• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Working toward next season's goals NOW.

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
We all have goals for every deer season, whether we write them out or not. My goal for last year was to not die in a tree diaper. Check!
Where I think we often fail is when we dream up goals but don't do much in the way of making a plan to get ourselves there. This is the perfect time of year to start the work it will take for us to meet our goals come fall.

For this year, I have four goals and a plan for how to accomplish each.

First, make more quality hunts than I did last fall. This means creating enough margin in my life to accomplish honey-dos, projects at work, etc. so that I can be flexible on those days that are perfect. Also, it means guarding my scheduled hunts against the tyranny of the urgent that can creep in.

Second, perfectly execute on my bed hunts. I've been hunting bedding areas for the past two years and have yet to see a mature buck emerge from one. I attribute some of my lack of success to the fact that I seem to ALWAYS screw something up. A stick clangs, a limb snaps, my pack gets hung in tress when pulling it up... the list goes on. This year, I want to be perfect. To accomplish this, I'm going to spend the off season getting my system perfectly dialed in and practicing on a variety of trees until I can get climbed and settled in with my eyes closed.

Third, have a 3.5 yr old+ buck within 25 yards at least once. Admittedly, this goal is beyond my control. But if I can make more quality hunts and be perfect when creeping in close to bedding, I up my odds. I also hope to increase my odds by getting the most from my trail cameras. This means casting a wide net with them this summer and honing in on a particular buck or two as fall approaches.

Fourth, make it happen when the opportunity presents itself. In my life, I have connected on less than half of the buck encounters I've had. I ALWAYS seem to find a way to mess up my chance. In addition to getting my gear dialed in, I hope to increase my mental stamina and shooting abilities this off season. This may sound hocus pocus, but I'm preparing mentally by practicing some mindfulness and grounding techniques (the wife's a therapist, don't judge me). I'm also shooting at least one arrow every day at 25 yd. Finally, I turned my bow's poundage down to around 60 lb. I guess I finally realized I don't have anything to prove. :)

So let's hear it! What are your goals for next season and how are you going to make them happen?

My #1 goal last year was inspired by a post by @DaveT1963 on this forum. It was to not get down when things didn't go exactly my way. I needed the reminder that even when it rains for a week straight I'm in the woods doing what I live for, it should be fun. In that I felt that I succeeded last year. I actually never went thru the stressed, upset period that seems to find me every year about the time the bucks and does pair up and the hunting gets tough. The preseason written reminder was something I really needed after all these years and it stuck with me throughout the season. Still can't thank you enough for those words of wisdom Dave.

That is still my number one goal this year. Enjoy myself, no matter the circumstances. Hunting is fun.

Goal 2: Spend more time in the offseason refining the details of my system. I feel pretty confident with it but things can always get smoother, gear can be changed, new methods explored.

Goal 3: Explore/Hunt more new areas For example, there's places I've always wanted to bowhunt that would really require overnight or over weekend canoe trips. I want to take greater advantage of this mobile system and I'm not getting any younger.

I am at that peak age where I don't really set goals anymore for deer hunting, but just try to enjoy each hunt more than the last and accept I am closer to the end than the beginning. I enjoy the hunts with my family and good friends more than solos and just hope that each produces a great memory to add to the mental scrapbook. I hope you exceed your goals and don't take any of the journey for granted. It goes by too fast.

We all have goals for every deer season, whether we write them out or not. My goal for last year was to not die in a tree diaper. Check!
Where I think we often fail is when we dream up goals but don't do much in the way of making a plan to get ourselves there. This is the perfect time of year to start the work it will take for us to meet our goals come fall.

For this year, I have four goals and a plan for how to accomplish each.

First, make more quality hunts than I did last fall. This means creating enough margin in my life to accomplish honey-dos, projects at work, etc. so that I can be flexible on those days that are perfect. Also, it means guarding my scheduled hunts against the tyranny of the urgent that can creep in.

Second, perfectly execute on my bed hunts. I've been hunting bedding areas for the past two years and have yet to see a mature buck emerge from one. I attribute some of my lack of success to the fact that I seem to ALWAYS screw something up. A stick clangs, a limb snaps, my pack gets hung in tress when pulling it up... the list goes on. This year, I want to be perfect. To accomplish this, I'm going to spend the off season getting my system perfectly dialed in and practicing on a variety of trees until I can get climbed and settled in with my eyes closed.

Third, have a 3.5 yr old+ buck within 25 yards at least once. Admittedly, this goal is beyond my control. But if I can make more quality hunts and be perfect when creeping in close to bedding, I up my odds. I also hope to increase my odds by getting the most from my trail cameras. This means casting a wide net with them this summer and honing in on a particular buck or two as fall approaches.

Fourth, make it happen when the opportunity presents itself. In my life, I have connected on less than half of the buck encounters I've had. I ALWAYS seem to find a way to mess up my chance. In addition to getting my gear dialed in, I hope to increase my mental stamina and shooting abilities this off season. This may sound hocus pocus, but I'm preparing mentally by practicing some mindfulness and grounding techniques (the wife's a therapist, don't judge me). I'm also shooting at least one arrow every day at 25 yd. Finally, I turned my bow's poundage down to around 60 lb. I guess I finally realized I don't have anything to prove. :)

So let's hear it! What are your goals for next season and how are you going to make them happen?
Great goals. And the mind prep begins now and is critical. You have avg 5-10 seconds each season sometimes to make a critical decision when it’s time to shoot. Start making every detail perfect now. And the honey do’s keep coming so cleaning that pellet stove now or changing the oil on the lawn tractor now collectively creates room in the fall when you need it. I charged my Rino radio today and thanked a landowner today. A little at a time...

Mine:
1. Shoot a turkey with the .410 and 28ga to complete my “shotgun slam”
2. Plant chufa and clean up logging trails on my lease
3. Duck hunt more
4. Deer hunt less (already been that way!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am at that peak age where I don't really set goals anymore for deer hunting, but just try to enjoy each hunt more than the last and accept I am closer to the end than the beginning. I enjoy the hunts with my family and good friends more than solos and just hope that each produces a great memory to add to the mental scrapbook. I hope you exceed your goals and don't take any of the journey for granted. It goes by too fast.

I never thought I’d be at a point where I’d say, “I’m with u there...” but like you, I’m on the other side and memories with friends and family are what it’s all about now. I’ve achieved every deer goal I could have asked for, and “more” has been softened to quality. I appreciate the reminder not to take the journey for granted - it’s a rarity for me and for someone who wasn’t supposed to have any journey, I’ve been truly blessed.

1. relax
2. Learn more about cyber scouting including beast tactics
3. Confirm said tactics by seeing mature deer.

Honestly anything above and beyond that is icing on the cake.

I never claimed to be a big buck killer but I really enjoy the journey and learning how the real killers get it done..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This season my #1 goal is to get my son his first deer with a bow from the saddle and film it

#2 is killing a good buck using kayak access on the public I’ve been scouting

#3 hunt a new state I’ve never hunted

This season my #1 goal is to get my son his first deer with a bow from the saddle and film it

#2 is killing a good buck using kayak access on the public I’ve been scouting

#3 hunt a new state I’ve never hunted

^^^^^^^^^ stone cold killer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Goals never change
Enjoy each time as if it was my last. I’ve killed enough animals and I don’t judge my success by inches of antler or beard but in sunrises and peaceful moments.

Soon it will be my 6yr olds turn to learn the woods then my journey will truly begin... passing it on and watching the next generation..

Great goals...
I want this upcoming season to be less comical and I’m working toward self filming so if it is I can re-live it and laugh at myself with friends and family.
My hitlist is still all about “Buster” this year I will not be eating my lunch when he stands up 30 yds away and will not drop my bag through the tree while trying to get to the bow...or at least film both of us and our reactions when I mess up the greatest beast tactic gone bad!

I am a relative new saddle guy so my goals in that regard is to learn my system to the pointof being functional and then work towards perfecting it. I would like to think that since im reading this forum everyday that some of my small gear changes probably wont be needed. Im copying you guys already and you did the r&d already.... thanks btw. As for hunting goals primarily a 3 yr old on public would be awesome i live in michigan and it takes work to find them. Spending the right time in the tree is also a goal. I dont get a ton of time since i process deer for a living but making sure im not screwing up my areas has to be an important goal. Im sure ive got a ton more but these are what are at the top

Back