• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

4 point Jim Stepps

junkpile

So, after hearing enough comments about wanting a 4 point stepp to use as a platform, I decided to take a shot at it. This weekend is going to be my last day off for at least 2 weeks, so I had to jump in without any actual dimensions or anything (I don't own any stepps, just thought it sounded like a fun project).

I would share photos with all of you, but I am currently on Windows 10, and cannot figure out how to compress photos so that I can actually share them, and explain the part that I'm having difficulty with.

Once I get that figured out, I'll let you see it.

Ok, so here is what I've got so far:

I thought I had some decent rope around here, but presently cannot locate it. This stuff I found is so stretchy I can't tell if it's working or not. After getting it all tacked up, my impression was that my rope location was going to be a little high, but I really don't know, as I don't have decent rope. I will maybe try it with a strap after I go out and weigh it.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I'm interested in a Stepp style step if your design works. I was thinking it would be a clean set up to have one Stepp and hang a 5 step etrier off of as a light way to ascend a tree.

What's a etrier?

I'm working a different method to get the photos up. From all I can see, it's going to take some time, though. I'll try to get a weight on it soon, as well.

Yes, I know the welding needs some work. I hesitated posting pictures after seeing how ugly it is. But I'm nearly out of gas, and I'm short on time, so it is what it is. I'll clean up those locations in the near future if the sizing on this is satisfactory for my feet.

So, as of yet, I'm not real happy with the results. I used 1"x 0.060" square tubing. It's ~8-1/2" deep x ~12" wide. (I'm guessing this is a little larger than the original, but I have no way to know as of yet). The cross bracing is all 3/8" mild steel. As it stands, it looks useable, but I was planning to add some cleats to the topside, which will obviously effect the weight. The lateral braces can probably drop down to 3/16" without any trouble, but the horizontal bar will need to stay as is. But, with what I have so far, I don't think I can get the weight below 3lbs. It's the 3-1/2 lbs right now, not including the lashing.

I've got a few weight reduction ideas, but they mostly involve milling slots in the tubing, or dropping down to 3/4". I'll probably have to do this GTAW on the next one. The wire just ran way too fast, and I don't think I can get a stick into some of these locations.

Last edited:
So, I attached a regular strap to it, and it does well. The strap was a complete pain, as compared to a rope, but it does make it functional. I'm not well versed in the stepps at this point, so I don't know how the strap angle is supposed to be. What I have is very stable, but it doesn't cam on quite as tightly as I had expected. Also I don't know how much effort it should take to un-cam it.

I'd be comfortable standing on it. It does take a little bit of trial and error to get set, being that it has 4 feet, so my final set tonight left it leaning over a little bit. I don't think it would be a functional problem, but it may turn into a comfort problem after a few hours.

I don't think I'm even going to load test this one, considering how heavy it is. I was hoping to land at a little over 2 lbs. It doesn't stack or fold or anything in the current configuration.

If you've got ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I'll share my dimensions if anyone is interested in running with it. But I think the platforms made from the lone wolf seats seam like a better option currently.

Build this with a platform on top. No need to have 4 points of contact. Stepp ladders take a side load very well.

Back