• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform idea

Peterk1234

Hi all. Been lurking on this site for a while. I am almost ready to try saddle hunting. I am sick and tired of lugging my climber around, and I am finding that I am making decisions on where to hunt based on how far I have to carry it in. I also have a couple of permanent stands set up this season, but I do not enjoy the lack of mobility.

The saddle set up seems perfect. I am comfortable with almost everything except for the perfect platform. How much surface is needed? I notice that some folks are using an actual platform, while others just use pegs. I really want to respect the public lands I hunt, so strap ons are important to me. I was actually thinking of using two or three rubber y-shaped bow bumpers used on boat trailers. Made of heavy duty rubber, it would be quiet, although probably a bit heavy.

I have searched all over online, but other than the elusive ameristep, I have not found a consensus regarding the best setup.

Thanks

Pete

The easiest to find (because they are sold new) is the Stepp ladder. 2 or 3 of them makes a solid very comfortable platform but they aren't the lightest.

Strap-Ons are a little kinky for a first post.....
Haha

I will agree with the Stepp Ladder steps. (now made by wild edge inc)

They are even working on releasing a platform to mount to the steps, so it could be a double option with one system.

Welcome to the forum!

I use the Stepp Ladder and find 2 of the to be very comfortable. On larger trees you will want 3. Not sure when they are releasing the platform that would mount to a single stepp. I would not recommend pegs or small step ite.s. they will make your feet tired and hurt.

Back