• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2019 Idaho Elk

Letemgrowitllshow

Going on my first backcountry Elk hunt in september. Being my first trip, I have none of the big ticket items (frame pack, sleeping system, ect.) as well as the small things like water purification/storage, stove, calls, ect. I've been looking on Rokslide and ELK101. Wondering if there are some guys on here with back counrty experience??

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Looking for any advice on how many CI my pack should be. Will be out there 7 nights. Hiking 4 miles from the truck to setup camp. I've got a daypack I'm wanting to use, but was eying up a MR Metcalf to pull double duty. If Im a couple miles from camp and I kill, I dont want to have to walk back to camp to get my meat hauler.

Ive been to CO a few times with a group of guys and what some of them do is take a frame pack and strap their day pack to it and use that. Most of our hunts were day hunts as we would stay in a ski lodge but I don't see why you couldn't put your camp gear in a dry bag, strap it to your frame and make it work.
I used a jet boil as my stove while out there and I still use it regularly. There are a lot of options as far as lightweight stoves are concerned. The cow calls are easy enough to master, if you've ever used a turkey call. Easier to me.

Not sure if you're going alone or with someone but the 2 biggest pieces of advice I can give you is go with someone who's done it and test all your gear before you go. The last thing you want to do is be 7 miles in and find out a piece of your kit won't work.

Ive been to CO a few times with a group of guys and what some of them do is take a frame pack and strap their day pack to it and use that. Most of our hunts were day hunts as we would stay in a ski lodge but I don't see why you couldn't put your camp gear in a dry bag, strap it to your frame and make it work.
I used a jet boil as my stove while out there and I still use it regularly. There are a lot of options as far as lightweight stoves are concerned. The cow calls are easy enough to master, if you've ever used a turkey call. Easier to me.

Not sure if you're going alone or with someone but the 2 biggest pieces of advice I can give you is go with someone who's done it and test all your gear before you go. The last thing you want to do is be 7 miles in and find out a piece of your kit won't work.
I'm going with a guy who has been there before. Do you have a frame pack that you could recommend? Im wondering if I could go with a frame and suspension from KUIU and strap my duffle bag to it for my camp gear, then strap my daypack to the KUIU frame.

I have a Cabelas frame that's I bought on sale that I've used in that way. Something similar to this https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...elas-prestige-frame-only/1832511.uts?slotId=4
I used a horn hunter while I was out there, bought and EXO when I returned sold it and now have a kuiu. If I was gonna do a hunt like that every year I would probably get an EXO or Kifaru but since I'll only go at the most every other year I picked up a KUIU frame and bag cheap and plan on getting a bigger bag for some extra space. You can usually find the kuiu packs very cheap. If you wanted to go the kuiu route, I would just pick up a used one and get a 5200. You can put your duffle in-between the bag a frame and I would think that would be enough room. I see them for sale on ebay, facebook and rokslide regularly.

I have a Cabelas frame that's I bought on sale that I've used in that way. Something similar to this https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...elas-prestige-frame-only/1832511.uts?slotId=4
I used a horn hunter while I was out there, bought and EXO when I returned sold it and now have a kuiu. If I was gonna do a hunt like that every year I would probably get an EXO or Kifaru but since I'll only go at the most every other year I picked up a KUIU frame and bag cheap and plan on getting a bigger bag for some extra space. You can usually find the kuiu packs very cheap. If you wanted to go the kuiu route, I would just pick up a used one and get a 5200. You can put your duffle in-between the bag a frame and I would think that would be enough room. I see them for sale on ebay, facebook and rokslide regularly.
Thanks for the reply. Ive been eyeing up the kuiu 5200 as well. Have to keep eyes open for a deal.

@flinginairos is a backpacking geek. He can def give you some pointers on gear setups...warning as I’m sure you know, it’s not cheap gear...

Also, check out some podcasts. Kifarucast is good, The Hunt Backcountry (exo gear) podcast is rly good, Sportsman Nation Big Game, East Meets West.... all those podcasts have certain episodes that can def help you. I’ve never been out west but learned a ton from those podcasts. When I first started all the backpacking and backcountry terms sounded like Spanish to me, now I’m starting to learn it all. GOOD LUCK! Kill a big one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be easy to find one since most seasons are coming to a close. Kuiu clothes hold their value really well but the packs don't, western guys seem to despise them. I love mine though and for the money I think its a hard pack to beat. They're very versatile

Been hunting Colorado since 05 every September. We day hunt and backpack hunt. We usually use a kelty cache hauler to pack meat but also use our backpacks too. I've used badlands 2200, 2800, tenzing 6000. Still haven't settled on a pack, EXO and kifaru look good, you can pick up a used one on Rokslide or AT pretty easily. Good boots are a must as well, I've had good luck with Irish setter, UA, salamon, etc. Clothing is easy, just avoid cotton if high altitude hunting, we can use cotton some as we hunt the high desert and its usually in 70's to 80's when we are hunting. You dont have to spend $1000 on specialized clothing,etc. Most of your deer stuff will work just fine, merino wool underwear, layers, etc. Your friend should be able to help you with his experience.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Been hunting Colorado since 05 every September. We day hunt and backpack hunt. We usually use a kelty cache hauler to pack meat but also use our backpacks too. I've used badlands 2200, 2800, tenzing 6000. Still haven't settled on a pack, EXO and kifaru look good, you can pick up a used one on Rokslide or AT pretty easily. Good boots are a must as well, I've had good luck with Irish setter, UA, salamon, etc. Clothing is easy, just avoid cotton if high altitude hunting, we can use cotton some as we hunt the high desert and its usually in 70's to 80's when we are hunting. You dont have to spend $1000 on specialized clothing,etc. Most of your deer stuff will work just fine, merino wool underwear, layers, etc. Your friend should be able to help you with his experience.

I watched Randy Newberg's video on the mystery ranch metcalf. Im pretty sold on it. Can do all the stuff I need it to. Buy once cry once there. What have you done for a sleeping system? My buddy does a hammock system but I'm leaning more towards a tent system.

We've done 1 man tents all the way to cabin tents. I like the hammock idea, may try it this year for sure. Depends on season your hunting also.

We've done 1 man tents all the way to cabin tents. I like the hammock idea, may try it this year for sure. Depends on season your hunting also.

We'll be going mid sept. elevation 9000 feet. I was thinking a 1 man tent, sleeping pad and 20 degree sleeping bag. Altogether weights 7lbs. and can be had for $260.

Your sleep system sounds good, we hunt 7500 to 9000 also.

Got any tips on water purification? Our water source will be 1 mile away from camp so I was thinking of a 2.5 gallon collapsable bag to store some water and purify it when I'm gunna drink it.

I've packed out 100lbs with my kifaru frame and diy bag(duffle bag with extra straps sewn on) and did several 4-5 mile training sessions with 80lbs. That thing is awesome. I would also look at a MR popup if you think you might want to use it as a pack for sticks/platform back east. you can always do a dry bag between the frame and bag for extra room.

The sawyer squeeze works great as long as it wont freeze. I know people say you can just shake out the water, but there's no way you can get it all out. You can screw them straight onto Smart Water bottles instead of their pouch things. Always bring some purification tablets as a backup, cheap and weigh nothing. crystal light powder packets make anything taste better, you need to hydrate.

Stove: one 4 ounce canister will last you quite a few boils on a jet boil type stove, don't get the big ones.

bring foods you will actually eat when you are tired and at elevation. splurge on the mountain houses, bee stinger waffle energy things, power bars etc... you only go on the trip once a year or less. I hated making food, I could probably go stoveless and be super happy. Chocolate protein shake and granola in a plastic bag with water is the best backpacking breakfast ever, try it at home, trust me.

If you have a partner who will actually stay out there 7 nights and hunt hard you've struck gold... I'm jealous. I went with 2 guys a couple years ago, they slept in till sun up, were back at camp by dark. We were supposed to stay 4 miles out for 4 days... apparently they only packed for 2 days?!?! Good luck!

Gear wise sounds like you heading in the right direction.

Elk hunting I would think about doing more truck based camping and staying more mobile. Personally I think it's much more effective to cover ground and bivy into elk as needed 1-2 nights at a time than bomb way back in and set up a prolonged spike camp you don't feel like moving. A couple days of hunting a herd aggressively and you've either put one on the ground or buggered them out and have to move onto the next herd.

Gear wise sounds like you heading in the right direction.

Elk hunting I would think about doing more truck based camping and staying more mobile. Personally I think it's much more effective to cover ground and bivy into elk as needed 1-2 nights at a time than bomb way back in and set up a prolonged spike camp you don't feel like moving. A couple days of hunting a herd aggressively and you've either put one on the ground or buggered them out and have to move onto the next herd.
Well said, it all depends on hunt conditions and personal "style" so to speak.

I use a frame pack and put meat in bags to pack out. Tied on my day pack to use while in there, 6 miles away. I think my call is a com, ere cow. I have trouble w/a diaphragm but they are the best. We camped in the snow a couple trial outings to test gear. Carried a 1 man pup tent and small tarp for insurance. Dried food and soups are pretty good at the end of a day of climbing. Also carried a roll of French bread {that we could do w/o but mighty good} We boiled all our water and used iodine. Don't even chance drinking clear mt water. The soft water jug worked great, boil and set in creek to chill.

Back