• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Affordable Sleeping bag for Big Guy

d_rek

Been looking around for an affordable (less than $150) backpacking sleeping bag or a big guy. I'm 6'3", 230lbs, wide shoulders, big feet.

Some of the mummy bags I tried at REI felt way too restrictive. The ones that weren't were north of $200 and out of my budget for something I may only use once or twice a year.

I'm doing a backpacking trip in May and need something good down to 15F (you never know what the overnight temps will be in nothern MI, but you can bet they will get down to at least 40F, if not colder).

So I need it to be able to stuff into a 5200cu.in. frame pack. It doesn't need to be fancy, but it should be fairly compressible - down to 12"x8" or would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
d_rek

I may have something of use. I'm looking at upgrading my bag, which is a Sierra Designs 15F Long 650 fill down bag. I can get specs when I get home if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I may have something of use. I'm looking at upgrading my bag, which is a Sierra Designs 15F Long 650 fill down bag. I can get specs when I get home if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm interested. I'm 74" top to bottom, and it's looking like a long bag is what i'll need.

I'm looking at their bags right now. Is a traditional mummy-style or the mobile mummy with that little hood?

I just ordered a sierra designs zissou 15F in long for $140. Price can't be beat anywhere else I've found it. Hopefully it will fit me well. This is right in my budget and the temp range should be good. Now just have to find a sleeping pad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update... the bag was from massdrop but wouldn't have shipped until mid-April. I ended up buying an REI Radiant 20F down bag ing long and got it during their co-op clearance for $98 along with a Nemo Cosmo 30XL sleeping pad for $100.

The bag fits me great and I will get a chance to use it the first weekend in May for a backpacking trip in NELP Michigan...

Back