• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another Frankenstick

DaveH

Here's a platform I redneck engineered a few years back utilizing a $12 steel climbing stick from Farm & Fleet with a piece of industrial grade molded fiberglass grating bolted to the top. It's best used as a preset since it's not exactly light weight or pleasant to carry. Once I get to the top of my regular sticks, l position it for optimum shooting angles and then place my feet on the platform close to the tree trunk and give it a small jump to set it in place. After that, it seems very stable. Best used on medium sized trees where the contact points can get good bite on the bark. It's helpful to also employ a couple of steps at 10 and 2 o'clock. Obviously, I am ALWAYS tethered in before stepping on the platform. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!:eek:

My first version of the frankenstick has a flat t but it was not wide enough for my feet! your idea is giving the ninja ideas! :)

In case you're wondering, the fiberglass grating may be difficult to source since it usually is available only in big sheets which makes it fairly pricey. If you can find a local distributor, they might be able to hook you up with some suitable sized scraps.

Back