• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ideas for a gear hanger?

Black Titan

Hi folks,

I've had two sits so far, and trying to address issues that I've had as they come up so each sit is better than the last.

One of those issues is my current gear hanger. It is loud, heavy, clunky, hard to attach to the tree, and I really just plain don't like it. The hooks work great, but are metal and heavy and noisy. The orange hook is what I hang my bow on and it is a 3d printed piece I made. The strap is about a billion feet too long and I have to find the end and thread through the buckle each time I go to mount it.

Short story - it's a major PITA.

I like the looks of this one from backwoods outdoors that is amsteel, and I'm trying to figure out how to make one with paracord. I've got a ton of paracord, and a fid. I can order one of those cam jammers and a large hero clip to hang my bow from, and some s biners for my bag, grunt tube, range finder, water bottle, etc.

Does anybody have any good DIY ideas or maybe a video they can link me to? Been up since 4:30 on 3 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row and then sitting in a tree for 4-5 hours the last two days so my brain is tires lol. I've searched a couple of things but not finding what I want.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001_130407_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_130407_Gallery.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20231001_130323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_130323_Chrome.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 103
My paracord hanger is a loop on one end, I pass the cord through that, it has a smaller dia paracord prussic on that tag end with a light biner I hang my bag from. If you didn’t want to hang your bag from it of course a cam jam works to tighten the cord.

I hang my bow from a separate cord with cam jam. The reason I do two is if it ever fails I don’t watch everything fall, just half of it.

Screenshot_20231001-154348~2.pngScreenshot_20231001-154401~2.png

I look at it every hunt and think maybe I should come up with something "better"

Sure...I could make something that packed down smaller, or more lightweight.....but it works just fine and I didn't pay any money for it....I don't hang anything off of it except the bow hanger and the loop of 550 cord to hold my vest.

I see lots of you guys use straps. I guess the reason I'm not crazy about mine is the buckle. It holds well, but is a major pain to feed the end through the buckle in the dark, while trying to be quiet, and the hangers all dangling and clanging together, sliding down the tree, getting tangled-flipped-turned around. Ya'lls looks much easier with the g clips and the tri glide buckles. Just clip and cinch. I like that.

BT

f8fc5cd07b4549d1141ee88425acabc0.jpg

Hi folks,

I've had two sits so far, and trying to address issues that I've had as they come up so each sit is better than the last.

One of those issues is my current gear hanger. It is loud, heavy, clunky, hard to attach to the tree, and I really just plain don't like it. The hooks work great, but are metal and heavy and noisy. The orange hook is what I hang my bow on and it is a 3d printed piece I made. The strap is about a billion feet too long and I have to find the end and thread through the buckle each time I go to mount it.

Short story - it's a major PITA.

I like the looks of this one from backwoods outdoors that is amsteel, and I'm trying to figure out how to make one with paracord. I've got a ton of paracord, and a fid. I can order one of those cam jammers and a large hero clip to hang my bow from, and some s biners for my bag, grunt tube, range finder, water bottle, etc.

Does anybody have any good DIY ideas or maybe a video they can link me to? Been up since 4:30 on 3 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row and then sitting in a tree for 4-5 hours the last two days so my brain is tires lol. I've searched a couple of things but not finding what I want.

BT
@Black Titan - paracord has too much stretch to make a good gear hanger. And those metal hooks on your current gear strap have three negatives: noise, weight, bulk.

If you want the buy once, cry once solution, get yourself the strap version of the Genesis 3D Printing gear hanger system. I've tried a few different gear hangers, and that's the best one I've found. It never tangles or knots up, the gear hooks don't rattle or clang and they don't slide on the strap by themselves (you have to push them to where you want them). It packs up SUPER small and can be stored in a pouch on your saddle with lots of room to spare for other items in the pouch, and finally - it's really easy and fast to mount/dismount from the tree.

So many options! I don't know what to do. I'm liking the daisy chain options rather than a single strap, just for the simple fact that I can hang my pack down a little lower, and have everything but my bow within reach on a vertical line, rather than having to reach around the tree. I kinda feel like the amsteel may pack a little better than a strap daisy chain would.

Amsteel daisy chain, Nite ize cam jam (big one), Nite ize s biners, G3D bow hook. Packs small too.
View attachment 91798

I kinda like the looks of this, and could probably 3d print a bow holder that would work with it, but i did already order a hero clip. Did you make it yourself, and do you know the diameter of that amsteel? I already ordered a cam jam that will accept up to 5mm cord so this may be the way I go. Does the remaining daisy chain hang down the tree? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the cam jam would tighten up and how it attaches if there's loops in the way.

I tried doing one with paracord, and while easy to make the loops, there was some stretching as previously mentioned.

BT

I bought one of these Nite Ize CamJam from Lowe's. Tied a few alpine butterfly knots spaced about 8 inches apart. Added a couple of s-biners and a hero clip. Thought about replacing the hero clip with a 3d printed bow hanger this year, but never got around to it. No complaints.

This is a simple/cheap DIY I have been using for a couple years now. I'm really satisfied with it.

So many options! I don't know what to do. I'm liking the daisy chain options rather than a single strap, just for the simple fact that I can hang my pack down a little lower, and have everything but my bow within reach on a vertical line, rather than having to reach around the tree. I kinda feel like the amsteel may pack a little better than a strap daisy chain would.

I kinda like the looks of this, and could probably 3d print a bow holder that would work with it, but i did already order a hero clip. Did you make it yourself, and do you know the diameter of that amsteel? I already ordered a cam jam that will accept up to 5mm cord so this may be the way I go. Does the remaining daisy chain hang down the tree? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the cam jam would tighten up and how it attaches if there's loops in the way.

I tried doing one with paracord, and while easy to make the loops, there was some stretching as previously mentioned.

BT
Resizer_16962101740171.jpeg
I don't remember the size of the amsteel but it's in spec for the camjam. I do remember making sure of that. I also didn't make it but I couldn't tell you where I bought it from? The excess daisy chain gets run back under itself and I'll loop the tail end on the s biner that my pack is hanging from. You can kind of see it in the pic. The loops don't restrict the cam from doing its job. It holds very well.

I bought one of these Nite Ize CamJam from Lowe's. Tied a few alpine butterfly knots spaced about 8 inches apart. Added a couple of s-biners and a hero clip. Thought about replacing the hero clip with a 3d printed bow hanger this year, but never got around to it. No complaints.

I ordered the camjam and a couple s biners, as well as a large hero clip to hold my bow. What don't you like about the hero clip?

BT

Well, I ordered the Tetherd HYS strap, but also ordered some 7/64 amsteel. Going to make a daisy chain with the amsteel and cam jam, and try both to see which I like better.

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

BT

I'm still using a HYS strap for simplicity, although I will admit it does leave something to be desired in terms of packability...

Back