• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

“Technical” pants for briar country??

jiwhite86

So, if a guy wants a pair of breathable, stretchy-ish pants to hunt out of in and around a bunch of briars, what might he look at?

First Light Sawbucks? Obsidian Merinos? Corrugate Guides? Kuiu Kutanas?

Or just sweat my yams off in some good ol cotton pants?

I can only speak to the FL Sawtooth (I think that’s right) and not the others, but I love mine. I do wish they had a phone pocket on the leg though. I’m in SC and do not find them to be hot.

<Sawbuck, but you knew that>

Last edited:
I have all of those pants. And the sawbucks would be best bet. A briar will make pulls in the others. Ask me how I know.

I can only speak to the FL Sawtooth (I think that’s right) and not the others, but I love mine. I do wish they had a phone pocket on the leg though. I’m in SC and do not find them to be hot.

<Sawbuck, but you knew that>

Well, you’re in the upstate if that counts…

I have all of those pants. And the sawbucks would be best bet. A briar will make pulls in the others. Ask me how I know.

How would you rate them best to worst? I really want a pair of sawbucks. The kutanas and obsidians are close behind.

Sawbucks have been really impressive in comfort and durability just lacking some extra pockets as stated above. I will add, I have owned for 4 years and do not wear them exclusively for hunting. They have about become my everyday pants out of season.

Much cheaper alternative, Columbia silver ridge.

Much better alternative: Fjallraven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kuiu Kutana are pretty thin. I suggest Kuiu attack pants they will hold up to pretty much anything. But they are a bit heavier

I hunt in La so I deal with briars and a lot of water. I found that a pair of lacrosse hip boots are the cats meow for me over time they will tear yes and aren’t breathable but in the colder months they keep me warmer and help a lot with scent control also. I also own first lite corrugate guide pants and I can attest they are pretty tough I only have very minimal frays in mine from extensive abuse. A lot of times I pair my set up with merino wool base layers then corrugate guide pants then hip boots if I get too hot I simply pull the hip boots down and in a matter of about 30 minutes I’ll be completely dry. And if you want to take a step up from that dans hunting gear hip boots and briar proof pants are a good alternative too. I plan to buy a set of their briar proof frog legs (hip boots) to try this year.

I hunt in La so I deal with briars and a lot of water. I found that a pair of lacrosse hip boots are the cats meow for me over time they will tear yes and aren’t breathable but in the colder months they keep me warmer and help a lot with scent control also. I also own first lite corrugate guide pants and I can attest they are pretty tough I only have very minimal frays in mine from extensive abuse. A lot of times I pair my set up with merino wool base layers then corrugate guide pants then hip boots if I get too hot I simply pull the hip boots down and in a matter of about 30 minutes I’ll be completely dry. And if you want to take a step up from that dans hunting gear hip boots and briar proof pants are a good alternative too. I plan to buy a set of their briar proof frog legs (hip boots) to try this year.

Ive seriously considered a pair of Dan’s bibs.

Ive seriously considered a pair of Dan’s bibs.
I got a friend that has their hip boots and they can fold up to fit into a backpack and are almost half the weight of a lacross pair. And the material on those are also pretty breathable too.

Back