• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternate climbing stick rope mod?

Williston716

Can't find it now, but I saw in a thread someone had drilled through the sides of the square tube, and used a bolt long enough to pass through nylon spacers on both sides, to facilitate the use of a "boat cleat hitch knot". Could probably use a cam strap as well with the end loops over the post on opposite sides?
Has anyone tried this setup?

Cleats are awesome for securing non life support equipment.

Cam cleat works great but has moving parts.

Tethrd basically has a cleat on their one sticks.

JX3 has a slightly different style of cleat on their sticks and I can confirm it’s simple quick and quiet to use.

I have DIY welded sticks and we use regular ole dock style boat cleat.

So long as you load the stick appropriately( loaded from both sides of the tube, or front or back) and the bolt as well(grade 8 sounds nice, but most applications on sticks don’t have it loaded from one side), you’ll be fine. In other words, one side of your rope can’t terminate on the stick tube, and the other on one side of the bolt. You’ll create some unwanted forces on that bolt and tube.

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking of feeding the rope from inside the tube with a stopper knot, having it exit directly behind the bolt?

Back