• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Youth gun Hunt Wisconsin

kidneystones_3000

I have 12yr son and i bought him a .243 Savage riffle (with a 3 round clip )and tetherd phantom tree saddle that i getting today. I haven't taken him deer hunting yet i took him squirrel hunting in the past. I plan takeing him to hunter safty class this fall sometime. I also plan on practicing with him on the TREE SADDLE this spring. I might hunt private land or public don't know yet. I plan on him only hunting 10' above ground.

Here's my question how close do you think i should be when hes hunting? Is thier a product that he can rest his gun on when he's in the saddle? I really don't want hunting on the ground just because of that bullets traveling so far.

P.S i also have 2 girls 11yr and 6yr i take them to shoot the bow and .22 but they don't like hunting thier, really girly. Any advice

My son is 15 and I still sit in the same tree with him. Even though that is not a requirement at his age, I like to be right there to give instruction and be right in the action at the moment of truth. Last year, I had him in a Millennium hang-on and I hung just a little above him in my Mantis.

With that said, I prefer bow hunting and don’t carry a gun during his gun hunt so I am treating it more as a mentor hunt for him.

At age 12, I would want to be at arms length. Especially if this will be his first or second hunt.

With the saddle, he can rest the gun against the tree when shooting or on the tether / bridge for some stability.

To be honest with you i like bowhunting alot more it's not even close for me. In Wisconsin they have a youth bowhunt during bowhunting season so it's alot more safer than gun season. I hunt hunt 100% public land but uncle 40ac so i might be able to take him thier. I don't have a tree stand that i can sit with him otherwise i would and i hunt 100% Moble its not within my budget to buy tree stand like that otherwise i would. I want him to 40lbs before i take him bowhunting. I don't want sit above with a gun it would be cool to do with a bow though. With my luck i probably get shot right in family jewels that be luck LoL.

Check your regulation booklet on youth hunting requirements, many states now dictate in special sections in the hunting regulations booklet how that all works out. For example, in NY it requires you to be right next to the youth hunter in order to be able to supervise them safely. For the spring youth turkey hunt the mentor is not allowed to take their own firearm because the focus Is on safely supervising the youth hunter. I have to refresh my memory again on the Columbus Day youth deer hunt we offer here in NY but I believe there is no hunting at height during the special youth season.

I just called the Wisconsin DNR and they when the past hunter safty course they have hunt within sight and sound of thier mentor. If youth don't take the hunter safty course. They have hunt within arms reach oh thier mentor.

In Wisconsin they have to pass the hunter safty class and be 14yrs or older to hunt by themselves

I checked WI refs and they state that you must be within ear and eyesight. No requirements that I see about hunting from height or on the ground. I hunted from ground blinds and 2 person ladder stands the first few years with him on private and went up in a tree with him last year on public. I also do all of my bow hunting on public.

What is your mobile setup? You don’t need a 2 person stand. You can accomplish the same thing with his mobile setup and yours. Even if you are hanging 1 tree over from him to provide guidance instead of in the same tree or you are 75 yards away, if he is following hunter safety principles he shouldn’t be shooting in your direction. I think you are safer being close to provide instruction than being 75 yards away and hoping he makes good decisions.

I do the one stick climbing method i rather have him in a tree shooting down rather than him shooting on the ground.i use a ridge runner platform i plan on buy my son one two. I know i could hunt the ground him but prefer not too.

You have to be the judge of how ready your son is. I wish my instructions would have been more hands on the first season of 2 rather than go sit over on that log pick you up later......... with my kids both of them sit in the same tree with me & I’ve been coaching them through shot opportunities & reading body language, scent stream & other stuff I wish I’d have know sooner. My son is now 19 & hunts some when he’s home from school & my daughter is 16 she still sits w/ me b/c she’s apprehensive about getting setup in the tree alone. Having 2 saddles in same set is great I setup at the same level as she is & just get out of her way..... makes one climbing method & easier to talk through the shot.

I taught my girls to hunt when they were 12. Their first few hunts, I stayed close. As ofor said, arms length, just in case; and as Bigterp said, close enough you can talk them through the shot.

Im thinking that tree saddle hunting is a bit of an advance skill for a youth? When you throw in climbing technique, the saddle experience. AND THEN the first time hunting experience. IDK. Depends on the kid, and the adult.

My advice. Begin practicing for sure. But for the first yer or two... focus your hunting experience in a place where its safe to sit and shoot. Focus on the experience(and safety) over success. There is sooo much to learn. Even a good climbing stand for starters would be alot for most kids.

I agree majority of what you said i have one best the climbing TREE stand ever made thats a quick & quiet climbing tree stand but my tree saddle is alot safer than any climbing stand made. I fell from tree when i around 17yrs old i talking at between 30 to 35 ft in the air . I had crawl out the woods it was a lock tree stand. Thiers always risk climbing tree saddles alot more safer than any stands.

This guy is hanging upside down in a tree how is climbing tree stand safer and i hunted out of a tree stand my whole life. Climbing tree stands diffintaly have some risk .

I know alot people fell out of tree stands mostly not wearing a safety harness in fact i have a unle who just start wear tree harness now and like 50yrs old. To him is mucho thing people i work some of them don't wear a safty harness because they dont like it feels in them. Sometimes i forgot my safety harness at home not all time but happens.

Back