bit length, since @WHW mentioned to me a while back that it takes fewer revolutions of the handle to drill a hole. They're no longer in production and hard to find.

I agree with @kyler1945 however, that the drill pictured is an EZ-Kut, and not really a deal. It's readily available new and used, and the treehopper is a better product for a few bucks more.

Great info guys,THNX, glad I checked before busting out the wallet. After y'all s responses I really looked at the comparison photos, definitely not a Woodpecker.

When looking at the numbers, I can see why folks would hold on to the original woodpecker drill. @WHW You and Mr. Lloyd are definitely very blessed with a great long lasting friendship. Those don't come around very often!:)

Back