• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

‘Ideal’ Length of One Stick

goody94

SH Member
What’s the consensus on the ‘ideal’ one stick length? I’ve been running mine on a novix stick which is around 15 inches I believe. However, I’m seen them longer and seen them shorter. I have some 6061 tubing laying around and probably gonna experiment a bit. In theory, a longer stick you could get higher with less aider.. with a shorter stick you have less weight to carry. What do you guys think is ‘ideal’? Which is most stable?

I have been using a 15” stick but just built a 10” one to play with.

What’s the consensus on the ‘ideal’ one stick length? I’ve been running mine on a novix stick which is around 15 inches I believe. However, I’m seen them longer and seen them shorter. I have some 6061 tubing laying around and probably gonna experiment a bit. In theory, a longer stick you could get higher with less aider.. with a shorter stick you have less weight to carry. What do you guys think is ‘ideal’? Which is most stable?

In for learning about stability of a one stick on a scout. I"m also torn on stick length.

Mini shikar. All you need is a stable connection to the tree. I've 1 sticked without a stick and the aider didn't sit far enough away from the tree, I've 1 sticked with a hawk helium and a webbing loop, I've 1 sticked with a 5 step aider and 1 squirrel step( not far enough away from the tree, also hard to place any distance above you.

The mini shikar with a 5 step aider is the perfect 1 stick + aider.

For just a 1 stick set up maybe it's something else, but 1 stick plus aider I will go head to head with anyone else's setup on weight, bulk, packability, and speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Mini shikar. All you need is a stable connection to the tree. I've 1 sticked without a stick and the aider didn't sit far enough away from the tree, I've 1 sticked with a hawk helium and a webbing loop, I've 1 sticked with a 5 step aider and 1 squirrel step( not far enough away from the tree, also hard to place any distance above you.

The mini shikar with a 5 step aider is the perfect 1 stick + aider.

For just a 1 stick set up maybe it's something else, but 1 stick plus aider I will go head to head with anyone else's setup on weight, bulk, packability, and speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Stock mini or did you modify any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but i like a 20in stick with a single step aider. I never cared too much for multi step aiders, and I personally think the difference between a 15" and 20" weight wise is pretty negligible, since I only carry one stick anyways. I also carry a separate platform, but if I did use a stick top I would just put it on here. Here is my 20" Ultralight with a single step 17" rope aider.

20210205_235924.jpg20210206_233529.jpg20210206_233607.jpg

How high you can get with each move is relevant to your height/reach. What works for someone who is 6'4" probably won't won't work for someone who is 5'8". You can only move your tether so far up the tree, longer reach guys have the advantage there. And also the ability to reach down and pull their stick up too. However I've run a 24" stick with a 17" 2 step aider and it worked but I prefer my 15" stick with 16" 3 step aider. A shorter stick is easier to maneuver while climbing.

How high you can get with each move is relevant to your height/reach. What works for someone who is 6'4" probably won't won't work for someone who is 5'8". You can only move your tether so far up the tree, longer reach guys have the advantage there. And also the ability to reach down and pull their stick up too. However I've run a 24" stick with a 17" 2 step aider and it worked but I prefer my 15" stick with 16" 3 step aider. A shorter stick is easier to maneuver while climbing.

That is about the exact same as what I’m currently using. I’m 6’0” and can get about 7 feet (give or take a bit) on each move. The mini sticks (12 inch or so) are appealing for packability but in my mind it seems more likely to kick out. From what I’m seeing here though, that does not seem to be the case..

Definitely nothing over 20”. I like my shikar mini with an Amsteel daisy and a 2 step Amsteel aider. But also have a set of 20” hawks set up the same and could just use one of those if I had to.

Last edited:
Back