• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your setup

Bowtie747

SH Member
I’m curious what traditional bows you guys are shooting! They have a ton of makers and I’m curious who you like or would recommend. I plan on going to the show in Kalamazoo Michigan this year and would like to try to find a new bow. I’ve shot a bunch of them just always like finding other options. Thanks!

I have ilf stuff mostly.
I have an ACS hybrid longbow.
I would consider a widow or a Blacktail.
Hard to say not knowing who's going to be there.
I like original 21st longbows. Not callaways.
Bob lee are nice.

LH Toelke Chinook 50lbs. Primary bow
LH Flatine Cardiac Arrest 43lb backup bow
RH Flatline Cardiac Arrest 56lb
RH Maddog Prairie Predator 42lb
One more not worth mentioning. Custom bow that has been a pure disappointment.

Love the Toelkes cannot say enough about them. The Flatlines were made by a guy named Jose. He stopped making bows because his regular day job got too busy so he shut down the business until he retires. I honestly can’t wait for that day because he builds the best bows, just about better than anyone I’ve ever shot. They are on par with Toelke shooting wise except they are prettier. The mad dog is a great first custom bow only thing I would say about it is the finish is not as good as on other bows. Shooting wise it’s a stellar bow and they are less than many production bows.

Last edited:
If you pressed me to pick a non ilf recurve in 5 seconds it would be a Blacktail.
There is one I let get away that bothers me.
I could buy/order a new one but I have more rigs than I'll ever use.
My last trip to Kzoo there was a longbow that turned me inside out.
It was grey and textured around 68 inches but too light in poundage.
Ibwanted to buy that bow in the worst way.
I think it was a Java man?..
I would trade my acs for that bow in a minute and it may be a bit slower but man, that bow.

If you pressed me to pick a non ilf recurve in 5 seconds it would be a Blacktail.
There is one I let get away that bothers me.
I could buy/order a new one but I have more rigs than I'll ever use.
My last trip to Kzoo there was a longbow that turned me inside out.
It was grey and textured around 68 inches but too light in poundage.
Ibwanted to buy that bow in the worst way.
I think it was a Java man?..
I would trade my acs for that bow in a minute and it may be a bit slower but man, that bow.
Ah the one that got away. I have one of those too. I saw a dean torges fire stick for sale one time. Wanted that so bad. I did get one of the flatlines that I had to have even though it was left handed and I wasn’t at the time. Would never let that slip through my fingers. Still prettiest bow I’ve laid eyes on. Shoots as well as it looks also.

Ah the one that got away. I have one of those too. I saw a dean torges fire stick for sale one time. Wanted that so bad. I did get one of the flatlines that I had to have even though it was left handed and I wasn’t at the time. Would never let that slip through my fingers. Still prettiest bow I’ve laid eyes on. Shoots as well as it looks also.

I would give anything to have a Dean Torges bow....I knew him. Stayed with him and Mrs. Mary (Deans wife) a few times. Boy could they cook a Mean Supper. We shared a passion. Squirrel hunting with Cur dogs. His favorite dog was named Digger. At the time I wasn't interested in Trad hunting. Anyways had a world of knowledge at my fingertips and didn't use it....It's a quest for me find one his bows and own it.

I would give anything to have a Dean Torges bow....I knew him. Stayed with him and Mrs. Mary (Deans wife) a few times. Boy could they cook a Mean Supper. We shared a passion. Squirrel hunting with Cur dogs. His favorite dog was named Digger. At the time I wasn't interested in Trad hunting. Anyways had a world of knowledge at my fingertips and didn't use it....It's a quest for me find one his bows and own it.
Came up for sale about 2 years ago on Tradgang for 800. I would have paid it if I had it. Never met him before my time in trad archery but I have a well worn copy of hunting the Osage book and absolutely adore it.

I’m curious what traditional bows you guys are shooting! They have a ton of makers and I’m curious who you like or would recommend. I plan on going to the show in Kalamazoo Michigan this year and would like to try to find a new bow. I’ve shot a bunch of them just always like finding other options. Thanks!

- Zipper SXT 60" and 49# @ 28".
- I have a Toelke Whistler 60" and 44# @ 30" on order now. Can't wait for that thing to get here.
- As mentioned above I would give my Big Toe to find a bow made by Dean Torges.....

Came up for sale about 2 years ago on Tradgang for 800. I would have paid it if I had it. Never met him before my time in trad archery but I have a well worn copy of hunting the Osage book and absolutely adore it.

I'm on there quite often looking for one. Even made a post "WTB" trying to find one a few yrs ago. Still no luck. If you ever run across one again and don't buy it let me know.

Have whittled down the collection to a 58" Great Northern Jackknife Ghost and a Jackknife Lil Creep; both about 48# at my draw. Wish I had a Torges bow, too; had a chance awhile back but missed out. I did manage to pick up an 54"Owl flatbow by Ed Scott that shoots quite well, but havent hunted with it.

I have:
-54" 1967 Shakespeare Super Necedah, 50# a 28".
-Bear Grizzly that was my father's first bow 50+ yrs ago 44#@28"
-60" Fedora TD Hunter, 48#@ 28". This bow was built by my dad and Mike Fedora together.
-60" Double Carbon Hitman Longbow, 60#@28"
-two 62" TD recurves built by my dad. Both made with Bocote. One is 44#@28", the other is 49#@28".
- Both of my boys have a recurve built by my dad hanging on the rack also.

The only bows I hunt with are the two made by my dad.

Awaiting the arrival of my first custom. Ordered a Stalker coyote w/ ACS longbow limbs. Test drove a wolverine recurve and a coyote and decided on the coyote but both bows were as fine a shooting bows as I have ever picked up and I have shot a fair number of high end bows.

Right now:
WF19 riser
Samick Discovery R1 limbs, 55# mediums for a 62" amo bow
22 strand Fury Flemish string with .021 Halo serving
2 catwhiskers
Great northern quick detach quiver mounted onto the ilf dovetail bolt
Springy rest, 25oz spring
8" Avalon stabilizer with 5 oz up front

Arrows are Black Eagle carnivore 300s, full length, footed with 2" 2114s and 50 grain brass insert, 200 grains up front in the form of Simmons Safaris. 4 fletched with AAE plasifletch 3" vanes.

Presently a 40 pound Black Hunter and 42 pound Big Jim Thunderchild.

There are a bunch I wish I could get back.

A couple Assenheimer’s out of the several I owned.
Insert swift kick to the rear here.

A couple Sovereign Ballistik recurves I owned.
Insert slap across the jaw here.

A Firefly longbow I killed a bunch of critters with.
Insert an elbow to the chest here.

One of the first Martin Savanna longbow made that was a dream to shoot.
Insert kick to the nads here.

There is a bunch more.
Insert Hulk Hogan over the top ring body slam here.

Presently a 40 pound Black Hunter and 42 pound Big Jim Thunderchild.

There are a bunch I wish I could get back.

A couple Assenheimer’s out of the several I owned.
Insert swift kick to the rear here.

A couple Sovereign Ballistik recurves I owned.
Insert slap across the jaw here.

A Firefly longbow I killed a bunch of critters with.
Insert an elbow to the chest here.

One of the first Martin Savanna longbow made that was a dream to shoot.
Insert kick to the nads here.

There is a bunch more.
Insert Hulk Hogan over the top ring body slam here.
Super jelly of the Big Jim bow. I’ve been wanting to get on the waitlist of his for a few years now

Back