• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider and etrier

M Jazzi

I see some of you guys using aiders. What are some tips to get your foot in the aider. The tree seems to get in the way and makes it harder to slip the foot all the way in. Thanks

What aider are you using? It matters. But the technique is 'fish' your foot into the loop rather than trying to climb it like a ladder.

If you get your foot into the loop as far as you can... then move your foot OUT TO THE SIDE to take up the slack, you can then slowly put your weight on it knowing that your foot is secure and you won't get any surprises.

What are you planning to hang the Aider from?

I have a small 'packable' aider on my bottom climbing stick. I wrapped the steps with a rubber hose and covered the hose in tape. Super easy to use

What aider are you using? It matters. But the technique is 'fish' your foot into the loop rather than trying to climb it like a ladder.

If you get your foot into the loop as far as you can... then move your foot OUT TO THE SIDE to take up the slack, you can then slowly put your weight on it knowing that your foot is secure and you won't get any surprises.

Thanks. I added a two step aider to the bottom of the muddy stick. To add structure to the step i fished the webbing thru a segment of stiff plastic drain hose. Works pretty slick. Personally i hate packing the stick and want to try the full 5 step like you have. Back to the woods for more practice. Thank you for the tip

You'll likely find that 5 steps is too long for a Stick. It depends upon how high you can reach and set your stick.

I have single loops on my higher sticks. I just used tubular webbing. The web is hollow and I put rope INSIDE the webbing and tied with an overhand to form the loop

When I use 5 steps it is on a tether and it is set about as high as I can reach.

I use a 4 step aider nothing else and its not that hard (nor slow) to do if you take your time and make sure that your foot placement is correct...I'll gladly sacrifice a little time just to not have the weight nor potential clank!

I recently added (1) 20" aider to 3 of my 4 muddy pros. Didnt do the top one not really sure why lol. But I used 1" tubular webbing with a piece of Rubber belt (From HVAC systems) slid inside to keep it open. I tired the first climb yesterday and it's not hard just be sure to Fish the foot securely in the aider.

I use a 4 step aider nothing else and its not that hard (nor slow) to do if you take your time and make sure that your foot placement is correct...I'll gladly sacrifice a little time just to not have the weight nor potential clank!

Teach me master! I feel like a monkey swinging all over banging into the tree. It would be nice to just take that in the woods but man! I'm gonna kill myself! I need some video.

Teach me master! I feel like a monkey swinging all over banging into the tree. It would be nice to just take that in the woods but man! I'm gonna kill myself! I need some video.
If you want to make it easy, take the time to tend your linesmans belt as you move up the Aider. It gives you another point of balance and takes strain off your body

When you weight the Aider, be sure to drive your feet DOWN. The Aider will always want to swing to the low side of a leaning tree. Don't fight it, you'll lose

I placed my sticks on the leaning aide so it swings away from the trunk as long as it's not a huge lean.

Back