• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WTT Hang Time in O-H... I-O!

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
Here’s the thing:
My in-laws live in Logan County, OH and they have the ability to help me gain access to hunting ground, BUT none of their family hunts and out-of-state hunting licenses in OH are restrictively priced,so it’s out of the question this year unless I fall into some of that Disney money or whatever.
ANYWAY...
I head out there about 2-3 times during any game season, and I always have my bows to shoot in the yard for fun. This year, a friend bought a small parcel and he’s going to hunt, so I’m bringing my saddle and a LW to just plain hang out with him while my wife does that shopping thing I’ve heard of before. As a cop, though, his tree time is limited.
SOOOO...
Is there anyone who needs a no-weapon hunting buddy in OH who can either work a camera or make you feel not-so-miserable and bring snacks while hanging out in the snow? An archery buddy for hangtime practice in the yard? I’m usually out for a week at a time and can be pretty flexible. I can travel up to an hour or two from Logan County and I’m a nice boy who buys the first beer.
Also, I can ****ing cook. Just sayin’.

Unfortunately, I don't hunt in Ohio but, if you ever want to come cook, buy the beer, and film in Western MD let me know. :)
Dude, I could be there tomorrow. Matter of fact, I’m hunting just east of you tomorrow...
I’ve been trying to get a sika for 7 years. I’d love to just see them from the saddle. PM me when you’re going out, I’ll see if I’m free!

Dude, I could be there tomorrow. Matter of fact, I’m hunting just east of you tomorrow...
I’ve been trying to get a sika for 7 years. I’d love to just see them from the saddle. PM me when you’re going out, I’ll see if I’m free!

If your hunting Sika your still about 4-5 hours east of me. Contrary to manys beliefs there's a lot of state west of Frederick, lol. But, if you ever want to hunt Western MD let me know, I have 3 acres with a couple of campers that borders 4k acres of public. I won't make you film or cook but, you can buy the beer :)

If your hunting Sika your still about 4-5 hours east of me. Contrary to manys beliefs there's a lot of state west of Frederick, lol. But, if you ever want to hunt Western MD let me know, I have 3 acres with a couple of campers that borders 4k acres of public. I won't make you film or cook but, you can buy the beer :)
My bad I thought you said Eastern MD. Bad eyes don’t read so good lol. I’m still not far. Count me in.

UPDATE:
just got an offer from my father-in-law to buy my license and tags for me. He just wants me to share meat (duh). And after looking at the OH regs, it seems a license IS required to help track animals. I haven’t answered him yet but I can only hunt about 2-3 weeks out of the season anyway. it also seems that you can only take 1 deer from “all public land”. Who can clear that rule up for me a bit? Does that mean all public lands combined, as in kill one deer on public you’re done, or does that mean 1 in any particular tract and you can go to another and get another deer? Just not super clear on the reg.

This will be my first time back out there since my son was born 4 yrs ago...now building an addition cause have number 2 on the way in February...license went up to 256 for nonresidents...its a 1 buck state and depending on region a variable number of does...like 2 or 3 total...and last I checked u have to use the doe tags up by shotgun season....at 75 a tag I'll just wait for a buck....for my 2 days maybe 4 days total this season out there.

This will be my first time back out there since my son was born 4 yrs ago...now building an addition cause have number 2 on the way in February...license went up to 256 for nonresidents...its a 1 buck state and depending on region a variable number of does...like 2 or 3 total...and last I checked u have to use the doe tags up by shotgun season....at 75 a tag I'll just wait for a buck....for my 2 days maybe 4 days total this season out there.
I’ll only have about 6-7 days to hunt total myself, split between October and January. I’m going to shoot whatever walks by and weighs over 80 lbs.

1 doe on public land, no doe after general gun season. So, if you are hunting strictly public land Ohio is effectively a one buck one doe state.

1 doe on public land, no doe after general gun season. So, if you are hunting strictly public land Ohio is effectively a one buck one doe state.
Just got some permission on 18 acres in Logan County. I will still be checking out some local public though. So, you’re saying 1 doe on public statewide, not per parcel? That’s like, exactly the opposite of here in DE lol. I just got done hunting some local public and saw 8 does, could have shot them all in one night legally if they’d all been shoot-able as they came through. OH is definitely more of a trophy state than an access state from what I can tell.

Just got some permission on 18 acres in Logan County. I will still be checking out some local public though. So, you’re saying 1 doe on public statewide, not per parcel? That’s like, exactly the opposite of here in DE lol. I just got done hunting some local public and saw 8 does, could have shot them all in one night legally if they’d all been shoot-able as they came through. OH is definitely more of a trophy state than an access state from what I can tell.

Well, most of it is stemming from complaints that there are no deer on public land in Ohio. The problem is deer don't really understand the concept of property boundaries. It's a new initiative that started last year. One doe on public land, statewide and no "anterless deer" after gun season, which is also supposed to have the dual affect of sparing shed bucks late season along with letting doe that have been bred survive. I wish the state would make this a statewide rule including public property, or get rid of it completely. If the state is worried about the deer heard being down in numbers, perhaps just go back to the '90s regulations and cut the statewide bag limit to 2 deer and that's it.

Back