• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle9

I have questions about the amsteel rope weathering and wear and tear itself.

I have a couple spots that I want to prep and hang platforms well before season starts Oct. 1. I would not be entering the stand location until late Oct. How does the amsteel rope weather? I don't want to hang the platform cam it over and then leave it until the time is right and then climb the platform and have the amsteel rope not hold up do to weathering and being held tight to the tree for such a long time. What are your thoughts?

I have questions about the amsteel rope weathering and wear and tear itself.

I have a couple spots that I want to prep and hang platforms well before season starts Oct. 1. I would not be entering the stand location until late Oct. How does the amsteel rope weather? I don't want to hang the platform cam it over and then leave it until the time is right and then climb the platform and have the amsteel rope not hold up do to weathering and being held tight to the tree for such a long time. What are your thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't have an issue leaving a platform with an steel out all season if it weren't for the fact that I hunt public land and can't. Am steel's initial intention was for the marine industry as docking line. It then became popular with atv winch usage. I know the winch line on the UTV for my work has been in service for a couple years and gets used often with no breakage yet.
I'd say go for it but check it often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There in lies the issue once I hang the platform, I will not be entire the stand site until I actually go in to hunt it. I have hung and hunted my platform three times last year harvesting two bucks. On all three trees the Am steel rope cut into the trees pretty aggressively from being cammed over. Yes I get that it is supposed to be extremely tight. I completely feel safe with the platform. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same thoughts I have been having.

Back