• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

4 year drought ended

Newhunter1

SH Member
After both shoulder surgerys, and one knee surgery...my hunting was limited to say the least. An opportunity to connect with a deer with archery just did not happen.

This morning was basically a dumpster fire of one thing after another. My hunting spot is an hours drive...when I left there wasn't a drop of snow or rain. 30 minutes in the drive i see snow....and black ice. I almost wrecked twice on the black ice. That last 15 miles took me another 45 minutes to get to my hunting spot. Get to my spot at 6 am...must of ran over something because now I have a flat tire. No biggee..I'll just hunt then change the tire. I realize that if I stay there all day then I'll have to change the tire in the dark. Decide to change it and salvage my hunt. Low and behold...my tire is stuck to the axle...rusted to it. It takes me a freaking hour to get that tire off and another 30 minutes to put the other tire on and everything put back. Oh...it gets better...my spare is flat...well not quite flat but still very low. Get my truck to a spot where I can get out later...walk to my stand location and three hours later out comes this buck.

I'm in a ladder stand that I treat as a platform and hunt saddle style.

Buck comes in from my north and I see him at 40 yards. Range him at 30...but he's coming in on a string. Looking for does...he comes in at 24 yards and stops. He's facing me directly...I put my scope on him and he sees my movement. He's now on alert and I have a clear shot at his heart...frontal shot. He then sees me...stomps and starts to turn to run. I shoot him and hits his lungs,,,he goes 50 yards and crashes. The bolt goes the length of him and stays in him. I find the bolt in his intestines.

I'm shooting an excaliber micro assassin 400 TD that shoots the bolts at 395 fps. As soon as that buck took a step to run...I sent the bolt into his left side front shoulder. With the buck stepping back...I somehow got his lung, liver and several arteries. The snow helped as he was spraying blood out of his mouth. His cavity was full of blood.

What started as a dumpster fire ended a 4 year drought for archery kills.

6e03ed1f7d62ead138fadbca7fbaa983.jpg

4b36bb44986e3f040047b8fac3ba4e0a.jpg

af14147d502eb4a8fc66d1c21f23d946.jpg

b5213bb8c7bcbbc4e8beeb8341f57daa.jpg

c0bf105780ae301a2410b22a8c64d1c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on ending that streak. You did have to work for it,but glad it happened for you.

Awesome! Way to take lemons and make lemonade! Great work! Nice buck!!

Omg. Awesome bro. Congratz.
my drought has been a problem i can only blame myself for.
my mental illness ive explained the last year or so has been torturing and ive hopefully and finally found some tools and things to help me.
awsome buck brother and **** happens so quick its crazy. A bad season can be a great season in 30 seconds

Awesome buck! Congratulations on ending the drought and sticking with it through all those obstacles.

That’s awesome! Congrats buddy, always good to break a drought

You know...when I kill a deer (buck or doe) with a gun...I don't get the shakes, or excitement that I got yesterday morning when I found my buck. I think this is my favorite kill of my 20 years of hunting.

Congratulations and way to stay positive and now you have an awesome story to tell. Great ending

Back