• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"A Slow, Deliberate, Emotionless, Open Conversation" About Hunting Accidents

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Let's keep it to exactly what's described.

I'll start with 5 years worth of Hunting Incident Reports published annually by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Sources:

Spreadsheet (Cliff's Notes)

Hunting Incidents.png

Takeaways

59.34% of all reported accidents in Alabama were Treestand-Related
23.07% of all reported accidents were 2-party (somebody else shot the victim)
You're about 2.5x more likely to have a treestand accident than for somebody else to shoot you.
You're about 3x more likely to shoot yourself or fall than have somebody else shoot you.

37.83% of firearms accidents were self-inflicted

This is a limited study, but in line with what @kyler1945 has mentioned elsewhere, I think there's disproportionate amounts of attention focused on the statistically unlikely ("If you hunt from the ground, some yahoo will shoot ya!!") vs the statistically likely ("You're gonna hurt yourself, boy.")

It's also interesting to note that a brief perusal of the data seems to me to suggest that many shooting incidents are turkey/duck/dove/fowl related instead of deer related, and alcohol plays a seemingly significant role. I haven't crunched numbers that hard though, so I could very well be wrong. If I'm right, the risk of somebody else shooting you vs falling in the deer woods grows even further apart.

I'd love to see a thread full of these reports from other states, and maybe eventually some comparison between states to see if the statistics actually change in areas with higher populations, longer gun seasons, less public land, etc.

Let's keep it to exactly what's described.

I'll start with 5 years worth of Hunting Incident Reports published annually by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Sources:

Spreadsheet (Cliff's Notes)

View attachment 72896

Takeaways

59.34% of all reported accidents in Alabama were Treestand-Related
23.07% of all reported accidents were 2-party (somebody else shot the victim)
You're about 2.5x more likely to have a treestand accident than for somebody else to shoot you.
You're about 3x more likely to shoot yourself or fall than have somebody else shoot you.

37.83% of firearms accidents were self-inflicted

This is a limited study, but in line with what @kyler1945 has mentioned elsewhere, I think there's disproportionate amounts of attention focused on the statistically unlikely ("If you hunt from the ground, some yahoo will shoot ya!!") vs the statistically likely ("You're gonna hurt yourself, boy.")

It's also interesting to note that a brief perusal of the data seems to me to suggest that many shooting incidents are turkey/duck/dove/fowl related instead of deer related, and alcohol plays a seemingly significant role. I haven't crunched numbers that hard though, so I could very well be wrong. If I'm right, the risk of somebody else shooting you vs falling in the deer woods grows even further apart.

I'd love to see a thread full of these reports from other states, and maybe eventually some comparison between states to see if the statistics actually change in areas with higher populations, longer gun seasons, less public land, etc.

How many people aren't shot because they are in a treestand?

i still can't believe i ever hunted doves on public land (did so when young and with family)....it's insane where i've been.....been hit by pellets a bunch of times, thankfully never in the eyes and never broke skin

edit: you get hit by pellets when some guy across the field lobs shot in your direction and it comes raining down on you....people really do circle the field like some cartoon where everyone surrounds a bad guy and all shoot in each other's direction

I have a friend whose wooden climber base stopped a broadhead and when I was about 10 or 12, I had a slug from a rifle hit a tree about ten feet above my head while at deer camp. Also, as a youth, my cousin almost took my foot off with a 12 gauge one time when we were rabbit hunting. The shotgun started slipping and he caught it by the trigger. These kinds of things get your attention.

I would like to see a number for the total Alabama hunters who were seriously injured during the same time frame (hunting season only) by other causes such as car accident, falls in the shower, falls off ladders cleaning the gutters, slipping on ice, etc.

Wonder how many are not shot on the ground wearing orange.

Indeed.

I've had bullets wiz by me while on the ground in prescribed orange.

If I remember correctly, Larry Benoit wrote that after the state mandated hunter orange, he was shot at (and struck by a fragment perhaps) by another hunter. Preferred green check plaid before and ever since. Kind of a low population hunter sort. Low odds that way.

Also, if we could keep anecdotal accounts and whattaboutism out of this thread, that'd be cool.

I don't mind if you have cold, hard data that indicates treestands are safe and you're more likely to be killed by a crazed gunman. I'm just insisting on it. :)

Last year in PA one party of a romantic tete a tete was shot and killed by a hunter who thought he was a deer.

Also, an 81 year old man was shot in the head by a hunter who thought he was a deer. State College Pa.

Last year in PA one party of a romantic tete a tete was shot and killed by a hunter who thought he was a deer.

Also, an 81 year old man was shot in the head by a hunter who thought he was a deer. State College Pa.

I’d like to have the folks who have sex on public hunting grounds in winter in Pennsylvania as part of the risk/reward assessment conversation. Well, the remaining one…

I’d like to have the folks who have sex on public hunting grounds in winter in Pennsylvania as part of the risk/reward assessment conversation. Well, the remaining one…

His name is Jason Kutt. I don't think it's funny.

Not to derail nutters thread further, but none of the articles I read said anything like that. Most said he was watching the sunset with his girlfriend over a lake.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

His name is Jason Kutt. I don't think it's funny.

Jeez I read that article. It’s certainly different from the impression I got from your summary. No it’s not funny.

I’m honestly not sure if putting people 10’ off the ground fixes people who shoot at unidentified moving things from really far away with rifles. I would hope it helps if the rules are maintained in certain areas.

I fully admit this is a regulation I have zero familiarity with and am open to being educated on.

Also, if we could keep anecdotal accounts and whattaboutism out of this thread, that'd be cool.

I don't mind if you have cold, hard data that indicates treestands are safe and you're more likely to be killed by a crazed gunman. I'm just insisting on it. :)
Yeah I'm in agreement, just pure stats with basic comparisons discussed for what they are and not what they miss.

Firsthand accounts are also valuable. If you read and listen hard enough you might hear something.

Yeah I'm in agreement, just pure stats with basic comparisons discussed for what they are and not what they miss.

Firsthand accounts are also valuable. If you read and listen hard enough you might hear something.

Stat not mentioned:

7 firearms deaths
7 treestand deaths

No mention if any are correlated. Otherwise, it's equal opportunity, ground vs elevated in Alabama, during this small period.

Back