• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider ideas

FredBear86

Nov 21, 2020
Looking for ideas to incorporate into the steps of amsteel aiders to add stiffness. Currently the ones I have have some rubber tubing and with big boots they start closing up and don't leave room to get your foot in. What's some ideas of something to use for the foot section?

Bigfoot522

Oct 9, 2019
What I can give you is that my experience with what I will refer to as "neck tie" aider is just as you explained. Being an aider that is tied or choked to the stik itself.
I prefer an aider to attach to the stik with the ends several inches apart, like a swing on a tree branch.
This greatly improves ease of use.

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
I think garden hose or similar has been used

Fgirtyman

SH Member
Apr 24, 2022
Northwest Wisconsin
WEBSITE
flirtygirty.com
Looking for ideas to incorporate into the steps of amsteel aiders to add stiffness. Currently the ones I have have some rubber tubing and with big boots they start closing up and don't leave room to get your foot in. What's some ideas of something to use for the foot section?
I showed a friend on how to use a swaider. Pretty slick with your sticks and saddle.
I don’t use them much but he loves it. Check out EWO or you tube videos. Just an idea for you. Good luck.

Iron_llama

Aug 4, 2020
NW MN
I've seen PEX pipe and washing machine hose used. The garden hose I used on a DIY aider was way too floppity to be useful.

If your stiffiner is rigid enough to bear your weight, it's also probably rigid enough to cut through your material. You might add some chafing gear or adjust your design to facilitate inspecting it.

I'm also playing with an idea to use two cam-lock tie-down straps as an aider, one on each foot. Footloops stay on your feet as in 2TC or knaider-swaider. Too cold to experiment with proof-of-concept at the moment but we'll see what the spring holds.