• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Meat pack 3-day pack

Xpedition802

all, hope the winters treated you well. I may be committing a saddle sin here as this will be in reference to a non-saddle hunt.

I decided to try to challenge myself and get outside my comfort zone this year. I’m planning My first western hunt that will require packing out meat. I’m 2 months deep on a 8 month fitness workup. Nothing like legs and cardio 5 days a week! I’m trying to find a pack that will fit my 3-day pack needs and transition to pack meat easily. I’m a solid Kifaru supporter, but the mystery ranch pop up 28 has caught my eye. I’ve used their 3-day packs before and really thought they were solid. I haven’t used one hunting though.

The hunt will be for mule deer only in the mountains at elevation. Trying to broaden my hunting to more than whitetail and Black Bear. Any insight or experience would be greatly welcome! Thanks for your time

I bought a kifaru frame last year and sewed up a duffel bag with straps to make a bag. I packed out a small mule deer about 2 miles by myself, the frame worked great. It weighed around 80 lbs, but the belt on that thing is amazing, kept the weight on my hips, super secure. For me it was between kifaru and Seek Outside. Seek was going through a big line up change and I didn't want to be getting the first version of a new bag before they could work out the kinks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If I were you I’d try to find a used Kifaru bag for your frame over on Rokslide. I bought a Hunter frame and a Reckoning bag that has the built in meat shelf for a good discount on there and absolutely LOVE it. They just released a new frame and bags so there are guys dumping them on there to upgrade right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a Pop up 28 and wrote up some about it in another thread. It is way too small for 3 days unless you are super ultra light or get very creative with dry bags. I'd look at the pintler or probably even the metcalf by MR. You can always cinch down excess bag but cannot add any. The weight penalty for upgrading bag size is minimal. SG, Seek Outside, Kifaru, maybe Exo a couple other brands to consider in that class. I really like the looks if what SG is putting out these days but haven't tried one yet. I just highly recommend something with a meat shelf. Check rokslide classifieds for a lot of good deals. Some of those packs that go on there are hardly used.

Back