• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another Cold Weather Boot Option That's Very Affordable

ricky racer

While walking back from hunting this morning after a 3 hour sit (12-15 degrees outside), I thought I'd make a post about an inexpensive boot combination that I have used the last few years with great success in cold weather. These are US Military surplus N-1B Extreme Cold Weather Mukluk's. The boots can be purchased off of Ebay for between $20-$60. They come with a wool felt liner which I remove and replace them with a pair of Wiggy's Sun Walker 2, pack boot liners https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/sunwalker-2/. Mine also came with 2 wool felt insoles in each boot. I've kept them in the boots.

At first glance, you may wonder why the boots are made of canvas with no insulation built into the boot. The only insulation is the liners and the 2 wool felt insoles that mine came with. The reason for the canvas is to allow the perspiration from your feet to permeate through the fabric to keep your feet dry. The insulation you choose is up to you. You can keep the wool felt that they come with or opt for some other insulation. I choose the Sun Walker 2's because of the Lamilite insulation which I feel is far superior to any other insulation made. The Lamilite doesn't absorb the moisture from your foot, it passes the moisture on through the insulation allowing it to escape and evaporate. That in conjunction with the canvas exterior to the boot allow all foot moisture to escape keeping your feet dry. Of course I wear Wiggy's Lamilite socks https://www.wiggys.com/specials/15-off-sale/13-lamilite-socks/ instead of wool socks again because the Lamilite moves the moisture away from my feet instead of holding it like the wools socks did that I've tried with this combination.

Prior to using these Mukluks I sprayed them down with Atsko Silicone Water Guard. It doesn't make them waterproof but it does help water to roll off of them when I break through the ice and step into the water below. One thing I like about them is I can lace them up tightly for walking making them much easier to walk in. If I'm on stand and I'm afraid that my feet may get cold, I can loosen the laces up to allow the Lamilite to loft more increasing its insulation capacity but in the few years I've used this combination, I haven't had to do that yet. If I were out in subzero weather I would probably pack my Wiggy's Mukluks, https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/wiggys-mukluks/. The N-1B's (size large 11-12) won't quite fit in my Wiggy's Mukluks (Large 10-12) but if needed, I could slip my feet out of the N-1B's and slip my foot with the Sun Walkers into Wiggy's Mukluks. There's no way my feet could ever get cold in those. If I were to do it all over, I would have purchased the Wiggy's Mukluks in size XL (13-15) and the N-1B's would have fit nicely in them. One other thing that I really like about these N-1B's is they are light weight, not near as heavy as the old Micky Mouse boots I wore decades ago.

Again, these N-1B's are canvas and not intended for warmer, wet weather. Like any Mukluk, it's made for dry cold weather. If you choose to wear these in say, 35 degree weather and have to wade through snow, they will likely get wet from the wet snow as will any Mukluk. All Mukluks are made to be worn in dry cold weather (below freezing) since all Mukluks are made to be vapor permeable to allow your feet to stay dry.

20201229_102042.jpg
20201229_101830.jpg

Last edited:
I'm jealous it looks like you may have the old tried and true Bob Fratzke Winona Camo pants on in your pics of the Mukluks. I may have asked someone on the forum about this before but I wonder how he is doing now and I wish that camo was still available!!!! Quiet, warm, perfect for bowhunting..... is that what they are? The material looks just like its the same but the camo pattern looks a bit like ASAT which is not what he offered. Anyway, wish it was still being manufactured.

I'm jealous it looks like you may have the old tried and true Bob Fratzke Winona Camo pants on in your pics of the Mukluks. I may have asked someone on the forum about this before but I wonder how he is doing now and I wish that camo was still available!!!! Quiet, warm, perfect for bowhunting..... is that what they are? The material looks just like its the same but the camo pattern looks a bit like ASAT which is not what he offered. Anyway, wish it was still being manufactured.
You're very observant! Yes those pants were made by the folks at Winona Knitting Mills (Winoma Camo) and Bob Fratzke. Bob Fratzke had a brief contract with Jim Barnhart from ASAT to produce Fratzke's Winona Camo in the ASAT pattern. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a cardigan and pants in the short run of ASAT patterns.

I was a dealer for Winona Camo for a number of years until the Knitting Mills closed down due to overseas competition. I don't know if I can help you out any or not but I still have a couple of NOS pieces from back in the day. I have a Medium Classic Brown pair of pants, an Elite Camo Cardigan in 3XL and a Survivor Hat in Elite Camo. The Elite Camo is a combination of acrylic and wool fabric that gives the material kind of a 3D effect. All 3 pieces are new in their original packaging. Let me know if you're interested or if any of these will work for you. You'll probably never get the chance to buy NOS Winona gear again. Oh, if you think the 3XL is too large for you and you wear say, an XL or XXL, you can make the 3XL work for you.

I still use the Knitting Mills orange camo sweater during the gun season, wears like iron. I know it's @ least 35-40 years old.
It's crazy isn't it? When I purchased my first piece of Winona Camo I thought I'd shred it in a few months but nothing I've ever owned has been more durable. I still wear that first piece I ordered (a lined cardigan) and it's got to be pushing 45 years old. It's tighter these days than it seemed to be 4 decades ago. I wish I could blame that on material shrinkage but that's not the case....;)

You're very observant! Yes those pants were made by the folks at Winona Knitting Mills (Winoma Camo) and Bob Fratzke. Bob Fratzke had a brief contract with Jim Barnhart from ASAT to produce Fratzke's Winona Camo in the ASAT pattern. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a cardigan and pants in the short run of ASAT patterns.

I was a dealer for Winona Camo for a number of years until the Knitting Mills closed down due to overseas competition. I don't know if I can help you out any or not but I still have a couple of NOS pieces from back in the day. I have a Medium Classic Brown pair of pants, an Elite Camo Cardigan in 3XL and a Survivor Hat in Elite Camo. The Elite Camo is a combination of acrylic and wool fabric that gives the material kind of a 3D effect. All 3 pieces are new in their original packaging. Let me know if you're interested or if any of these will work for you. You'll probably never get the chance to buy NOS Winona gear again. Oh, if you think the 3XL is too large for you and you wear say, an XL or XXL, you can make the 3XL work for you.
I'm a medium or for hunting a large. Dang! But I may be interested in the pants and the hat. PM pics and what you're considering for payment. What's the waste size of the medium pants?

I'm not sure of the waist size for the medium pants but they are made to go over other pants and allow for layering. The material is stretchy too so I'd guess if you're between a medium and a large, they'd probably work for you. If they don't, you can probably put them on Ebay, maybe you'll have a feeding frenzy since they haven't been available for so long..... ;)

Thanks great info.
The USGI answer and alternative to potentially wet but very cold weather are their famous black and white all rubber Mickey Mouse Boots
I have worn them in temps from 20* above to 20* below zero and my feet always stayed toasty warm
Bought mine long ago for cheap but now they are getting scarce and hard to find and rather pricy but you will not get cold feet if wearing them in any temps even approaching sane to hunt in

While walking back from hunting this morning after a 3 hour sit (12-15 degrees outside), I thought I'd make a post about an inexpensive boot combination that I have used the last few years with great success in cold weather. These are US Military surplus N-1B Extreme Cold Weather Mukluk's. The boots can be purchased off of Ebay for between $20-$60. They come with a wool felt liner which I remove and replace them with a pair of Wiggy's Sun Walker 2 pack boot liners https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/sunwalker-2/. Mine also came with 2 wool felt insoles in each boot. I've kept them in the boots.

At first glance, you may wonder why the boots are made of canvas with no insulation built into the boot. The only insulation is the liners and the 2 wool felt insoles that mine came with. The reason for the canvas is to allow the perspiration from your feet to permeate through the fabric to keep your feet dry. The insulation you choose is up to you. You can keep the wool felt that they come with or opt for some other insulation. I choose the Sun Walker 2's because of the Lamilite insulation which I feel is far superior to any other insulation made. The Lamilite doesn't absorb the moisture from your foot, it passes the moisture on through the insulation allowing it to escape and evaporate. That in conjunction with the canvas exterior to the boot allow all foot moisture to escape keeping your feet dry. Of course I wear Wiggy's Lamilite socks https://www.wiggys.com/specials/15-off-sale/13-lamilite-socks/ instead of wool socks again because the Lamilite moves the moisture away from my feet instead of holding it like the wools socks did that I've tried with this combination.

Prior to using these Mukluks I sprayed them down with Atsko Silicone Water Guard. It doesn't make them waterproof but it does help water to roll off of them when I break through the ice and step into the water below. One thing I like about them is I can lace them up tightly for walking making them much easier to walk in. If I'm on stand and I'm afraid that my feet may get cold, I can loosen the laces up to allow the Lamilite to loft more increasing its insulation capacity but in the few years I've used this combination, I haven't had to do that yet. If I were out in subzero weather I would probably pack my Wiggy's Mukluks, https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/wiggys-mukluks/. The N-1B's (size large 11-12) won't quite fit in my Wiggy's Mukluks (Large 10-12) but if needed, I could slip my feet out of the N-1B's and slip my foot with the Sun Walkers into Wiggy's Mukluks. There's no way my feet could ever get cold in those. If I were to do it all over, I would have purchased the Wiggy's Mukluks in size XL (13-15) and the N-1B's would have fit nicely in them. One other thing that I really like about these N-1B's is they are light weight, not near as heavy as the old Micky Mouse boots I wore decades ago.

Again, these N-1B's are canvas and not intended for warmer, wet weather. Like any Mukluk, it's made for dry cold weather. If you choose to wear these in say, 35 degree weather and have to wade through snow, they will likely get wet from the wet snow as will any Mukluk. All Mukluks are made to be worn in dry cold weather (below freezing) since all Mukluks are made to be vapor permeable to allow your feet to stay dry.

View attachment 42103
View attachment 42104

Very cool. I’ve seen YouTube videos pitting N1-Bs against Mickey Mouse Boots, which I have experience with.

I‘m interested in your experience of the Wiggys Joe Reddingtons. You hunt with them using only the Sun Walkers, and the combo is warm in temps in the teens and below on stand?

One thing you can do to keep your feet warm is to use anti perspiration cream on your feet. They won’t sweat, there for won’t get cold. If that is good for you, I have no idea. Probably not but it works haha

Very cool. I’ve seen YouTube videos pitting N1-Bs against Mickey Mouse Boots, which I have experience with.

I‘m interested in your experience of the Wiggys Joe Reddingtons. You hunt with them using only the Sun Walkers, and the combo is warm in temps in the teens and below on stand?
I have a pair of the Joe Reddington Mukluk's. I got them last year when they were on sale but have not had to wear them yet. It hasn't been cold enough in the last 2 years that I needed them. Wiggy's Mukluk's are made to be worn over shoes or boots like leather hunting or hiking boots. Some wear them over sneakers. When it gets cold enough to wear them, I'll be wearing them over boots or shoes of some sort.

I have a pair of the Joe Reddington Mukluk's. I got them last year when they were on sale but have not had to wear them yet. It hasn't been cold enough in the last 2 years that I needed them. Wiggy's Mukluk's are made to be worn over shoes or boots like leather hunting or hiking boots. Some wear them over sneakers. When it gets cold enough to wear them, I'll be wearing them over boots or shoes of some sort.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was hoping to gauge how warm they are sitting static with the lightest option underneath.

It seems to me ideally what you wear under the MukLuk should be breathable. The selling point of Lamilite is the property of moisture absorbtion/transmission while trapping in heat. They talk about gore-Tex’s lack of vapor permeability as a major cause of cold feet, so I don’t see wearing a gore-Tex boot underneath a Lamilite MukLuk as optimal.

The public I typically hunt requires a hiking boot for access, so I was wondering if the MukLuk would work with just the lamilite pac liners instead of running them over hiking boots for the reasons mentioned.

Gore-Tex does not breath at all and will cause your feet to get damp since the moisture is trapped. Wiggy's mukluk's should be warm enough that even with wet feet, they should stay warm, I would guess. If you have hiking boots without a waterproof membrane, that would be ideal.

I wish I could figure something out like this for wet conditions. Having to wear hip boots a lot sure puts a damper on warm options. I have often thought of bringing a scent free camo bag and taking the waders off at the base of the tree and change into something like this.

Back