• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

7mmremmag trail cam mounts initial review

cville_bowhunter

Hey guys,

Here are my initial impressions of 7mmremmag's trail cam mounts. I'll put photos in the comments.

First of all, why did I get them?
I was drawn to these in particular for two reasons: I don't have to screw anything into the tree and I can use the straps that came with my cameras.

I ordered trail cams for the first time in January of this year (2022), and I thought that I could get away with not using any sort of swivel mount. Well, I'm sure you could, in theory, but man was it a pain in the ass to get the angle right without them. I finally caved and bought some mounts from 7mmremmag to try out. I was really busy with the end of school and recently had a death in family, so I couldn't get out to set them up for awhile. Yesterday afternoon, I finally got in the woods to do some scouting and set up the cameras with the mounts.

Here is what I like about the swivel mount in general:

Firstly, you can set the trail camera off the ground. I brought a single stick with me to get the cameras at 8 or so feet off the ground and angled them downward. I honestly think that this is going to help with my success rate in images because the deer movement will be contrasted with the solid background of the ground rather than the tree/moving brush horizontal skyline. Also, I had a f****** bear snack on one of my trail cams at waist level. He snapped my antenna off. I have no idea what attracted him to the camera, it had been out in the woods for two weeks without incident, and suddenly it smelled like a tasty treat. Obviously, a bear can climb, but I am hoping that he is too lazy to climb a tree out of curiosity to check out a camera, rather than just having it right at eye level to tempt him.

Here is what I like about the 7mmremmag mount:

It is really easy to install. I put the strap through the mount on the ground, stepped up on my stick and got it positioned how I wanted. Then, I stepped down, got the camera, stepped up and screwed it in the base, adjusted the ball joint to the correct angle, tightened her down and voilà: done. I'm sure you could get the camera on the mount before putting it on the tree and turn this two-step process into a one step, but I didn't want the weight of the camera to make it all wonky and twisting during set-up. Maybe, those of you with Popeye forearms would fair better and could pull it off. However, I have dainty little girl wrists, but that's another story....

They're super light. I threw five of them in my pack and they weigh a couple ounces each. No extra hardware, drills, etc. It is just the mount plus the weight of your camera and strap, which you're carrying anyways.

The lock on the pivot mount is tight, really tight. I have only had them out for a day, and time will ultimately tell with this, but I feel confident that the camera isn't going to fall off the angle I set it on.

Last thought, 7mmremmag was really easy to work with. I was hitting him up with questions about weight and color, and he got back to me right away with answers to all my questions. When I finally ordered, he was quick on the manufacture and shipping. Also, the discount for saddlehunter users makes this definitely worthwhile.

TLDR: If you're wanting trail cam mounts that are lightweight, don't screw into the tree, and are made by a community member, check out 7mmremmag's trail cam mounts.

Take care!

These are from the install

Attachments

• IMG_1204 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1204 Small.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1205 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1205 Small.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1206 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1206 Small.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1209 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1209 Small.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1212 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1212 Small.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1214 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1214 Small.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12
These are from the bear attack, before I could get them up off the ground! Yes, he came back for seconds and pulled the antenna off completely.

Attachments

• IMG_1187 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1187 Small.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1227 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1227 Small.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1224 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1224 Small.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1223 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1223 Small.jpeg