• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1-Stick Set up w/ Mini Shikar & Scout

Aaronpaul14

Got my mini shikar in yesterday and right off the bat was super impressed!

I had sold my 1-stick setup (muddy pro and artisan platform) to get a more compact set up after trying out [mention]always89y [/mention] mini stick.

I have some stuff coming from DanO to see what kid of strap I prefer and a wire aider that I’m going to use for a pull up grab handle.

I picked up a longer bolt for the top stand off so I could move the double step up to the top and put the scout down below. This combo works great for putting one foot on the double step and the other on the scout to make a weak side shot.

Oh and no one has mentioned that you need gloves to mess with these! These suckers are sharp!!

Here are some pics. Top step doesn’t fold up perfect but not bad!

0f7ca217a3aab7c03a24ad28113309e6.jpg

771ac9381e48b440c0b13b3701449fcc.jpg

20486d8cdfb084bff8da15c55a42d429.jpg

44dfad0d90a437e4a24ad043b3f1be44.jpg

4e05e9d0dde6854eef7aeb064fd7c298.jpg

a800f8e5be8715507424e413e65565db.jpg

563e57927182946d5655a267dcc1bcd6.jpg

Ok...I have the mini as well. I was thinking about doing this but now I will be doing it. I didn't think about moving the bottom step to the top. What bolt would I need to do this and will the one from OOOL work? Oh and I've lost blood in my thumb from those teeth.

Ok...I have the mini as well. I was thinking about doing this but now I will be doing it. I didn't think about moving the bottom step to the top. What bolt would I need to do this and will the one from OOOL work? Oh and I've lost blood in my thumb from those teeth.

I asked Matt today on a live video he said he just uses a grade 8 1/4” bolt from any hardware store. The existing top bolt is 2” and the bottom is 2.5”. The 2.5” was $.45 at ACE. Just make sure when you are taking it apart be careful not to lose pieces. There is a spring and a washer.

Yeah my hand has a few spots that drew blood!

Be aware that with the platform on the bottom, the stick may be more susceptible to kicking out when you put side pressure on the platform.

Thanks for the heads up. I did notice a little kick out with a daisy chain strap but a lot less movement with the mini strap. I was going to see what an OCB buckle and strap do too. Then will have to test Matt’s new 1-stick attachment idea when that comes out.

Luckily those teeth are intense on the tree.

I will probably flip them to test the difference of scout on the bottom vs the top.

@Aaronpaul14 did you notice any difference with the scout on top?

I didn’t notice a big difference. I know a lot put it on top with their minis. I’m sticking with the scout on the bottom though.

Reasons for this is to utilize that top step and I’m also using a couple steps on an OCB at height. By doing this I can install the strap below the versa button and the steps are slightly above the scout. That thing doesn’t budge with strap added at the end!

I also have a cam cleat coming in next week to replace the versa button.

I’ve also installed fixed stand offs to reduce some fiddle factor.

I didn’t notice a big difference. I know a lot put it on top with their minis. I’m sticking with the scout on the bottom though.

Reasons for this is to utilize that top step and I’m also using a couple steps on an OCB at height. By doing this I can install the strap below the versa button and the steps are slightly above the scout. That thing doesn’t budge with strap added at the end!

I also have a cam cleat coming in next week to replace the versa button.

I’ve also installed fixed stand offs to reduce some fiddle factor.

I also put the fixed standoffs on the shikar mini and 17” sticks. I’m curious though, what cam cleat did you get...even more curious as to when you put it on. Please post how you did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also put the fixed standoffs on the shikar mini and 17” sticks. I’m curious though, what cam cleat did you get...even more curious as to when you put it on. Please post how you did that.

I went with the harken micro. I’m pushing the weight rating but the 150 would overhang 1/2” on either side.

I will take some step by step pics and maybe do a video on the process!

I went with the harken micro. I’m pushing the weight rating but the 150 would overhang 1/2” on either side.

I will take some step by step pics and maybe do a video on the process!

I had small cam cleat break two years ago. I was trying to stress it jumping on the stick attached to the tree at ground level.
I was testing it and it failed. I am 200 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had small cam cleat break two years ago. I was trying to stress it jumping on the stick attached to the tree at ground level.

The #8 fasteners scare me to death. The ones I can find are probably grade 1.4 or something.

That’s why I didn’t buy a micro mini cam for my EWO stick. I just ordered the harken 150 and after reading some of these posts I might do a catch and release. Personally I’m not having a difficult time eith the strap daisy chain and I may just use one of my 8’ Amstel daisy chains.

Man decisions

Thanks for the heads up!! I will def test that thoroughly before I go more than 2’ up.

Figure I’d update this one too since it was my original display of the stick.

Finally got the cam cleat in and installed it today. Only took about 15 min to do.

-Remove versa button
-install set screw
-clamp template to stick
-drill 2 holes
-install cam cleat. (2 bolts, 2 washer, 2 lock washers, and 2 lock nuts)
- tighten until cam cleat binds up and back off barely until springs release.

Found some other #8 bolts that I hope have a little more strength. I also just found grade 8 #8 bolts online. Might have to order them!

Going to pick up shorter bolts and hoping to figure out a back plate because the washers on the back kept want to slide into the grooves of the shikar.

Here are the pics so far.

This black bolt is the one I found at Ace but forgot to grab washer for the top side under head.

0fd83d08b39b314d3f3207af5a8f43ac.jpg

1/4” set screw to fill versa hole. Matt suggested not leaving it hollow.

8918427c9cacb3396395c277def4e454.jpg

4c49fe45e0beaee7c63c8000d96ada31.jpg

42848b06879df1520afdb25e1be4dacd.jpg

14188084a2b1184b8cf19ac54edd359e.jpg

f5f8c482fbd5d9a91f509b5d09bb1898.jpg

f97875e01d32ef508e788fcf5c86f266.jpg
2cf8dec3492e9b4aadca8c07d5cbd4a1.jpg

f0915b86a506327c3fab86f355c6fe39.jpg

@Arronpaul14 is the the harken 150? How hard was it to drill a hole in the post. I experienced a fupar when I drill a hole in my EWO lightweight stick. It is off center but does not effect the cam cleat . Also what was the total length of your bolts?

@Arronpaul14 is the the harken 150? How hard was it to drill a hole in the post. I experienced a fupar when I drill a hole in my EWO lightweight stick. It is off center but does not effect the cam cleat . Also what was the total length of your bolts?

No it’s the micro harken.

It was pretty easy to drill through. Might be easier to stay straight with a solid aluminum rather than the hallow tube style. One of mine is barely off at an angle too. I was too impatient to take it to work Monday and use drill press there. Bolts seem to go in fine though.

The ones pictured are 2”. I’m going to run back up today and grab some 1 3/4” ones along with the washers for the Allen head bolts.

8/32 is the same thread for your broadheads.....and you are trusting 2 of those to hold? I get worried about the 1/4 bolts sometimes

Well I wasn’t. I was more worried about bolt bending/snapping. I don’t think ACE had any 8-24s. Might try somewhere else when I go grab some shorter bolts.

The only grade 8 bolts I could find online only come in 8-32. What do you think is more important the threads or bolt strength?

Back