• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel vs Other Options

Jajtner01

Apr 2, 2014
San Diego, CA
So I've noticed that alot of people are using amsteel for alot of different mods on this site. I'm wondering if there's a reason for not using another high break strength cord like UHMWPE Poly cord?

I can seem to find it cheaper on Amazon, and it seems to have a high enough break strength (2200# @ 1/8" Dia).

Before I start using it I just wanted to see if others had tried and ran into issues.

Mar 30, 2017
Upstate SC
I think the price differential is marginal enough that Amsteel wins the contest hands down. Lighter, stronger, rot and mildew resistant. Its damn near the perfect rope for alot of applications.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Scott F

Feb 15, 2015
Tampa, Florida
So I've noticed that alot of people are using amsteel for alot of different mods on this site. I'm wondering if there's a reason for not using another high break strength cord like UHMWPE Poly cord?

I can seem to find it cheaper on Amazon, and it seems to have a high enough break strength (2200# @ 1/8" Dia).

Before I start using it I just wanted to see if others had tried and ran into issues.
Just use what G2 uses and you will be fine...
Hahaha

I dont know how much cost savings it would be for the length of amsteel that I buy, but I have a certain peace of mind knowing that amsteel will keep me safe enough to hunt another day whenever I am suspended by it.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Oct 31, 2016
Bottom of the boot

I started with 1/8” for bridge material and it served me well, however I started using the necessary 1/4” for rope mods on sticks and steps. In doing this I simplified things and kept all recent rope purchases to the 1/4” for all applications. 1/4” is easier to work with but neither is really hard.

TheTracker

Oct 30, 2016
I think the price differential is marginal enough that Amsteel wins the contest hands down. Lighter, stronger, rot and mildew resistant. Its damn near the perfect rope for alot of applications.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Theres a reason that alot of climbers dont use amsteel, It loses around 80% of its strength when tied in certain knots and it doesnt have the knotability of other climbing ropes. Plus it was mainly designed for winches.
Knots weaken ropes considerably. 50% is a rule of thumb, but can go up to 80%, yes.
But don't forget, hardware can weaken ropes just as much or more. A really sharp bend over an edge or hardware with a small diameter can be worse than a bad knot. Even dynamic forces can permanently weaken a rope.
So, two lessons: avoid bad knots, bad hardware, and undue dynamic forces, and calculate strength-to-weight ratios at 10-to-1 if you want a decent margin of safety with a rope that's rated for life support. It definitely has a lot of good uses for it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: brydan

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
Never tie a knot in Amsteel. You should splice it 100% of the time. Knots DO NOT work on dyneema ropes like Amsteel Blue. Plus knots weaken any rope by 30%-50% depending on the rope and who you ask. Splicing allows you to retain nearly 100% of the ropes original strength.

You also don't want to use Amsteel in a situation where you need a rope with dynamic properties. It has virtually no stretch at all. That's why I stick to climbing rope for my tether and keep the Amsteel only as a bridge. My tether will stretch, the Amsteel will not.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

bowhuntr09

SH Member
Jul 28, 2018
Midlothian, VA
Never tie a knot in Amsteel. You should splice it 100% of the time. Knots DO NOT work on dyneema ropes like Amsteel Blue. Plus knots weaken any rope by 30%-50% depending on the rope and who you ask. Splicing allows you to retain nearly 100% of the ropes original strength.

You also don't want to use Amsteel in a situation where you need a rope with dynamic properties. It has virtually no stretch at all. That's why I stick to climbing rope for my tether and keep the Amsteel only as a bridge. My tether will stretch, the Amsteel will not.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
So based on this statement it would seems you are not a proponent of using it for WE Stepps?

TheTracker

Oct 30, 2016
So based on this statement it would seems you are not a proponent of using it for WE Stepps?
I think he's talking about in terms of tying knots in the amsteel and using it for life support.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
I personally like the ropes that come with the WE stepps. But a lot of guys seem happy with changing it to amsteel. I think amsteel is fine to tie that kind of knot since it's more of a friction hitch than a real knot. However, amsteel is very slippery and I bet that WE hitch will slip much easier with Amsteel compared to the stock ropes.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Swampfox

Oct 31, 2016
Bottom of the boot
I personally like the ropes that come with the WE stepps. But a lot of guys seem happy with changing it to amsteel. I think amsteel is fine to tie that kind of knot since it's more of a friction hitch than a real knot. However, amsteel is very slippery and I bet that WE hitch will slip much easier with Amsteel compared to the stock ropes.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

It does, 1/4” Amsteel is a must. Anything smaller and there’s not enough surface area for the Amsteel to bind and will slip.