• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

amsteel is amsteel???

kenn1320

Ive been seeing post about frayed amsteel and scratching my head. My stuff just doesnt look like its getting worn like I read about here. Ive used a lot of amsteel blue on sticks, bridges, gear strap, pull up rope, etc. I was placing an order for some stuff on amazon and happened to read a post on here about winch line on amazon, so I clicked the link and added it to my cart. Before I even cut the zip tie off, I could tell this was not amsteel blue. Granted it might be dyneema, but it does not feel like what Im used to. Its starchy for lack of a better description. I grab it and push it together like you do for splicing and it springs open easily, but then it stays open. The groups of fibers seem to be lacking volume/number of strands when compared to amsteel blue of same 1/4" diameter. I cant speak for its durability, but without a doubt it is not the same product as amsteel blue. I got 50ft with a metal eye and a piece of abrasion sleeve for $20. I will use it as a 1 stick rope with a cam cleat, but Im going to do a full bury. Your mileage may vary, but there is no way Im making a bridge out of this stuff.

I've been using the same stuff and prefer it. Amsteel has a proprietary Samson coating, but is the exact same material. Only difference is the fiber coating according to my research. I've had zero problems with it. But, I agree. Stick with what your comfortable with!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is it fraying your seeing or splices showing through? The latter gets those of us to the game a bit excited sometimes

Is it fraying your seeing or splices showing through? The latter gets those of us to the game a bit excited sometimes
I dont see any fraying, but read people stop using it due to all the fraying. Its gotta be they are using this cheap stuff.

There are different strengths of dyneema, Sk35, SK60, SK75 & SK78, etc. It seems the stronger it is the more coating it gets. Samson’s Amsteel is about in the middle strength wise when comparing break strengths.

What’s the coating anyways? Samthane like on their Stable Braid? I think it’s just water based polyurethane but I wonder if it’s some proprietary or trade secret stuff with other additives.

I did a full bury and can see tiny fraying already. Should be interesting when it encounters bark. Its the light gray. Dark stuff is amsteel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201223-220746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201223-220746_Gallery.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 37
Back