• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

7/64 amsteel daisy chain with no Fid? EDIT: ONE DAISY CHAIN DONE!!

eviper21

Hi y'all.

I'm planning on making some daisy chain for my steps. I ordered the 7/64 amsteel and it came in today way ahead of schedule. Ive seen some good videos on how to actually make the daisy chain, but they all use fids. I don't have one. Is there a way or perhaps a video showing how to run amsteel through itself like a good would?...just without one? Lol.

Picture hanging wire works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how exactly to you connect it to the tag end? Tape? And then just push/pull it through?

And how exactly to you connect it to the tag end? Tape? And then just push/pull it through?

Lots of options to do this without a fid (but it’s so much easier with one).

1: use the tip of a ball point pen to separate the stands and make a hole big enough to push the taped end through.
173c10bee2e9fe5bcb55f543153e7251.jpg

8c28a2986b5d80565546092e6c153729.jpg

Option 2:
Use folded over wire to pull it though.
Step one, do a 4 strand taper:
5cc7b4e962b3359f595efe45aa6bda88.jpg

02b62d0a646e48f74c972d405e03ab38.jpg

6d6497d592eef604f634646f900e9489.jpg

Step 2:
Push your folded wire through the middle
eacf69614a8c3a75233d2fc0b2357196.jpg

Step 3:
Grab the taper at about the half way point and fold it over the wire
263c6e6773833124387f73f33745cefa.jpg

Step 4:
Pull the tag end through.
39039e1cfdfd312a1e61249ace69915b.jpg

Option 1 is easier and faster.

It can be done without a fid, as illustrated above. If you’re making more than one, you will most definitely want a fid. Go to your local craft store and find a small diameter knitting needle that is hollow. Take the cap off the end and use that as your fid. Thats what I do for 3/16” and 1/4” Amsteel, but I have a fid for 7/64 and 1/8”. For 7/64, get the smallest one that’s hollow.

You’ll drive yourself crazy making more than one of these without a fid. It’s painstaking enough with a fid.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi y'all.

I'm planning on making some daisy chain for my steps. I ordered the 7/64 amsteel and it came in today way ahead of schedule. Ive seen some good videos on how to actually make the daisy chain, but they all use fids. I don't have one. Is there a way or perhaps a video showing how to run amsteel through itself like a good would?...just without one? Lol.

Go to Walmart

Buy aluminum knitting needles

Size purple

Cut pointy end to 4 inches

Touch up cut inside and out with a small round file and sandpaper

You have a fid

Did it! Came out great I think.

Made a fid with a 6mm knitting needle from Michaels (walmart is 30min away)

15ft of amsteel, made a 7ft daisy chain. Burried the end with a bent wire. Tried to burn the end like paracord...amsteel doesn't like that too much lol. So I'll get some shrink wrap.

I'd post pics but they're apparently too large to attach to the post.

3 more to go!!!

Also, this it totally worth the DIY rather than spending $50-70 for pre made ones.

Did it! Came out great I think.

Made a fid with a 6mm knitting needle from Michaels (walmart is 30min away)

15ft of amsteel, made a 7ft daisy chain. Burried the end with a bent wire. Tried to burn the end like paracord...amsteel doesn't like that too much lol. So I'll get some shrink wrap.

I'd post pics but they're apparently too large to attach to the post.

3 more to go!!!

Also, this it totally worth the DIY rather than spending $50-70 for pre made ones.

Congrats. Splicing can be addictive, though. Be warned.
If you buried the end, you shouldn’t need shrink wrap.

From the video I watched I burried the end like a tail, not like a loop. I cant figure out how to make a loop, one line always pulls out the other under tension...so I just went straight and made a 3" tail.

From the video I watched I burried the end like a tail, not like a loop. I cant figure out how to make a loop, one line always pulls out the other under tension...so I just went straight and made a 3" tail.

If it’s pulling out, you probably just need a longer bury. I do 8” for 7/64”. Or, you can make the Loop a locked Brummell, but that will require that you pull every other loop through, which isn’t that bad, but if you’ve never spliced before can be intimidating.
There is nothing wrong with just making a buried tail like you did. If you have some frayed strands sticking out of the tail, you probably just didn’t bury if far enough down the main line, but that is just aesthetic-it won’t hurt anything.

Oh probably then! I was trying to bury like 3 inches. I would never use the last loop anyway, but like you said, aesthetics. The tail is ok. I will put drink wrap just to make it look cleaner. But gosh is it much nicer. I really wish I could post pics. I gotta figure out how to reduce the file size of pics on my cell phone.

Oh probably then! I was trying to bury like 3 inches. I would never use the last loop anyway, but like you said, aesthetics. The tail is ok. I will put drink wrap just to make it look cleaner. But gosh is it much nicer. I really wish I could post pics. I gotta figure out how to reduce the file size of pics on my cell phone.
Careful with the heat. Amsteel melts at a very low temperature.

Back