• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider concealment?

Waymore

I just picked up a couple CMI 3 step aiders in order to get higher than the single steps I made. One is purple and 1 is orange. I am thinking of painting paint them or even try camo form tape to conceal them better. My concern is that an approaching deer will see something new and put them on full alert. Is this a legitimate concern?

Rit synthetic "Dye More". $5 at Walmart. I did a BRIGHT pink and a yellow one that are now very solid black. I might put some marking tape on the corners so I can see in the dark

Yeah I just smoked a doe at 8 yards couple days ago, she never knew I was there.. lol

I've used aiders for couple years. Deer at base of tree never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to hear. I know my dog goes nuts anytime something is new in the yard

Yeah i dyed my aiders with the rit dye. Super simple fix and never had an issue even in high winds they did not sway much if it all.

Yeah i dyed my aiders with the rit dye. Super simple fix and never had an issue even in high winds they did not sway much if it all.
How long do you need to let them air out after dyeing? I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a couple metolious aiders to replace my diy ones but they are red and yellow.

No need to air them out. You do need to let them air dry completely after dying them.

Reactions: JWS
Was at Walmart could find any dye. I am leaving for a 4 day trip in a couple days so I might try some activate carbon I have . That stuff usually turns everything black

I got busted because of a strap blowing weirdly in the wind. I try to tie everything up if I remember.

I have a dark blue one, a yellow one, and a green one to my knowledge they haven't messed up a hunt yet

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

I think as hunters we're always overly cautious about camo. For me it's a mental thing. I camouflage everything even though the stock color would realistically be fine. I threw my tan and green homemade stick extensions out in favor of the camo webbing, but the solid color ones had always done fine. I don't think I've ever been busted visually for something that wasn't moving, regardless of color.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think as hunters we're always overly cautious about camo. For me it's a mental thing. I camouflage everything even though the stock color would realistically be fine. I threw my tan and green homemade stick extensions out in favor of the camo webbing, but the solid color ones had always done fine. I don't think I've ever been busted visually for something that wasn't moving, regardless of color.

There's something to be said about the two legged animals not noticing your either. I don't want anyone to know where I'm hunting. My sure thing stand is about 10 yards from a main jogging trail through the woods on the edge of a field. Even my hunting buddys that know I'm hunting out of that tree and have a clear view of it from the trail never seem to know if I'm in it or not.

There's something to be said about the two legged animals not noticing your either. I don't want anyone to know where I'm hunting. My sure thing stand is about 10 yards from a main jogging trail through the woods on the edge of a field. Even my hunting buddys that know I'm hunting out of that tree and have a clear view of it from the trail never seem to know if I'm in it or not.
That's one of the reasons I hate it when hunting accessories come with black straps. I can't tell you how many trail cams, stands, and sticks I've spotted in the woods because of those horizontal black lines contrasting on the bark.

Back