• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2023 Load-out Weight Breakdown

gcr0003

SH Member
Load-out weight breakdown:
Please include the following:
  • Public or Private
  • Whether or not you pack deer out or cart out etc.
  • How far you typically hike to spot on average
  • Overall pack loaded out weight (do not include saddle if worn or cold weather clothing layers)
  • List of the gear you bring
  • Picture of loaded out bag if you have it

Lots of talk about first aid kits and must haves in the pack but how much does that all weigh? I’ve never cared to do this before but I’ve been doing some preseason preparation trying to figure out what bag to use and I was curious what my bag weight came in at with all my gear. This doesn’t include late season layers which could add up to 7-10lbs. I’m curious what weight y’all are hauling in the woods. I used a scale with everything in my pack and then without the pack to get the pack difference. I tried to measure the items individually but the scale isn’t super accurate so some are rounded and estimated.

Sticks and platforms can make a huge difference for your weight but with these one pound sticks, one-sticks with platforms, ROS etc. I think you can easily match or beat my weights.

Kuiu Pro Frame with Pro 23005 lbs
2 Tethers2 lbs
Climbing/Rappel Rope1.5 lbs
Saddle2 lbs
LWCG The Fix3.5 lbs
Extra Carabiners, thermacell, TP, gamebag2 lbs
Water2 lbs
Light and snacks2lbs
Total​
20 lbs

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but rarely do I see complete breakdowns or actual weights. For me I keep gravitating to a very middle of the road set up as far as weight goes which gets me into a larger platform for comfort. I also “waste” some weight by carrying an extra length of rope/climbing method. I have a one stick with scout platform but it alone ends up being about the same weight between the rope. This means when I kill a deer I’ll be hauling 50-75lbs between gear and the size deer we have and I typically shoot (youngings).

If a ROS worked for me and I wasn’t trying to pack out deer or rappel I think I could easily get the weight to sub 12 lbs maybe even 10 lbs. I think my set up is a happy medium of weight and comfort and packability. If I was going ultralight I would have a small Fanny pack and a one stick or 2TC and ROS. What about y’all?
B6DE1342-02AE-46E5-99DE-B88CC662F89D.jpeg38C3FDC3-BE4A-43FB-AEB6-BD22A500A1CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Never have weighed it all out. The kifaru pack is not light as packs go but it fits me and carries weight way better than any other pack I have tried. I do limit the stuff I carry though. Not much extra or redundant gear at all. My biggest excess is if I take filming gear.

This is what I am running early season. I switch to a backpack when it gets cooler, which probably adds 5 lbs for the pack and extra gear.
Didn't include water. I carry a 32oz Nalgene, so probably adds 2 lbs.

ItemWeight (lbs)
Predator XL Platform with Pack
4​
Skeletors with Amsteel rope & 2 step aider
9​
ScentLock Trek Fanny Pack with Thermacell, Snacks, First Aid Kit, Range Finder and Misc.
3.5​
Cruzr XC Saddle with Suspenders, Dump Pouches, HYS Strap, Back Strap, Doyle's Bow Rope, and hooks
4.5​
8mm Lineman's & Tree Tether with Kong Ducks
1.3​
Total
22.3​

I always pack my outerwear and layers. That adds quite a bit of weight, easily reaches over 7lbs in the late season, so it’s enough that I don’t worry too much about the ounces and just use the pack that offers the best load management and least felt weight.

20 and under u a pro

15 and under u a wizard

10 and under isn't achievable imo for an all day hunt on public land

I can't break the 15pound mark no matter how hard I try unless i forgo safety....i could make a climbing method that was lighter but id rather carry a little more weight and feel stable while climbing...I like beefier aider that probably weighs more than what everybody else using. 2 stirrups at a pound each and a platform 1.5 pounds.... "gear list" is as slim as I'm comfortable with. There are 3 or 4 items I take that are essentially dead weight but they are invaluable when that special situation happens that they are used for. I could replace the doyels hoist for something lighter but I prefer the convenience....if u fully loaded and under 20 u doing good imo

20 and under u a pro

15 and under u a wizard

10 and under isn't achievable imo for an all day hunt on public land

I can't break the 15pound mark no matter how hard I try unless i forgo safety....i could make a climbing method that was lighter but id rather carry a little more weight and feel stable while climbing...I like beefier aider that probably weighs more than what everybody else using. 2 stirrups at a pound each and a platform 1.5 pounds.... "gear list" is as slim as I'm comfortable with. There are 3 or 4 items I take that are essentially dead weight but they are invaluable when that special situation happens that they are used for. I could replace the doyels hoist for something lighter but I prefer the convenience....if u fully loaded and under 20 u doing good imo

There's a saying in backpacking that "you pack your fears" and same is probably true with Saddle Hunting. I don't pay attention to weight, but look at overall comfort and safety for being miles into remote areas of public land.

Those sub 10lb kit hunters must be hunting preset stands? I can't imagine hunting public land with carrying that little of gear? Maybe ground hunting?

Of course, I think people should consider Jx3.

But if you scroll down a couple posts you’ll see handwritten load out calcs.

I find it bananas that anyone carries more than 30lbs of stuff including whatever they sit in/on, how they climb a tree, platform, etc. to hunt deer less than a half mile from access with temperatures above 10*.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

When I hunt with either no location in mind (potential for miles of walking) or if I am hunting miles from access, and I need full day’s water and potentially layers, that changes things. I would never do this without a properly fitted frame pack(or my modified JX3). Still, I’m only adding 12-15lbs at most to a 20lb kit, and half of that doesn’t come back with me(water).

Full disclosure I’m not a gadget guy. I don’t bring binos, rattling stuff, ozonics, changes of socks and underwear, etc.

Those sub 10lb kit hunters must be hunting preset stands? I can't imagine hunting public land with carrying that little of gear? Maybe ground hunting?
Bare minimum to hunt no Pack out and no extras I’d be close to 10 lbs. Maybe sub 10 with a ROS instead of fix platform. I found a no pack way to carry stuff in one hand too… you could also wear saddle and replace with thermacell and water bottle. Bow in other hand.B7967693-6F64-423B-88A1-DCF880C424CA.jpeg
Saddle2lbs
2TC2lbs
Water and thermacell Fanny pack2.5 lbs
fix platform3.5 lbs
Total​
10 lbs

I’d be curious to see some of the sub 10 lb ultra light hunters set ups are but they just don’t seem to be around here like they use to. I think most people end up around 20 lbs in favor of some creature comfort

Bare minimum to hunt no Pack out and no extras I’d be close to 10 lbs. Maybe sub 10 with a ROS instead of fix platform. I found a no pack way to carry stuff in one hand too… you could also wear saddle and replace with thermacell and water bottle. Bow in other hand.View attachment 90994
Saddle2lbs
2TC2lbs
Water and thermacell Fanny pack2.5 lbs
fix platform3.5 lbs
Total​
10 lbs

Not going to lie....that's a sexy form factor you got there. Wish I could get into the 2TC, but it just ain't for me.

If you get 2tc down it is hard to be packability I agree.

I go about 210 lbs on the hoof, so I can't justify scrubbing 2-3 lbs of pack weight, because it's too insignificant. But, that would reduce ~7lbs from my kit, plus the bulk of the Skeletors which is a significant difference. Dammit, now I have to go research 2TC more.....thanks a lot ;)

I go about 210 lbs on the hoof, so I can't justify scrubbing 2-3 lbs of pack weight, because t's too insignificant. But, that would reduce ~7lbs from my kit, plus the bulk of the Skeletors which is a significant difference. Dammit, now I have to go research 2TC more.....thanks a lot ;)
Good luck lol!

And I could shave quite a bit of weight off that if I went to the lightweight 2tc kit. Pictured below is the lightweight kit and a Wraptor saddle at just over 2 lbs total and a climb I did with that exact kit in about 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 2TC wma set.jpg
    2TC wma set.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2tc wraptor 1 weight .jpg
    2tc wraptor 1 weight .jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 28
Back