• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A do it all platform

Red Beard

SH Member
Talked with @kyler1945 about this a long time ago and I was going to try to bring something to market but never actually got around to prototyping it and the idea is so simple/easy I'm not sure anyone would buy it anyway. So here it is for yall to prototype and enjoy!

Yall know I started out here on a mission to hunt exclusively from a tree without having to tote my climber into the woods. That evolved into a quest to only carry the smallest amount of gear necessary to hunt. Eventually, it turned into "Rappel rope is heavy. I'm going to leave it at home and only climb to a height I can safely jump down from." That was followed shortly by "Hey, I can actually kill a deer from 12' up!" And then came "Why I gotta climb a tree at all? @Nutterbuster is killin deers from the ground."

I hunted from the ground on a bucket (terribly uncomfortable). I hunted on the ground in my saddle (need a tree to tether to). I hunted on the ground with a hammock-style seat (again need a tree). Then I hunted areas where no trees were present (enter the Waldrop Pacseat). At that point I was split... either take tree stuff into the woods or take a chair for the ground scene. Problem was you had to know where you were going to end up setting up in order to have the right gear with you. Wheels started turning as I thought "Where is the one piece of gear that I can take with me and use no matter where I end up? Why hasn't someone developed a ground chair to stand on while in a tree? Where is the platform you can sit on in the middle of a field in the tall grass with no trees around?"

Now yall have seen my crazy ideas. Some pan out... some don't. Again I'll say I never took the time to prototype this, but what if there was a Platforhangonaseat (tm)? Seems to me there may be a hang on or two already in production that you could easily install a removable piece of aluminum to (see red line between A and B below) and have a near do-all Platforhangonaseat (tm). The hang on could obviously be used as such in the situations calling for it. The hang on could also be used as a saddle platform by attaching a second strap -maybe a ratchet strap or something- to the base of the hang on cleat. And the addition of a removable aluminum bar would allow it to also, also be used as a standalone chair while seated on flat surfaces (think in the middle of sawgrass) without having the thing fold in half when weight is applied to the seat. Poke a slot in the aluminum bar and drill a couple extra holes and you'd have a seat that's adjustable for various terrains.

20221117_121016.jpg

i dont know stand mechanics that well, but wouldnt routing a strap from the bottom of the seat, back behind the upright post, behind and under the v notch on the standing platform, and then to the underside of the platform work to counteract the hinge points of the stand and turn it into a chair?

i dont know stand mechanics that well, but wouldnt routing a strap from the bottom of the seat, back behind the upright post, behind and under the v notch on the standing platform, and then to the underside of the platform work to counteract the hinge points of the stand and turn it into a chair?
Good thinking! Seems like it could work.

I’d still use a broom stick to stop forward movement of seat post. And then watcha gonna do for a backrest.

I'm glad y'all brought using a one stick up. I thought add another leg on that would Pivot out and a flip up back rest on a stick like thisScreenshot_20230729_155051_Gallery.jpg

Why would u not just tether to that tree and sit in ur saddle?.....u guys are silly sometimes hehehehe
In that case, the tree was more of an overgrown shrub. Didn't have a main trunk I could climb, and wasn't more than a dozen or so feet tall in any case. But it provided good concealment while looking out over a ravine leading to a bedding area at dusk. This was during rifle season, with a foot of snow on the ground.

In that case, the tree was more of an overgrown shrub. Didn't have a main trunk I could climb, and wasn't more than a dozen or so feet tall in any case. But it provided good concealment while looking out over a ravine leading to a bedding area at dusk. This was during rifle season, with a foot of snow on the ground.

Everything obviously situational but u really don't need much of a "tree" just to support ur weight

Everything obviously situational but u really don't need much of a "tree" just to support ur weight
Yeah, I've but commented on that thread. In this particular situation a stool was more appropriate than a saddle. And my 1-stick made an adequate stool.

Love the concept you're going for! I often laugh at myself for how much money and time I've spent on my saddle setup over the last 4 years, as 8 of the 9 deer I killed during that time came from the ground.

If I decide to post up at a spot for an extended period of time I usually find myself kneeling on the ground- with knee pads on. That inevitably gets uncomfortable and I'll shift over to a hip, then the other hip, back to the knees, and so on.

Last year I injured my shoulder and went to a crossbow. One of the biggest advantages of a crossbow that no one ever talks about is that you can shoot from a prone position. I stillhunted my way into a group of does and laid prone watching them for almost 3 hours until the buck I shot came in. It was the most comfortable hunt I've ever been on!

I think a short one stick would be the concept to build on. You'd want to be able to sit anywhere, not just up against trees, which is doable for most one sticks till you let any weight off. I bet you could embed a mating feature onto or into a one stick's lower standoff. The indentation would be designed to mate with a long, staple shaped stake. You set the one stick down, pull the stake out of your pack and lock it down to the ground with the stake. You could carry a small platform shaped cushion in your pack for comfort, if needed.

A platform like the EWO's UP Platform so you could sit on each surface individually to be able to rotate the spot on your rear end feeling the seat pressure- or both surfaces at the same time to increase surface area and reduce overall pressure.

Last edited:
Back