• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2" webbing back band

Wolnut

New member and new saddle hunter here. (First kill from a saddle was Jan 30, last day in Maryland.)

I am hunting from a Treehopper Recon, and to increase comfort, I made a back band out of 2" seatbelt webbing and 5mm camo accessory cord. I tied the webbing in a loop so there are 2x 2" straps for a pretty wide total band (like another panel on the Recon). I just tied the webbing in a loop, but a sewn loop would be ideal. On the left side the cord is tied with a double fisherman's knot, right side with a grip hitch so the length is adjustable. I am hooking the cord up through the bridge carabiner.

I am debating whether to attach it to the bridge with tiny Prusiks instead, but I don't like the idea of more carabiners, and the deer I shot was directly behind me with no interference from the back band. You can quickly slide the grip hitch back one-handed if you see deer to create slack, and the whole thing will slide down a bit. Tightening is also simple but usually takes 2 hands.

Total weight is 2oz. It is pretty comfortable without the bulk of padded bands. I already had the webbing and cord, but material cost would be ~ $5.

Sorry I don't have any action shots.

Attachments

• Back band 1.jpg
    Back band 1.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 73
Thanks! I live in Baltimore. I've been hunting north of the city in Baltimore County and recently venturing south into Patapsco.

Back