• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel instead of steel cables

Windwalker

Has anyone ever swapped out the steel cables on their hang on stand with amsteel whoopie slings? I find myself using my windwalker less and less every year but regardless it's time to replace the steel cables that connect the seat post to the platform. I would think it would have its advantages being cheaper (since I have 1/4" laying around), stronger, quieter, and could then self level to the tree.

Yeah depending on the stand you need to be careful about cutting/abrasion and consider an eyelet but I plan to do it when I build my ideal treestand. I believe diysportsman/bowhunter15 has mentioned it too but not sure if he has done it.

I did it a while back. When I made it I ran tubing similar to fish tank bubbler tubing through both ends to protect it from abrasion. I haven’t used it much so I have no idea if that is enough protection.

f4255965089db12628e96e8304840a44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it on a Millenium M100 a couple years ago. Worked great the couple times I used it before I sold the stand. I had a thread on ArcheryTalk about it. I’ll try and find a link if interested

I’m gonna have some extra 1/4” & this has me brainstorming. There is a stand I want that doesn’t level easily.

This will make using it doable.

Definitely want to do this to my non-leveling lockons. Looks like he used 1/8”. Think that’s what I’m gonna use. Should be plenty strong.

I wonder if there’s something you could put over the Amsteel to protect it from sun and weather.

Definitely want to do this to my non-leveling lockons. Looks like he used 1/8”. Think that’s what I’m gonna use. Should be plenty strong.

I wonder if there’s something you could put over the Amsteel to protect it from sun and weather.

A thin piece of tubular webbing. Some winch cables come with it on the back end.

Back