• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

.5 and small trees

Randy Marsh

Planning on getting a .5 for next season. I've watched a couple of videos that make it seem like it may not handle small trees that well. I hunt around short brushy trees that I may only get a stick high in. I'd say a lot of them are around softball sized, maybe slightly smaller. You think it'll be able to handle that? How small of trees have you gotten yours into?

Planning on getting a .5 for next season. I've watched a couple of videos that make it seem like it may not handle small trees that well. I hunt around short brushy trees that I may only get a stick high in. I'd say a lot of them are around softball sized, maybe slightly smaller. You think it'll be able to handle that? How small of trees have you gotten yours into?
The .5 V on the platform dosen't have teeth all the way to the center like beast stand and LW Assault 2 even the novix Helo doesn't. Beast stand will fit any size tree. When I was using the .5 it kicked out on some trees it needed 2 straps on the stand.

Last edited:
I always use 2 straps as it takes only a few more seconds and I use it as a hybrid. Rock solid anytime I've used it.
It's a really nice stand if I was gonna use for saddle hunting I would definitely use 2 straps. The old Assault ware the same with the small V platform. I really think the beast and the Assaults2 are the best for me and I never use 2 straps for stand hunting.

It will work fine. Use a second strap on the bottom. (The V on the .5 is almost exactly the same as the V on the old 8.5 lb LW assault, which didn’t have a second versa button, and people had problems with kick out on that stand.). Use two straps.

I figured I was going to have to use 2 straps while using it as a hybrid setup. So that isn't a big deal for me as long as it fixes the kickout on small trees. Most of the time I'll be using the stand as a normal tree stand in these small trees. I kind of regret selling my assault 2, I never had an issue with that. Wonder why lwcg didn't go that direction for their v. I also didn't have much interest in the beast stand but maybe I should reconsider. I just really like the small profile of the .5, how the sticks pack and the seat lock feature.

I figured I was going to have to use 2 straps while using it as a hybrid setup. So that isn't a big deal for me as long as it fixes the kickout on small trees. Most of the time I'll be using the stand as a normal tree stand in these small trees. I kind of regret selling my assault 2, I never had an issue with that. Wonder why lwcg didn't go that direction for their v. I also didn't have much interest in the beast stand but maybe I should reconsider. I just really like the small profile of the .5, how the sticks pack and the seat lock feature.
Smaller trees really don't kick out it's bigger trees that it could kick out because its only on two small points and not very wide.The Assaults2 and beast have the wide V LW redesigned the Assault because of that and reinforced the platform for weight.

Smaller trees really don't kick out it's bigger trees that it could kick out because its only on two small points and not very wide.The Assaults2 and beast have the wide V LW redesigned the Assault because of that and reinforced the platform for weight.
Yes, exactly. The .5 actually does better on smaller trees than it does on larger trees. The narrow V makes more contact with smaller trees. On bigger trees, it only makes two points of contact at the based of the stand.

Longest contact point 5. 1/4”
Shortest contact point 1. 3/4”

Attachments

• E5077B0D-01E9-4A9A-993B-AAC31DBAC83B.jpeg
    E5077B0D-01E9-4A9A-993B-AAC31DBAC83B.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
  • D5FC75A3-7F99-4C3D-9B9A-8B46AD75F99D.jpeg
    D5FC75A3-7F99-4C3D-9B9A-8B46AD75F99D.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 41

These are the vids I watched. This is kind of what I meant when I mentioned kickout, where it spins around the tree and never really locks in. I see what you mean about big trees, though. I had a vanish xt that had a small v. It rested on the two outermost points of the v on a lot of trees. I don't remember if I had issues with it or not. And thanks TK, I appreciate it!

Hey if you are interested, you can by a LWCG $500 gift card for $400 on their website, so you can get a new .5 for $400+tax and shipping.

Hey if you are interested, you can by a LWCG $500 gift card for $400 on their website, so you can get a new .5 for $400+tax and shipping.
I bought 2 the other day, hah. Planned on waiting until the next sale they run and get a wicked deal on it all since I won't need it until next season. Plus, I'd like to watch the ata show to see if they change anything or come out with anything new.

I bought 2 the other day, hah. Planned on waiting until the next sale they run and get a wicked deal on it all since I won't need it until next season. Plus, I'd like to watch the ata show to see if they change anything or come out with anything new.
I thought about getting a card.
Be careful, they could have a price increase.

I thought about getting a card.
Be careful, they could have a price increase.
Yea I was thinking the same thing, they haven’t raised their prices on the stands since they started LWCG so hopefully they don’t but it’s going to happen at some point.

These are the vids I watched. This is kind of what I meant when I mentioned kickout, where it spins around the tree and never really locks in. I see what you mean about big trees, though. I had a vanish xt that had a small v. It rested on the two outermost points of the v on a lot of trees. I don't remember if I had issues with it or not. And thanks TK, I appreciate it!
Yeah that's what I'm talking about the small tree in the second video beast stand is a big difference IMO and if the .5 had a wide V like the Assaults 2 or beast I would have kept it. And setup on a tree that leaning forward I had the same feeling they did.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about the small tree in the second video beast stand is a big difference IMO and if the .5 had a wide V like the Assaults 2 or beast I would have kept it. And setup on a tree that leaning forward I had the same feeling they did.
Yeah but those guys did a terrible video, the beast stand strap was tight and the .5 was loose, also they never toe hooked the .5…
I have tried my .5 and beast stand and the .5 grabbed the small trees way better and the beast was terrible on small trees.
Everyone has a different opinion, but my younger brother who has been running the beast stand for 2 seasons finally tried a .5 this year and he likes it more then the beast stand, but he doesn’t follow Dan or LWCG and keeps a open mind to other products and is not a Dan Infalt vs Dacquistos person.

I'll keep the price raise in mind. I mainly want to see what the ata brings and that's only a couple of weeks away.

I agree it wasn't the best video, they seemed relatively new to cam locking. There really isn't a whole lot else out there on it so I figured I'd get good opinions here.

The .75 but can't be too far off the .5. He cammed it properly and it looks pretty solid. Not the smallest of small trees but still pretty small.

At this point I'm going to try one regardless. I've gone to quite a few places this year where a tree stand would have been a much better fit for the spot so I'm pretty sure I'll like the saddle/stand combo better than anything I've used so far.

I appreciate the posts guys

Back