• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wrist vs. 3-4 finger thumb release

BRAY2KAY

I've hunted my whole life with a wrist release with no real issues but a thumb release has caught my interest. I dont really want to go pay alot for one just to see how I liked it but I also dont want to go buy a cheap one and not give it a fair chance. For the ones that shoot 3-4 fingers. What made you use it and which do you prefer?

I was anticipating the shot and would punch at the trigger with a wrist release. I switched to a 4 finger stan shootoff. It has given me many benefits, but most of all, I no longer punch the trigger with my thumb. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go 3 finger. Only downside I have had is heavy clothing when it gets cold. When I get to my anchor point, the trigger is up against my coat collar. Haven't yet, but always afraid of accidentally bumping the trigger.

I went with a thumb release due to not like using a wrist release with coats, gloves and ect... the improve anchor point and smoother follow through (For me anyways) as an added Benefit

Look at the Hot Shot Vapor if you don't want to drop a lot of money. Can be found for <$100. I had one and sold it because I got a Silverback, but honestly I felt more comfortable with the Vapor three finger. I found that my anchor was more consistent and my accuracy improved. One nice aspect is that you can just clip it to your d loop and leave it there until you need to draw.

I can definitely see where your anchor point would have to be better and also I have a prob if I dont watch myself I will torque my bow. I would think a different release would help. Like I said though I've shot for years and very accurate out to 60 but my curiosity has got to me.

Give it a whirl. I am shooting a wrist release and dont have any problems with it. But would i shoot better with a thumb release? I dont know either, haha. I dont want to try it at this point because last year i went through a lot of DL changes. I had a way too short a DL because i didn't double check what DL the mods were the shop put on for me. It was.a new to me bow. I went from shooting 28" to 30",that helped my form a lot!
As you well know,consistency is whst matters most.

Last edited:
I made the switch to a thumb release last year and have not regretted it. I've ended up with a Spott Hogg Whipper Snapper 3 finger after trying a few others. I also have a Fang 4 finger that I might be willing to sell if you are interested.

My first mechanical release was a wrist type Tru-Fire Patriot used it successfully for over 15 seasons then wanted something with a lighter trigger pull and tried releases from Scott, Jim Fletcher, Cobra and settled on a Cabelas wrist release
Tried other types of non wrist designs but never liked any anywhere near as much as a wrist type

Thanks for the response guys. I ordered a v3 a couple weeks ago. When it comes in I'm going to try them both before buying. I've shot a wrist release since I started bowhunting when I was 10 years old but I'm always up to try new things if it makes sense

I’ve shot a wrist release my whole life and recently I upgraded bows and in the process decided I would upgrade my 11 year old true fire wrist release as well. When talking to several different people, they all recommended switching to a 3 finger thumb or back tension release for increased accuracy due to several factors. As I didn’t feel comfortable with a back tension, I decided on a Tru ball max pro +. And although I love the feel of the new release, I haven’t been able to reach the level of accuracy that I had with my old wrist strap. I can shoot it well enough in close, but at longer distances my groups aren’t that tight. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of practicing more with it, as I really like the release and want it to work out. It also could be that I’m shooting a whole different setup(bow, arrows, and release).

I'll reiterate what others have said, I took the plunge and purchased an adjustable release a few years back and set it to 4 finger. I struggled with it a bit and like the OP did well with a wrist so went back to a wrist. I sold the thumb at a very small discount, so I did not take a big hit. However, the idea of a release being out of the way and attached to the d-loop stayed with me so this year I purchased a B3 Omega Pro - which can be adjusted from 2-4 fingers. I figured a 2 finger set up would help my draw and form, it took me a couple weeks but I soon realized that while drawing in a 2 finger configuration there would be times that I would curl my 3rd and 4th finger inward - causing my hand to not be flat. This would cause the arrows to hit left of target. As others have stated, I felt much more confidence with my anchor with the thumb as opposed to the index and I wanted to give the thumb a fair shake. This past week I switched it to a three finger and my draw, anchor, hand position and shot have made huge improvements, I would say on par if not better than the index. I still have a few months to decide, but if things keep going the way they have this week, I'll be hunting with the B3 this year. If you make the switch give it a chance and work with it, it may not come to you as fast as an index, but IMHO there are a few positive things that come with a thumb. Good Luck

I am in the process of learning on a Silverback after 10+ years with a wrist strap. Like someone else said, I'm hoping to reform my trigger-punching ways. So far there's two things I've taken away from the process: my wrist strap form and habits were not great and reform isn't going to come quickly, and I was really working hard with the wrist strap as a lever to pull 70lbs. Not so easy to 'over bow' without that strap to assist the pull. So, I'm down nearer to 60lbs now, and wouldn't you know shooting is more fun down here :)

I am also switching to thumb release for practice this off season. I would say try it out, the resale value is still good if at the end you didnt like it.

Just ordered a Stan Perfex long neck heavy metal. Got notified by the business owner 2 days later that they were out if stock but should be back in stock in 2 weeks. Patiently waiting (as I incessantly tap my foot, pace around like a caged animal, and yell at my kids for no apparent reason). Seriously, though, I’m looking forward to the challenge of learning it when it gets here.

I am in the process of learning on a Silverback after 10+ years with a wrist strap. Like someone else said, I'm hoping to reform my trigger-punching ways. So far there's two things I've taken away from the process: my wrist strap form and habits were not great and reform isn't going to come quickly, and I was really working hard with the wrist strap as a lever to pull 70lbs. Not so easy to 'over bow' without that strap to assist the pull. So, I'm down nearer to 60lbs now, and wouldn't you know shooting is more fun down here :)

It's a lot less hard on your joints as you age also. My plan is just to keep dropping weight as I get older as needed. With a 30 inch draw, I'm sure I can blow through deer at 20 yards with even a 40 lbs draw and a cut on contact head. That set up is probably as powerful as a 70 lbs long bow.

Back