• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your arrow setup?

Mattyq2402

I shot three bucks in five months. My last kill, a booner coues in Az took two arrows which put me at one good arrow left. So I'm in the market. I was shooting a gold tip hunter 300 gr. with my mathews halon at 29.5" and 70# and 100 grain NAP spitfire.

Wondering what reccomendations u have. I'm open to suggestions. Recently was looking on another forum and saw a lot of arrow weight debate. Anyone shoot a similar setup able to throw in their thoughts??.

The arrow itself is fine , it's the "flapper" up front and overall light weight of the projectile that's giving you grief. A lot of us here have been enlightened by The Ranch Fairy and Dr. Ashby's findings on the benefits of a heavy high foc arrow with a good cut on contact broadhead.

You must be shooting 300 spine arrows or is that the actual weight of your finished arrow?

I have the exact same DL and weight. I run Beman precision hunters (+/- .001) with 150 grain broadheads up front, three 4” fletchings and a lumenock on the back. Mine weight just shy of 500 gn finished with a 15% FOC. The arrows themselves are perfectly fine for me, and not overly expensive either.

I am shooting the halon 32 with 29” draw. I am shooting the gold tip hunter xt’s 300spine. I have a 100grn brass insert in them. I’m shooting 125grn broadheads. They fly fantastic and zip through anything I’ve hit like butter. Try adding some more weight to the front and see if it flys any better.

Ranch Fairy, (Troy Fowler)YouTube.
Eastcoast bowhunting podcast, one with Troy Fowler and one with Dr. Ed Ashby are great listens.

Troy (Ranch Fairy) is definitely worth a listen. The Hunting Public just released a podcast and YouTube video this past week.

Also, in shameless self promotion, I also have a podcast (Bowhunting Soul) with him I’m publishing this coming Monday.

You don’t necessarily need to go “full Ashby” but you can head in that direction.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed bow, 63 lbs, 29.5" draw, 375 grain arrow, Grim Reaper 1 3/8" razortip expandable, well tuned bow (which increases penetration a lot).

Blown through 8 deer in a row like butter with this exact setup and I shoot 300 fps and can use one pin with no hold over from 0 to 30 yards.

My last setups were the same as far as penetration, but with my current setup I've killed 8 deer in 4 years.

I have no idea why anyone with a similar setup is having trouble with penetration. It's not even a thought for me on whitetails.

Elite Hunter 2012 73lbs 29" draw
300 spine GT Velocities 413gr finished arrow weight
50gr up front
100gr Whitetail specials, Trypans or a China Killzones

If I don't get a pass thru I hit something big. I aim 2-3" off the crease generally.

I use beman ics 340's total weight is around 425 with a qad exodus 100gr. Up front. Might bump it up a little more this year. I'm shooting 62lb 28.5 draw

Last edited:
You must be shooting 300 spine arrows or is that the actual weight of your finished arrow?

I have the exact same DL and weight. I run Beman precision hunters (+/- .001) with 150 grain broadheads up front, three 4” fletchings and a lumenock on the back. Mine weight just shy of 500 gn finished with a 15% FOC. The arrows themselves are perfectly fine for me, and not overly expensive either.
Sorry, 300 spine. Never weighed but what I have been shooting is a 300 spine, 100 gr broadhead.

Sorry, 300 spine. Never weighed but what I have been shooting is a 300 spine, 100 gr broadhead.

I like the idea of adding g weight for hunting saddle in Ohio but I also hunt coues and mule deer out in Az. It is not uncommon for a 50 yard shot, that's about as far as I'd reach out. Would u all shoot the same set up or a different arrow for different situations

I like the idea of adding g weight for hunting saddle in Ohio but I also hunt coues and mule deer out in Az. It is not uncommon for a 50 yard shot, that's about as far as I'd reach out. Would u all shoot the same set up or a different arrow for different situations

If I went after something like elk, I'd just switch my broadhead to a 100 grain magnus stinger.

I know my trajectory and have the specific yardage tape for it on my HHA optimizer sight and wouldn't feel the need to mess with my tune or sight too much.

My arrow setup is very similar to yours except that i shoot 125 gr Simmons Landsharks and have killed many deer and hogs and an elk with the same set up.I dont get the guys loading the front end of the arrows so heavy.Once your FOC is up around 16% you should be able to group very well.Why give up trajectory advantages?How deep does the arrow need to go in the dirt on the pass through to kill an animal.LOL

I'm using some of the same arrows as others above, switched to bloodhunters this year. Mathews HTR, 65lbs at 31" DL with 125g g5 Montecs. I shoot out to 40 yards and have never had issues with pass through, usually recover my arrows with a good 6" stuck in the ground.

Not discounting what the man says.If i was shooting a lower poundage setup and a shorter draw length that required a little more mass to come up with enough KE i would consider changes.But at the poundage i shoot with an arrow that is roughly 450 grains it is more than sufficient.Kills the deer and the dirt or the tree on the other side every time.It seems to me the common denominator that these guys having penetration problems is that they are shooting mechanicals.And hey i am not a hater they are just not for me.They work fine with sufficient KE and good arrow placement.I just prefer a COC head and have killed well over 150 animals with a Simmons and arrows similar to what i shoot right now.

Back