• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ameristep tree step ratchet strap set up

Saddle9

Ok I think I am not thinking the whole set-up through. I have a ratchet strap that I intent to use but on both ends there is a strap with a S hook on it. How do you set up the ratchet strap with out the S hook is there some thing I am missing?

I have been thinking about the ratchet strap and can't seem to wrap how the strap would be attached to the tree. AGAIN I am over thinking but can someone please help me.

You don't want any S hooks. Cut them both off. One end needs to be sewn to the ratchet strap. The other/free end needs to be fed into the ratchet every time you use it.

You need an "endless loop" ratchet strap.

36520_full.jpg

G2 - did you read that tag?
I'm not hanging in anything in a tree with a tag that reads 666!

That being written, it is probably a much higher rated ratchet than the one that I am currently using...

To your point, I agree that you need to cut off the hooks and sew the strap back onto the buckle.

Scott F said:
G2 - did you read that tag?
I'm not hanging in anything in a tree with a tag that reads 666!

That being written, it is probably a much higher rated ratchet than the one that I am currently using...

To your point, I agree that you need to cut off the hooks and sew the strap back onto the buckle.

I didn't see that. :evil:

Most ratchet straps and buckles that come with tree stands or sticks are probably rates lower than that. The buckle is usually the weak link and a system is only as strong as it weakest link. But with that said, the way the buckle is tested for that work load probably wouldn't get anywhere close to that weight on it when wrapped around a tree. A lot of the weight is distributed to the strap and tree and not directly to the buckle as it was tested. I'm no expert on the matter, just my thoughts. Maybe someone in the industry could tell us what we need to know.
But I wouldn't be scared of that buckle in my opinion.

Back