• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Yaktrax boot chains

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
I bought a pair of these a few years ago after falling hard on an icy driveway. I had them on my boots this winter, but I decided to leave them on for my 1st trip of shed hunting this year. All the snow and ice is gone but this is a bad time of the year for climbing slopes. The surface is thawing and the subsurface is still frozen. Walking can be really treacherous but footing was so much better with these. These things were great for snow and ice and they are still great for traction in muddy/semi frozen terrain. I'm glad I left them on my boots after the snow melted. I'll remove them when the ground fully thaws and becomes more solid.
Certain boots (like Tingley) are nice but the traction sucks. Try these chains.

One issue I had with them is these don't come with with a strap over the instep. They did pull off a couple times, so I made my own bungee strap with zip ties (for you that don't already know, I'm a junky for shock cord and zip ties...great invention if I say so myself). I made a strap for over the instep and they now stay on the boot. I walked 3 hours today. 100% happy, no slips, no slides, and they never came off my boots.

Back