• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wrong place at the wrong time...

I have see pics of some of the more intelligent members of our species thinking they were stealing telephone wire in way worse shape than this deer ....like cartoonist with only shoes socks and burnt nubs and the rest is gone....bolt cutters blown apart and burnt 50yds away

I have see pics of some of the more intelligent members of our species thinking they were stealing telephone wire in way worse shape than this deer ....like cartoonist with only shoes socks and burnt nubs and the rest is gone....bolt cutters blown apart and burnt 50yds away

A local guy tried to steal wire from an active substation and blew both his arms off at the shoulders.

I could think of better ways to go than having a heavy wire fall across me and proceed to burn me to the bone.....

I'm just hoping the zap turned his lights out nearly instantly and that the burning through thing wasn't the fatal bit. I'm an optimist like that.

I'm just hoping the zap turned his lights out nearly instantly and that the burning through thing wasn't the fatal bit. I'm an optimist like that.
I get the sense that this is the case. If it wasn't instantaneous I would assume there would be a lot more ground disturbance from him flopping around.

I get the sense that this is the case. If it wasn't instantaneous I would assume there would be a lot more ground disturbance from him flopping around.

Also, he might be more burned as he tried to escape/moved and the wire hit him in different areas. EDIT: so, it seems he didn't move since he is only burned in one line.

Last edited:
I would bet the initial shock killed him. Burned and sizzled afterwards. He could have been standing. Got shocked, fell over, and then then it burned in.

Also, he might be more burned as he tried to escape/moved and the wire hit him in different areas.
That’s a secondary voltage so it had way more amps. I don’t think he tried to move. The initial zap would have most likely stopped his heart and instantly paralyzed him. The wire continued to burn into him until the closest recloser switch cut out. Usually it has to pulsate 3 times before that happens.

I could think of better ways to go than having a heavy wire fall across me and proceed to burn me to the bone.....
I promise you he never even felt it. The second that voltage hits, the heart stops, things go black. That ain’t like 120 v which kind of grabs you and you scream but can move. When 4KV hits it’s more like a zap/explosion.

Back