• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ideas for a gear hanger?

This is a simple/cheap DIY I have been using for a couple years now. I'm really satisfied with it.

This is yet another thing I've blatently stolen/copied from @boyne bowhunter with the added caveat that I 3d printed my bow hook as opposed to buying something from home depot. This has replaced my HYS strap, packs down better, and way easier to attach to the tree.

Not sure if it's still on tethrd's website but there used to be a how to on making a DIY HYS strap. Aside from ordering a G hook I made mine with two ratchet straps I already had on hand. Used it for a year and bought one from tethrd. My buddy has been using my DIY strap for several years now.

I'm catching up on some threads I have been thinking about. Most saddle hunters carry a Linemans Belt. And we don't need the LB when we're actually hunting ... and so our bow and gear hanger can BE the LB. It's also useful for deflection of a climbing rope. Cheers.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

I'm catching up on some threads I have been thinking about. Most saddle hunters carry a Linemans Belt. And we don't need the LB when we're actually hunting ... and so our bow and gear hanger can BE the LB. It's also useful for deflection of a climbing rope. Cheers.

John,

Apologies if I missed it in the video, but what set of rope/caribeaners are those in the all utility LB? I don't normally carry a LB when I 2TC but I do carry a second top tether (and climb on a rappel rope). Also, I've always used a tetherd SYS hauler for my gear. I could consolidate the two with a small enough LB like you have and that looks about palmable in the shots.

thanks,
rick

John,

Apologies if I missed it in the video, but what set of rope/caribeaners are those in the all utility LB? I don't normally carry a LB when I 2TC but I do carry a second top tether (and climb on a rappel rope). Also, I've always used a tetherd SYS hauler for my gear. I could consolidate the two with a small enough LB like you have and that looks about palmable in the shots.

thanks,
rick
Links to the products are on the page: 6mm Sterling TRC cord and Omega Pacific D carabiners, both eligible for the discount.

I just use paracord with a figure 9 biner. a large S hook as my bow hook and smaller s biner or hooks for other gear. I use a carabiner to attach my pack to the paracord and it’s worked for me so far

I bought the genesis 3d hanger set. Did a full bury loop on one end in amsteel. I forget the size then put a nite eyes clip on it that you can cinch down. It fits in my pocket.

It looks a little goofy and is more stuff on your bow, but I love having the hook mounted on the bow and then hang it off the gear strap (I use an amsteel gear strap tensioned by an aluminum nite ize carbiner with the cleat......they are also sold but easy to make).

Having the hook on the bow seems much more secure and it is very easy to take off and on the gear strap silently and quickly. I feel it is more secure because there are only 2 pieces (bow and hook act as one and then the gear strap) and there is no way to get the hook situated funny on the bow or the 3 pieces to be at cross purposes.

Yes ...the hanger on the bow is superior,more versitile and lighter than an arrow.and it can hang from any branch any where no matter how long,the mirror of the truck,gear strap or carabiner on your linemans....it gets used the most.like when i stop hiking to pee...every archer who sees it wants it.and no my guys i dont have a patten and dont care if my quiver touches the tree.
3207.jpg3205.jpg3213.jpghalf inch by 1/8inch aluminum.1 rivet.camo felt.and sticky backed velcro.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I've had two sits so far, and trying to address issues that I've had as they come up so each sit is better than the last.

One of those issues is my current gear hanger. It is loud, heavy, clunky, hard to attach to the tree, and I really just plain don't like it. The hooks work great, but are metal and heavy and noisy. The orange hook is what I hang my bow on and it is a 3d printed piece I made. The strap is about a billion feet too long and I have to find the end and thread through the buckle each time I go to mount it.

Short story - it's a major PITA.

I like the looks of this one from backwoods outdoors that is amsteel, and I'm trying to figure out how to make one with paracord. I've got a ton of paracord, and a fid. I can order one of those cam jammers and a large hero clip to hang my bow from, and some s biners for my bag, grunt tube, range finder, water bottle, etc.

Does anybody have any good DIY ideas or maybe a video they can link me to? Been up since 4:30 on 3 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row and then sitting in a tree for 4-5 hours the last two days so my brain is tires lol. I've searched a couple of things but not finding what I want.

BT
I use gear hanger from 'HangFree' has bow hanger and two gear hanger clips. quite and easy to adjust to tree and position. Not big fan using amsteel or any paracords, too much stretching. Hope you able get what you need light weight and packable

It looks a little goofy and is more stuff on your bow, but I love having the hook mounted on the bow and then hang it off the gear strap (I use an amsteel gear strap tensioned by an aluminum nite ize carbiner with the cleat......they are also sold but easy to make).

Having the hook on the bow seems much more secure and it is very easy to take off and on the gear strap silently and quickly. I feel it is more secure because there are only 2 pieces (bow and hook act as one and then the gear strap) and there is no way to get the hook situated funny on the bow or the 3 pieces to be at cross purposes.
APA Archery has a built in one on their bows . I'm looking forward to trying that out. It's designed to go over small limbs. The less stuff to haul in, the better

APA Archery has a built in one on their bows . I'm looking forward to trying that out. It's designed to go over small limbs. The less stuff to haul in, the better

Bowtechs have a tapped hole for a vib damper near their top limbs that is perfect for this.

i cut the plate down, bent it outward slightly, and covered the whole thing with stealth strips. It's about perfect.

Back