• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another Stepp Ladder platform thread

Scott F

Alright guys, sorry for another post about Stepp Ladder platforms. I've read the archives and am throwing out a question to see if other's have already tried this.
First of all, I was 'out' all last season because of a back surgery. All is well, but I decided to basically avoid any/all hunting-based forums last year because I was pi$$ed and jealous that I couldn't hunt. I'm back now...

I ordered (2x) of Andrew's Stepps from Wild Edge this morning; already received a shipped email verification. I'm excited to try these as a platform. The videos seem to show that it is fairly easy to get them at the same level, albeit with lots of practice, I'm sure. My question is about comfort - and the all important modification potential!!

About comfort - I would think that the total surface area of each Stepp would spread the load across the top, making it more comfortable than a post-based step like a screw in step. Despite that, a platform seems to be the way to go (remember, I was 'out' for about a year, and I am catching up now). I wouldn't think the platform would have to be too large, just big enough to dissipate the pressure beyond the two points of contact on a single Stepp.

I saw a YouTube video of a guy that cut some 3/4" plywood for a small base for a Stepp. This seemed easy enough, but I wondered if anyone has tried to use grade 8 U-bolts to secure a platform to the top of a Stepp? I know the welding option isn't feasible (steel vs aluminum), but other methods of securing a relatively light base surely exist, right?

Any takers?

It'll be a boat anchor. Platforms are comfortable but having two separate steps with an nice big surface is better. You have a wider base for balance.

I just sold 4 top paws (climbpaws) and would set them where I had two for each foot. Very comfortable and not heavy

The climber seat (platform) is similar to what I was thinking with the u-bolts. The difference is that I would think a smaller seat/platform would be better because it would have less chance to twist when your weight shifts. I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a method to fix the base to the Stepp yet. Welding isn't the solution based on what I've read because of the steel/aluminum issues.

Having not seen a Stepp yet, I have a hard time predicting what size base would be appropriate, but I'd guess somewhere around a 9"x9" chunk of plywood may be about right to rest my size 13 boots on.

Right now I use the top step of my sticks with 2 aluminum angle iron steps on a strap on the same plane as my platform. It is fine, but there are MUCH better options.

I would like to have a three-item 'platform' system, consisting of: a small platform (wooden?) fixed to a Stepp to use as my primary platform, to my left would be another Stepp (bare without a wooden platform) and to my right would be the top of my LW stick.

The center Stepp (with fixed base) would be my primary standing platform, the other two would permit lateral movement when swinging in the breeze waiting for a shot.

I also saw the plywood on the Stepp Ladder for a platform. Neat idea but have not tried it. The Stepp system is great for a platform. You can put 2 feet on 1 stepp and it works well when climbing. At hunting height I use 1 stepp per foot. I put 2 to 4 stepps at hunting height and utilize sturdy (not shakey) limbs when available. I have not used the XOP mod platform from @Erniepower but I have heard nothing but good things about it. You would be better off with that (structurally and safety) vs clamping a platform to the Stepp system.

The Stepps make a greatplatform but if you used climbing sticks such as the Hawk Helum or other that I am looking to get for my wife, the platform is almost a necessity!

Just looking at them on youtube, I could imagine a cloth platform between the horizontal pieces that come away from the tree. Not for standing on, but for resting purposes.

I use an Ernie along w 2 or 3 stepps depending on how big the tree is. I really like the stepps because I have no issues putting side pressure on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I just got back from trying my Stepps. BLUF: I like them, probably a lot.

It was raining outside so I only set one Stepp up on multiple trees to learn the knot and test a theory that it is easier to set up and cam over on larger diameter trees. My take--

Smaller trees are slightly more difficult IF the bark is smooth. If a tree has more rough bark, it is easier regardless of the diameter. The smallest tree I gried was about a 6-7" diameter, the largest was around 12-14" diameter. I believe this is because (from the youtube videos) to set it up you need to wrap the rope around the tree in basically a line that is parallel to the ground. When sufficiently tightened, you pull the Stepp upwards until the spikes of the top of the step are above the rope line going around the tree. The challenge with smaller trees is that the rope slips up the tree as you try to lift and cam it over. It was hard for me to keep the rope on the backside of the tree lower than the spikes because of this slippage.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

On larger trees, it was far easier to keep the rope lower in the back, to enable the Stepp to cam over, even in the rain.

The knot was surprisingly easy to tie and learn, even me - the self-proclaimed lowest common denominator in our beloved Corps.

To learn this I did what countless other Marines have done for a long time - make a dity.
"Through the V, up next to the tree, back down to me."

Time will tell for sure, but this will be my platform for this season. I will probably still use my LW sticks to get up the tree, but these seem like the cat's meow for a platform at height.

I use an Ernie along w 2 or 3 stepps depending on how big the tree is. I really like the stepps because I have no issues putting side pressure on them.

Just getting into saddle hunting and this is what I'm thinking for a platform....xop platform and 3 stepp ladders

Just getting into saddle hunting and this is what I'm thinking for a platform....xop platform and 3 stepp ladders

Most of the time you will only need 2 stepps with the platform. I have gone to using the Ernie platform with a lone wolf strap that has 2 ameristeps attached to strap. I use one on each side, the pic only shows one side.
81f91a08723472cc6ddbb584b407204b.jpg

Back