• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2018 Game Changing Gear Pieces

BassBoysLLP

Vendor Rep
Let's hear your top 5. There was a ton of innovation in 2018 and a lot of new gear. What are yours in order?

1. Predator Platform - I am biased, but this is everything I have always wanted in a saddle hunting platform.
2. Pnuma Heated Core Vest - Finally a low weight, low bulk heated vest. This one caught me by surprise
3. Gen 2 Carbon Fiber Gecko Spurs - These are crazy awesome. I still want to try the CF kiwis but these are crazy awesome to begin with.
4. Tethrd Mantis. Bulk and weight savings were significant compared to my previous Kestrel. A little biased here but it is tough to argue against the strong points.
5. CF bolts - Some may question safety. I recommend reading the great threads but these have been absolute game changers to extreme packability and light weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1. Predator platform- great platform that is light, packable, and quiet
2. Tethrd accessories-spliced ropes are great for packing and the sys haulers are a ton better than dump pouches

Since this year was my first year in the saddle, it has all been important!

1. Saddle Hunter.com - Seriously, this site and the members have been the best tool I've had at my disposal. Hard to fathom how much information I've taken in the last 6 months.

2. Kestrel - I bounced around between a few and settled on the Kestrel. My longest walk in is under 1.5 mi so I didn't need ultralight. First time I sat in the saddle I could see the possibilities!

3. Predator - Being new to all of this, I got into it right as Tethrd was taking pre-orders. While I didn't go through the trials and tribulations that many did with the diy platforms, I could tell instantly at what an amazing tool it was.

4. SRT - still working the kinks out on this one, but I'm not giving up on it just yet! I'm finding out that not every tree will work....which leads me to #4

45. WE Stepps / knaider swaider - Still in the mail, but can't wait to get them!

Since this year was my first year in the saddle, it has all been important!

1. Saddle Hunter.com - Seriously, this site and the members have been the best tool I've had at my disposal. Hard to fathom how much information I've taken in the last 6 months.

2. Kestrel - I bounced around between a few and settled on the Kestrel. My longest walk in is under 1.5 mi so I didn't need ultralight. First time I sat in the saddle I could see the possibilities!

3. Predator - Being new to all of this, I got into it right as Tethrd was taking pre-orders. While I didn't go through the trials and tribulations that many did with the diy platforms, I could tell instantly at what an amazing tool it was.

4. SRT - still working the kinks out on this one, but I'm not giving up on it just yet! I'm finding out that not every tree will work....which leads me to #4

45. WE Stepps / knaider swaider - Still in the mail, but can't wait to get them!

Don't forget about the one stick method...i just bought 4 more muddy pro steps...I only need 2...maybe we can work a deal.

I tried a lot of new things last year. The one that really wowed me was five 15 year old ameristeps on a strap. They were nothing new or revolutionary but I fought paying the price for years and Dano’s steps got the value of them low enough I ordered five to give it a shot. Couldn’t be happier.
I bought the mantis and predator last year as well. I really struggled getting the comfort level I wanted on a regular basis. I think a step on either side of the predator to make sitting more comfortable would have changed everything for the better. I will likely revisit that idea next season if not before. The drill and bolt system is another new to me but really old item I tried last year. Setting trees up to climb for less than 10 bucks just leaving the bolts in was awesome. Fast to climb and never pop like cheapo stick ladders. I did get some titanium bolts a few weeks ago and will explore them more as the season approaches. I’m staying away from carbon fiber bolts even though every time I see a Red Bull commercial I picture @Nutterbuster saying carbon bolts give you wings. I’ve already purchased enough new gear to try before next season.

1. Saddlehunter.com !
2. Saddle
3. Single stick method. Will offer much more flexibility in sets and mobility, perfectly suits my hunting environments.
4. Platform. I considered the ring of steps but I think the platform will work better for me
5. EZV Bow sight

1. Predator Platform - Quite simply the single biggest setup improvement for me last year. No bulk, quiet and stable.
2. Modified Hawk Helium with fixed aider. - Made single stick climbing a breeze with low carry bulk.
3. Daisy chain 1/4" Amsteel attachment for the Predator. - Quiet and quick
4. Tethrd Mantis. - The switch to the XL Mantis changed me from a leaner to a sitter. Much more comfortable over a longer sit.
5. Daisy chain 1/8" Amsteel/Clipter for gear and bow hanger. - Again, quick and quiet.

I have tried a bunch of new gear this year. Since last year was my first year with a saddle. Lots of trial and error with some epiphanies.

1. Saddlehunter.com - the vast amount of knowledge on this site is awesome. I have learned so much...
2. The saddle - Started off on the initial preorder list for a whole Tethrd system. I had a Mantis and Kestrel. Sold my Mantis.
3. Predator platform - this thing is awesome! I will be using 2-3 ameristeps on an OCB strap to supplement the predator next season
4. Beast sticks - they were sweet but I sold them. I plan on getting some LWCG minis. I think they will pack better.
5. Doyles gear hoist - no more messing with tangled pull ropes!

Let's hear your top 5. There was a ton of innovation in 2018 and a lot of new gear. What are yours in order?

1. Predator Platform - I am biased, but this is everything I have always wanted in a saddle hunting platform.
2. Pnuma Heated Core Vest - Finally a low weight, low bulk heated vest. This one caught me by surprise
3. Gen 2 Carbon Fiber Gecko Spurs - These are crazy awesome. I still want to try the CF kiwis but these are crazy awesome to begin with.
4. Tethrd Mantis. Bulk and weight savings were significant compared to my previous Kestrel. A little biased here but it is tough to argue against the strong points.
5. CF bolts - Some may question safety. I recommend reading the great threads but these have been absolute game changers to extreme packability and light weight.

Great idea for a post topic!

I was looking at the pnuma heated core vest. Can you give a little review on it?

New to saddle hunting but I have been mobile hunting for a few years. Didn't get my saddle till after the season. Mine is more top 5 things I changed.

1. linesman with ropeman 1- love the ability to use just one hand
2. daisy chain for hawk helium's - so much quicker to hang sticks
3. heavy arrows with higher FOC (18%) - they tuned up great and fly like dart. shot a turkey with a Buzz cut and he didn't even know he was hit he just kept fighting my avian x jake decoy. follow up shot took his legs out to stop him hahaha
4. bow press - replacing my own stings and tuning my bow has made me such a better archer in just a year. Being able to break down what is happening and changing it yourself really help build confidence and accuracy in the field.
5. saddle - I have not hunted out of it but hanging in a tree and figuring out shots and how to move around the tree and seeing the ability to shoot 360 is going to be incredible. My took it out to my buddies house and played around on the Podium and with the saddle and he just sate there in aww. His response was...."wow your so quiet when adjusting and the ability to hunt all the way around the tree and behind you blows my mind. I am putting an order in as soon as turkey season is over. I will not go into deer season next year with out a saddle."

1)WE Stepps, 2)OnX, 3)Heater Body Suit, 4)Human Creations Energy Flux warmer/charger and 5)DIY stirrups made from 1" tubular webbing.

Dang I don’t buy any new gear to hunt with last year! Lol.
A few of my favorites
1. 5 step aiders. Anything less is less.
2. Climbing sticks. 22-24” make the best stick IMHO
3. Good boots. It don’t matter if you like Leather or Rubber if they fit you correctly, comfortable and fit your needs , there money! Nothing makes me want to go back to the truck faster then blisters, wet feet, cold feet, hot feet!
4. A saddle. It don’t matter which one it is as long as it’s the most comfortable to YOU! YOUR the one sitting in it!
5. Good clothes. They need to fit right and be the proper insulation to fit your needs. To hot is to hot. To cold is to cold
6. A good mapping service onX or HuntStand whatever you use that you know how to use. Because being lost sucks! Almost as bad as not being able to map and interpret the sign your seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1- This was my first year using OnX maps. Never again will I scout/hunt without. #1 game changer from last year

2- Merino wool base layer. Easily the best base layer I've worn.

3- Nite ize gear tie. Good little thing to have in the pack. Plan on putting one on my pack to secure bow while I climb next year. (Using lone wolf hand climber)

4- Hot Shots hand muff. Got tired of the bulky gloves. This kept my hands toasty warm all late season.

5- Milkweed. First year using it. Now I understand where my scent is going more and I've seen thermals like I never have.

This isnt a piece of gear, but a new tactic I used in 2018 was ground hunting. Never did it growing up. Didnt have a tree on a good trail one day, so I hid in a bush and tall grass. Had 7 deer on a trail 8 yards from me. Did that several times last year. Plan on doing it more often next year.

Even though I haven't hunted out of my saddle yet, I'll chime in here. But you guys have pretty much covered all the top choices.
1. Saddlehunter.com for all the reasons listed prior.
2. The saddle system. I got a kite simply because the wait was less than for the mantis.
3. The Predator.
4. Dano and his Double steps and squirrel steps
5. Short sticks (helium and DIY)
6.SADDLEPALOOZA
7. SPLICED ROPES
8. Greg, Ernie, Carl, Garrett, Dan, etc
9. And of course...milkweed

Back