Affordable Sleeping bag for Big Guy

Discussion in 'Backcountry Hunting/Camping' started by d_rek, Mar 6, 2017.

1. d_rek

d_rek Active Member

Been looking around for an affordable (less than $150) backpacking sleeping bag or a big guy. I'm 6'3", 230lbs, wide shoulders, big feet.

Some of the mummy bags I tried at REI felt way too restrictive. The ones that weren't were north of $200 and out of my budget for something I may only use once or twice a year.

I'm doing a backpacking trip in May and need something good down to 15F (you never know what the overnight temps will be in nothern MI, but you can bet they will get down to at least 40F, if not colder).

So I need it to be able to stuff into a 5200cu.in. frame pack. It doesn't need to be fancy, but it should be fairly compressible - down to 12"x8" or would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    d_rek

ImThere likes this.
  2. bowhunter15

bowhunter15 Active Member

I may have something of use. I'm looking at upgrading my bag, which is a Sierra Designs 15F Long 650 fill down bag. I can get specs when I get home if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. d_rek

d_rek Active Member

I'm interested. I'm 74" top to bottom, and it's looking like a long bag is what i'll need.

I'm looking at their bags right now. Is a traditional mummy-style or the mobile mummy with that little hood?

4. bowhunter15

bowhunter15 Active Member

5. d_rek

d_rek Active Member

I just ordered a sierra designs zissou 15F in long for $140. Price can't be beat anywhere else I've found it. Hopefully it will fit me well. This is right in my budget and the temp range should be good. Now just have to find a sleeping pad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk