• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Yellow Jackets

oldsouth

This may be North Carolina specific but I'm not sure. Out scouting today and I came across a half dozen or more yellow jacket nests. All of the nests I found were 6-8 inch holes in the ground. I have never seen them in holes that big before, usually one or two bee size holes with active yellow jacket flyers letting me know where the nest is. So my point to all this is, is there an abundance of yellow jackets this year or did I just find the mother load area today? I found some good sign out there today I should have marked the nests on OnX, but wasn't thinking. Hope I don't step in one in the dark on my way to a set in a month or so for the opener.

I'm in Alamance County. Worst year for yellowjackets that I can remember. Been got half a dozen times this year on the farm. Nests everywhere.

This may be North Carolina specific but I'm not sure. Out scouting today and I came across a half dozen or more yellow jacket nests. All of the nests I found were 6-8 inch holes in the ground. I have never seen them in holes that big before, usually one or two bee size holes with active yellow jacket flyers letting me know where the nest is. So my point to all this is, is there an abundance of yellow jackets this year or did I just find the mother load area today? I found some good sign out there today I should have marked the nests on OnX, but wasn't thinking. Hope I don't step in one in the dark on my way to a set in a month or so for the opener.
Delta dust! Put a little in the hole, and you won’t have to worry about them come hunting season. Promise.

Delta dust! Put a little in the hole, and you won’t have to worry about them come hunting season. Promise.

Just treated a nest in my backyard today with the delta methrin dust. Supposed to take 24-48 hours. Hope it work well. If not I’m getting the gas can…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the permethrin I treat my clothes with this week to kill a nest. Let the sun go down then poured spray bottle full of the mix into the hole.

The nest is now a tomb.

Diatomaceous earth is another powder u can use to kill bugs. All natural. Pretty cool substance. Good all kinds of bugs (yellow jackets, fleas, lice, beg bugs) and if u get the food grade it has other uses as well... substitute for baking soda when brushing ur teeth (if ur a weirdo who thinks fluoride is bad) u can clean with it, u can substitute for baking soda for a natural deodorizer, make deodorant, use on ur vegetables in the garden, etc, etc

Where we in the same woods? I found 3 yesterday scouting even managed to get stung by one

I have noticed that the wasps building under the eves of my house in Virginia seem to some type of yellow jacket. These are bigger than the little F’ers that nest in the ground, but still some type of yellow jacket. I hit a nest with a sprayer that had a good mix of water and dawn dishwashing liquid in it and they were dead within 5 seconds of hitting the ground. I think it blocks the spiracles that they breath through and they suffocate….real quick.

Just a heads up for everybody who hates bugs. I dropped my termite contract and started spraying around my house with talstar this year. Haven't had a wasp, yellow jacket, dirt dauber, or really much of any kind of bug around the house since.

Just a heads up for everybody who hates bugs. I dropped my termite contract and started spraying around my house with talstar this year. Haven't had a wasp, yellow jacket, dirt dauber, or really much of any kind of bug around the house since.
Bifenthrin (active ingredient) is some bad stuff, it kills everything! It’s one of the more commonly used insecticides here in Louisiana. I haven’t paid anyone to spray my house since I discovered it. Also safe for yards, for anyone that’s a grass geek like me.

Bifenthrin (active ingredient) is some bad stuff, it kills everything! It’s one of the more commonly used insecticides here in Louisiana. I haven’t paid anyone to spray my house since I discovered it. Also safe for yards, for anyone that’s a grass geek like me.
Yeah, I'm sure it's giving me cancer, but the rem-oil and hoppes will probably get me first

In
In Southern Louisiana the Yellow Jackets are plentiful in addition to Red Wasp and Carpet Bees. Carpet Bees will make you sh!t yourself if stung by too many

Not just a NC thing … I ran into several yellow jacket ground nests while speed scouting for whitetails yesterday, and I’m up in CT.

I haven't noticed "cycles" for yellow jackets like I have other bugs, but this seems to be an "up" year for them.

Agree on being an "up" year for yellow jackets. Found another nest yesterday myself. On that note I have what appears to be European hornets flying around my house that I've been unable to locate a nest for but they have me concerned. I've killed about 8-10 thus far all eating sap out of the bottom of the same white oak tree.

And gas doesn't work well for yellow jackets. I've burnt several nest only to return the next day to a very active hive. Seven dust has been much more effective for me.

Agree on being an "up" year for yellow jackets. Found another nest yesterday myself. On that note I have what appears to be European hornets flying around my house that I've been unable to locate a nest for but they have me concerned. I've killed about 8-10 thus far all eating sap out of the bottom of the same white oak tree.

And gas doesn't work well for yellow jackets. I've burnt several nest only to return the next day to a very active hive. Seven dust has been much more effective for me.

I was kinda kidding on the gas, although it would be very satisfying to see those suckers burn!

If they are still alive when I get home tomorrow I’ll get the duster or foam killer and go that route, top it off with some soap water.

This has been a good thread, learned a few options for home pest control. I’ll be getting a quart of the Talastar, I get a lot of wasps on the porches, they go up in the soffit area of the porch too. Lots of dirt dobbers, spiders, ants, etc.

All to be expected in a country setting but if I can keep them all away effectively and affordably then I’m all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back