• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Xop mini stick mods (lay flat, No added parts)

stone1

I've been wanting the packability of LWCG sticks but have not been able to get ahold of them, so I've been checking out different stick options attempting to recreate what makes them packable.

Essentially it is a rotating stand-off that allows the stick to lay flat.

Ironically with the XOP sticks, it using a lot of the same parts / design as LWCG sticks. Same button, Longer step length, Taller standoff for increase boot room. The downside is they're 22", and around 2.5 per although they're advertised as 2lbs.

Well by taking just over 2" off the bottom of the stick, making them just under 20" sticks and cutting off the offsets sides I think I'm pretty close.

Weight after modifications is 2.2lbs, which isn't considerable but with 4 sticks that's over a lb. Also, with the standoffs cut it allows the stick to lay flat.

I've tested these out and because you're not adding a longer bolt or a nut between screws you're not compromising the bolt. The only risk I see is because of the rotating offset, there is the chance of a kick out if the stick is not seated properly. I suppose the same can be said for any stick that uses rotating offsets.

Here is some photos of the original compared to the modified.

IMG-3696.jpgIMG-3697.jpgIMG-3698.jpgIMG-3699.jpg

Back