• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another vote for one sticking

jgleas114

SH Member
I have been through most climbing methods and I have to say nothing works as well the one stick method. I tried climbing sticks and platform it was just too much to carry in. The wild edge steps with the swaider and knaider was ... I just wasn't comfortable with it.

My current one stick setup:
  • Sh1kar one stick w/ angled monarch
  • 2 step aider - may purchase the 3 step utlimaider
  • Harken 150 cam cleat w/ amsteel
  • 40 ft Sterling Canyon
  • Madrock
I tried one sticking down. While it can be done, rappelling is so much more fun and it is quicker.

Last edited:
i like a 3 step aider. use it to set my stick. I like the angles on a UP platform, helps me hold with the inside of my knees with no hands on trunk/ rope. I'll never climb down a tree again if i can help it

I‘m 60 and I can’t imagine doing it any other way now. The thought of humping 4 sticks, packing and unpacking them, wind chimes going up, only to hunt lower kind of makes me ill. Sticks aren’t for me. That doesn’t mean I think other people shouldn’t use them. They should use whatever they like and not worry about what other people think.

I have been through most climbing methods and I have to say nothing works as well the one stick method. I tried climbing sticks and platform it was just too much to carry in. The wild edge steps with the swaider and knaider was ... I just wasn't comfortable with it.

My current one stick setup:
  • Sh1kar one stick w/ angled monarch
  • 2 step aider - may purchase the 3 step utlimaider
  • Harken 150 cam cleat w/ amsteel
  • 40 ft Sterling Canyon
  • Madrock
I tried one sticking down. While it can be done, rappelling is so much more fun and it is quicker.
I like 1 sticking, tried small platforms but like a larger style platform from the existing style 1 sticks. I designed my own DIY by using cut down LW sticks and trophyline EDP. I use 2 step aider EWO. Works great for me. I’m going to be working on a 1 stick DIY design with a LWCG fix platform. One stick is an extra tool in the tool box.

I really like it! This has been my third season one sticking and I find I keep gravitating to it. I traded this summer for 4 LWCG double step sticks and although they are nice, they are not markedly less weight from my modded muddy one stick with EWO upper and lower platforms and as @2Sloe mentioned, they can be wind chimes. But again and I stress, I’ve not felt a perceived weight advantage with the four LWCG sticks at all and if I picked up an EWO feather stick tube and removed my muddy tube I’d probably have an even lighter weight one stick system. I am going to do a comparison with the tethrd one sticks and my one stick. I recently traded for a three pack of the gen3 and man they are light. In fairness to the LWCG sticks they are 20” sticks so the heaviest they sell. But I’m thinking with a three step continuous loop aider from the amsteel guy, three tethrd gen 3 one sticks and a pursuit platform, I may have a super light system that consistently gets me to 17-18 feet and I’m not carrying the rappel rope all over tarnation.

I will say the one sticks are super tingy out of the box but I vet wrapped and stealth striped the heck out of them and now they are super quiet. Haven’t used them yet though I’ll keep ya posted.

60 years old, not in the fittest shape of my life and one sticking is my go to. I keep it simple, a single mini Helium with a cam cleat and 6mm accessory cord paired with a one step aider. I get between 3.5 and 4 feet per move of the stick which is plenty for me. I still prefer the one stick combined with a separate platform (TL EDP) so I can leave the stick on the backside of the tree to provide a means to walk around the tree when its necessary. After many years of rappelling down I still look forward to it every hunt . . . as others have said, no matter how I climbed I would always rappel down at this point.

60 years old, not in the fittest shape of my life and one sticking is my go to. I keep it simple, a single mini Helium with a cam cleat and 6mm accessory cord paired with a one step aider. I get between 3.5 and 4 feet per move of the stick which is plenty for me. I still prefer the one stick combined with a separate platform (TL EDP) so I can leave the stick on the backside of the tree to provide a means to walk around the tree when its necessary. After many years of rappelling down I still look forward to it every hunt . . . as others have said, no matter how I climbed I would always rappel down at this point.
Your videos on one sticking are what converted me to it. You have your system down cold!!!

I may have asked before. If you dont mind, how high do you typically hunt?
What is the weight of your system minus the EDP?
Please include weight of special bag for rappel rope please.

I may have asked before. If you dont mind, how high do you typically hunt?
What is the weight of your system minus the EDP?
Please include weight of special bag for rappel rope please.
I hunt where the cover is so it varies. My typical preference would be with my feet right around 20-23 ft (4-5 stick moves) but I've hunted as low as 10 ft and as high as 33 ft this year.

My whole pack, including outer layers, EDP, camera gear, etc, usually comes in about 32lbs. I use my turkey vest for a pack so everything I carry other than my weapon and saddle goes in there. I don't carry anything attached to my saddle. I climb with the pack on my back and my weapon attached to a pull up string. In reality though whole pack weight doesn't mean much though because we all have preferred gear we carry and different climates we need to dress for.

1671123794749.png1671123877974.png

As you can see the stick, EDP, layers and rappel rope are carried in the pouch (rappel rope is in the bottom).

The stick weighs in at 2.7lbs and the 40' of canyon elite rappel rope and Safeguard weigh in at a 2.8 lbs combined. So my climbing method weighs under 6lbs total. I've said it before here but for me its not really about the weight, its the compactness and quietness of the setup that drew me to saddle hunting. This is a very quiet and compact climbing setup that allows me to hunt at any height (up to 35') while accessing and climbing pretty quietly.

1671124208622.png1671124267058.png
1671124336437.png

Please share the videos
They're a bit dated. Here's the latest one I posted.

The babbling brook in the background was a nice touch.

Great video. Lots of short moves instead of a few big ones and it looks like it works well. Nice.

Boyne you are still a young punk kid at 60.. lol

Back