• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Youtube Channel - Tough Love

HuntNorthEast

Hey everyone, looking for advice. A couple friends and myself started a YouTube channel a couple years ago, a little prematurely. We should have refined our skills when it comes to video and editing a little more before opening the channel. With that being said, you will always learn as you go right? With a new house, promotion at work, a 3 year old, and a pregnant significant other, finding time to edit is a feat. All of my spare time goes to yard work, home improvements, scouting, or hunting.

So, I am looking for anyone willing to check out our channel and give us some constructive feedback. We are at youtube.com/c/HuntNorthEast . I am looking for topics to make videos on in the off season (besides scouting video or revisiting old footage). Also, throw some new ideas at me so we can improve or keep it fresh. We are pretty open when it comes to trying new things.

Our background - We are all from Maine, hunt, fish and occasionally trap. Myself, I mobile hunt a lot, hunt small parcels, big woods (tracking in snow), still hunt during nasty conditions and island hunt. Bear, deer, turkey, you name it. As for the other guys, we are pretty diverse. Some track in snow, hunt northern migration areas, bogs, swamps and mountains that would make most weekend warriors puke. The guys are slowly adapting to running saddles. It started with myself, and now out of 4 of us only 1 remains in a climber.

If you guys tune in and leave comments, subscribe or share the channel, it would be very appreciated. I am not trying to just advertise, I want to grow and get better because I really enjoy filming the experiences. Our channel is not monetized so you will not see ads or promos throughout the videos. Any feedback is very appreciated!HuntNorthEast1.png

A little of my background:
Started shooting photography after my wife began doing weddings about 8 years ago. If I was off work, I became a "second shooter" for her once her business picked up. That evolved into me becoming a videographer. I'm not the best but definitely learned alot. My wife is an excellent photographer and produces amazing results.

First off, I think you guys have a pretty good start. Your content is appealing and clearly not staged. Editing is decent with fairly smooth transitions, adding text etc. But I did see some areas to prove that would make editing even easier.

-Your video quality could be better. I'm not even going to get into equipment because there are some fundamentals you should probably work on first before spending money on expensive gear. I noticed in the 4 videos I watched, you're having trouble with the 2 main portions of video/photography: Lighting and Audio.

-Lighting is EVERYTHING! Your video is either way too dark or so blindingly bright that the subject is washed out. Here's a Basic Tutorial for setting up your lighting scenario. I say basic because optimizing lighting will eventually come down to picking lighting that works best for the subject AND knowing how to use your camera. There are other more advanced tutorials. Google a couple free ones and see where that gets you. There are several shots were the sun was behind the subject, meaning the sun was blinding the camera. Having a light source directly above the subject is possibly the worst, especially if you're wearing hats. The shadow across your face makes it look cheap and amateur. We should be able to see the subjects face.

-Secondary to lighting, work on your angle of shooting and framing the subject. Don't have the camera below your chin if you're talking directly to the camera etc. I really think ya'll are doing a pretty good job here. Just some tweaking, especially when doing interior gear reviews.

-Audio: You need to either invest in a good shotgun microphone with a windscreen, or a wearable microphone with/without a windscreen. Using the built-in microphone on your camera is not sufficient. Your audio is almost incomprehensible at times. This is going sound funny but, try to not sound like billy badass. Meaning, low tone registers are even harder for microphones (especially cheap) to pick up. Inevitably some range is lose and it makes the audio sound even worse. Try talking in a slightly more moderate tone. I've told people to talk like they're talking to a really nice neighbor and you want to be as inviting and friendly as possible. This leads to people naturally talking slightly higher with more smiling and improves posture and body language.

I know that's alot, but I really like your content, and want you guys to succeed. You will be shocked at how improving lighting and audio will make even cheap cameras look much better.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, looking for advice. A couple friends and myself started a YouTube channel a couple years ago, a little prematurely. We should have refined our skills when it comes to video and editing a little more before opening the channel. With that being said, you will always learn as you go right? With a new house, promotion at work, a 3 year old, and a pregnant significant other, finding time to edit is a feat. All of my spare time goes to yard work, home improvements, scouting, or hunting.

So, I am looking for anyone willing to check out our channel and give us some constructive feedback. We are at youtube.com/c/HuntNorthEast . I am looking for topics to make videos on in the off season (besides scouting video or revisiting old footage). Also, throw some new ideas at me so we can improve or keep it fresh. We are pretty open when it comes to trying new things.

Our background - We are all from Maine, hunt, fish and occasionally trap. Myself, I mobile hunt a lot, hunt small parcels, big woods (tracking in snow), still hunt during nasty conditions and island hunt. Bear, deer, turkey, you name it. As for the other guys, we are pretty diverse. Some track in snow, hunt northern migration areas, bogs, swamps and mountains that would make most weekend warriors puke. The guys are slowly adapting to running saddles. It started with myself, and now out of 4 of us only 1 remains in a climber.

If you guys tune in and leave comments, subscribe or share the channel, it would be very appreciated. I am not trying to just advertise, I want to grow and get better because I really enjoy filming the experiences. Our channel is not monetized so you will not see ads or promos throughout the videos. Any feedback is very appreciated!View attachment 31128
You should list the location of your videos on the first page. I still didn't find it on your channel but I see from your avatar it is Maine. I subscribed to your channel. I have one at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJrswPkVc84bX_L09kTQKGA. I started posting videos here and before I knew it I had a channel. I didn't really plan it. I use a potato camera. :D I try to show exactly what I do for information and don't try to impress people with how smart I am.

Yeah there is nothing that will make me cancel a Youtube channel faster than poor audio. If I cant hear you, I hit the BACK arrow.

Good luck to you guys. Sounds like you already have some good advice here.

I used to post videos for a Citizens for Constitutional Government group. I found there is a setting when you upload videos to Youtube where you can boost the audio. I could barely hear it on my own computer if I did not boost it. It was OK, after. I didn't boost the audio on my channel. It seems fine on the same computer I had problems with before. I guess it is camera dependent.
Edit: I looked and I don't see it now. Maybe Youtube changes eliminated it.

Last edited:
Boosting audio in post production is not the easiest to do well.

There's a saying, "get it right in camera." That means, the better you can be at capturing photo/video and audio at production, the easier and faster post production will be.

I hate climbing videos where people hop on a platform attach their tether and say I am now at hunting height. I want to see the problems they have getting to 20 feet. More action, less talking.

Got a chance to watch a few more videos. I know self-filming can be difficult, but if you want to make the step to the next level there are a few things to consider.

The camera is the viewer. Think of it as another person.
-Keep it as close to your view level as possible.
-People don't lie on the ground, stop putting the camera at ground level.
-Learn to walk around while recording.
-Using a tripod correctly is a skill and can do wonders for your recording quality.

You clearly can get on animals and have a passion for hunting, we just want to SEE and FEEL that too.

Sorry, I feel like I'm ranting, but I finally have some input for this forum:laughing:. Felt like I've received soooo much help that I want to give a little back.

A little of my background:
Started shooting photography after my wife began doing weddings about 8 years ago. If I was off work, I became a "second shooter" for her once her business picked up. That evolved into me becoming a videographer. I'm not the best but definitely learned alot. My wife is an excellent photographer and produces amazing results.

First off, I think you guys have a pretty good start. Your content is appealing and clearly not staged. Editing is decent with fairly smooth transitions, adding text etc. But I did see some areas to prove that would make editing even easier.

-Your video quality could be better. I'm not even going to get into equipment because there are some fundamentals you should probably work on first before spending money on expensive gear. I noticed in the 4 videos I watched, you're having trouble with the 2 main portions of video/photography: Lighting and Audio.

-Lighting is EVERYTHING! Your video is either way too dark or so blindingly bright that the subject is washed out. Here's a Basic Tutorial for setting up your lighting scenario. I say basic because optimizing lighting will eventually come down to picking lighting that works best for the subject AND knowing how to use your camera. There are other more advanced tutorials. Google a couple free ones and see where that gets you. There are several shots were the sun was behind the subject, meaning the sun was blinding the camera. Having a light source directly above the subject is possibly the worst, especially if you're wearing hats. The shadow across your face makes it look cheap and amateur. We should be able to see the subjects face.

-Secondary to lighting, work on your angle of shooting and framing the subject. Don't have the camera below your chin if you're talking directly to the camera etc. I really think ya'll are doing a pretty good job here. Just some tweaking, especially when doing interior gear reviews.

-Audio: You need to either invest in a good shotgun microphone with a windscreen, or a wearable microphone with/without a windscreen. Using the built-in microphone on your camera is not sufficient. Your audio is almost incomprehensible at times. This is going sound funny but, try to not sound like billy badass. Meaning, low tone registers are even harder for microphones (especially cheap) to pick up. Inevitably some range is lose and it makes the audio sound even worse. Try talking in a slightly more moderate tone. I've told people to talk like they're talking to a really nice neighbor and you want to be as inviting and friendly as possible. This leads to people naturally talking slightly higher with more smiling and improves posture and body language.

I know that's alot, but I really like your content, and want you guys to succeed. You will be shocked at how improving lighting and audio will make even cheap cameras look much better.
Thanks for the input and we really appreciate it. Looking back now I can see exactly what you mean. I also should probably stop rushing my edits, take a little more time, save and revisit them fresh instead of busting them out in one sitting. It definitely wears on you. Thanks for the tips and I will definitely take your advice and do some more research/investing. I have clip on mics but I hate them, need to invest in some better ones. Any suggestions? Next year the new cams will have shotgun mics, that was already in the cards! Again, thank you!

You should list the location of your videos on the first page. I still didn't find it on your channel but I see from your avatar it is Maine. I subscribed to your channel. I have one at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJrswPkVc84bX_L09kTQKGA. I started posting videos here and before I knew it I had a channel. I didn't really plan it. I use a potato camera. :D I try to show exactly what I do for information and don't try to impress people with how smart I am.
Thanks for the tip! also, thanks for subscribing, we subbed back in return! I agree we should go a little more in depth and gather some B roll to make the videos more interesting. More content to come!

Got a chance to watch a few more videos. I know self-filming can be difficult, but if you want to make the step to the next level there are a few things to consider.

The camera is the viewer. Think of it as another person.
-Keep it as close to your view level as possible.
-People don't lie on the ground, stop putting the camera at ground level.
-Learn to walk around while recording.
-Using a tripod correctly is a skill and can do wonders for your recording quality.

You clearly can get on animals and have a passion for hunting, we just want to SEE and FEEL that too.

Sorry, I feel like I'm ranting, but I finally have some input for this forum:laughing:. Felt like I've received soooo much help that I want to give a little back.
I agree completely! For most of the things you hit on it was a matter of money at the time. We have slowly invested in more stuff and now have camera arms, tripods and fluid heads! As far as getting on the animals, it has actually been a slow couple seasons, time hasn't been on my side. Hopefully one thing good can come out of 2020, a good season! :hearteyes:

If he didn't want to know and he is sincere, He wouldn't have asked, and you are doing exactly what this site is here to do. Help each other. You bring something to the table and you are using it.
Exactly, I want to learn and progress, I am not taking anything personally. I know we will get better, and I know we have lots to learn. Everyday no matter what you do is a learning curve, and that will never stop!

I watched your Phantom video and thought it was good. I am looking at your predator video on my Firestick on TV now. You mentioned in the comments of the Phantom video you don't use a tether or a linemans belt while climbing. What if the stick slips while you are 20 feet up? I just looked at your climbing stick video and no linemans belt or tether up at 20 feet. Wow.
@kyler1945 any comments?

Last edited:
Great move on slowly upgrading some gear. You're going to love how the fluid heads help your video stability.

Not sure what camera you're using, from one video it looked like a Nikon D3500 or a Canon EOS rebel t6 or t7?
My experience is with a Canon 7D and Canon Mark 5D iii. These might take separate style audio equipment.
Your best bet is to google "lavalier mic for [your camera exactly]" Some cameras will accept certain mics and some won't and I don't really know your camera's specifics. But someone on the interwebs does and has opinions about it. haha And of course there's all price points.

For your interior work, like gear review or scenario synopsis etc. Try to use a room with lots of natural light. Maybe a big bay window or even an open garage door. Not direct light but filtered light. Put the camera directly in front the light source pointing into the room. This will make the image softer, brighter, and the subject should be able to look the camera without squinting. You'll find filtered natural light is usually the best lighting. And it's free! Hell, try to be outside for that too. There isn't a much tougher video or photo task than getting quality shots in a dark as hell room.

I watched your Phantom video and thought it was good. I am looking at your predator video on my Firestick on TV now. You mentioned in the comments of the Phantom video you don't use a tether or a linemans belt while climbing. What if the stick slips while you are 20 feet up? I just looked at your climbing stick video and no linemans belt or tether up at 20 feet. Wow.
@kyler1945 any comments?
With a stick properly applied it will not slip, even with side pressure. I stomp them bad boys into place and hold my arms around the tree when I do. Now a strap breaking on the other hand could happen, but I inspect my gear and it is highly unlikely. If i lived life around what ifs than I wouldn't be living at all. I could die tomorrow, odds are it won't be from a stick. I'm not upset at the fact you guys are pointing it out or concerned for my safety, but trust me I've gotten plenty of flack for it, it's just my style! Some guys free climb cliffs their entire lives, I'll be okay. I can speak on behalf of falls also, my grandfather had to get medivac'd via chopper from the middle of the woods for a ladder stand kicking out on him. Never thought that would happen, but its an odds game and I'm a betting man.

With a stick properly applied it will not slip, even with side pressure. I stomp them bad boys into place and hold my arms around the tree when I do. Now a strap breaking on the other hand could happen, but I inspect my gear and it is highly unlikely. If i lived life around what ifs than I wouldn't be living at all. I could die tomorrow, odds are it won't be from a stick. I'm not upset at the fact you guys are pointing it out or concerned for my safety, but trust me I've gotten plenty of flack for it, it's just my style! Some guys free climb cliffs their entire lives, I'll be okay. I can speak on behalf of falls also, my grandfather had to get medivac'd via chopper from the middle of the woods for a ladder stand kicking out on him. Never thought that would happen, but its an odds game and I'm a betting man.
I am an American and believe in individual freedom so the choice is yours. I wouldn't feel safe. I started climbing last year and was kept safe by some warnings by some of the members here. They will probably comment. Or not.

Great move on slowly upgrading some gear. You're going to love how the fluid heads help your video stability.

Not sure what camera you're using, from one video it looked like a Nikon D3500 or a Canon EOS rebel t6 or t7?
My experience is with a Canon 7D and Canon Mark 5D iii. These might take separate style audio equipment.
Your best bet is to google "lavalier mic for [your camera exactly]" Some cameras will accept certain mics and some won't and I don't really know your camera's specifics. But someone on the interwebs does and has opinions about it. haha And of course there's all price points.

For your interior work, like gear review or scenario synopsis etc. Try to use a room with lots of natural light. Maybe a big bay window or even an open garage door. Not direct light but filtered light. Put the camera directly in front the light source pointing into the room. This will make the image softer, brighter, and the subject should be able to look the camera without squinting. You'll find filtered natural light is usually the best lighting. And it's free! Hell, try to be outside for that too. There isn't a much tougher video or photo task than getting quality shots in a dark as hell room.
It is a Nikon D3500 good eye! Also take note that's the ol lady's cam that I started tinkering with, not one I bought specifically for hunting! Works though for sure.

My game room is slowly coming together. I will be buying some light fixtures specifically for when we film in there. Good notes though thanks for the input!

Overall guys, I really am liking the input and I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it. This is stuff I will be able to sticky to my desktop and look back on in the future when I need another wake up call! Here's a few from the past, enjoy!Snapchat-1766016975.jpgFOT8D76-1.jpgScreenshot_2017-10-30-14-34-58.pngScreenshot_2015-12-07-19-02-07.pngIMG_20171102_134619_038.jpg

So your grandfather had to be airlifted after falling out of a ladder stand, but you want to climb sticks without a lineman's?!? You do know that free climbing has an extremely high rate of death, so "their entire lives" really isn't that long.....

Good luck and I pray you stay safe.

Back