• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any YouTube videos…

@redsquirrel and @WHW both have good writeups on here for blood trailing. I think red has the soundest default plan for suspected gut shots I've ever heard, and Mr. Womack does a great job explaining grid searching.

I think @Allegheny Tom is an advocate for a product that makes hemoglobin glow, and the folks who sell it also sell a tracking book that goes over blood trailing with and without a dog and explaining how/when to use their product.

I can tell you from first hand experience that there's no substitute for blood trailing like following wounded critters. I consider all the help I've volunteered over the years finding deer as the textbook case for selfish altruism. Help somebody find a deer and you both benefit. I helped a guy this year who put a good shot on a big boar that just didn't bleed. We trailed a dead pig 200 yards through a sea of tall grass finding drops of blood every 5-10 feet.

@redsquirrel and @WHW both have good writeups on here for blood trailing. I think red has the soundest default plan for suspected gut shots I've ever heard, and Mr. Womack does a great job explaining grid searching.

I think @Allegheny Tom is an advocate for a product that makes hemoglobin glow, and the folks who sell it also sell a tracking book that goes over blood trailing with and without a dog and explaining how/when to use their product.

I can tell you from first hand experience that there's no substitute for blood trailing like following wounded critters. I consider all the help I've volunteered over the years finding deer as the textbook case for selfish altruism. Help somebody find a deer and you both benefit. I helped a guy this year who put a good shot on a big boar that just didn't bleed. We trailed a dead pig 200 yards through a sea of tall grass finding drops of blood every 5-10 feet.

I’m the same way. I volunteer for every blood tracking adventure I can. I’ve learned so much from blood trailing. I can tell you, it’s the fastest way to learn a new place.
Growing up I hunted deep swamps exclusively. We hunted from mudboats and then transitioned into pirogues once the mudboats reached it limits. I learned to tract through water which is uniquely different compared to tracking in leaves. We looked for bubbles, disturbed salvania, splashes of water up a tree, even spanish moss that may have been ripped down while escaping…. It’s a different hunting style all together. I love it and learned a lot.

My post is more of a follow up to the discussion that got side tracked and ended up being locked. I’d like this discussion to be more inline on what to look for while on a blood trail. No matter how good you are no one has seen it all.

What’s some of your best tips for recovery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

learn to follow a deer by its tracks, blood is icing on the cake.

I agree…I used to trap as a kid. Trying to figure out where an animal is going to put its foot will make you a tracking master when the sign is already there. Especially if blood is present.

I remember when I figured out how to trap nutria, I figured other animals would be easy. That was the worst thought to ever cross my mind. I went on to try to exclusively catch river otter….let me tell you about those little elusive critters. They are as random as lightning and smarter than a fox. I spent a month trying to trap a family of otters and finally gave up. However I learned a ton about those animals in my efforts and have grown to appreciate those things as much as a cunning fox.

Getting back to trailing….I agree. If you can track by hoof prints you’re well advanced in the art. It’s not something that is acquired overnight.

[QUOTE="Nutterbuster

[/QUOTE]
The product is Bluestar but it's also known as Bloodglow or luminol. It is not a substitute for solid trailing skills but there are times when Bluestar is useful, like after a heavy rain.
It's actually used by law enforcement in forensic crime investigation. The stuff is not a gimmick. It works amazingly well to locate microscopic blood that's not visible by the naked eye. But what's more impressive is that it still indicates blood even after a substantial rain.

It does have a bit of a learning curve and it obviously can't find blood if the wound isn't bleeding externally. When sprayed on (not visible blood), luminol will glow bright blue so it's used in total darkness...no lights are used.

I get Bluestar from Jerry Allen at bloodglow.com
Jerry also wrote a pretty good book about blood trailing titled "Blood in Motion".

Another really great book is by the late John Jeanneney titled "Dead On". John was the founder of United Blood Trackers who was very instrumental in getting several states to legalize recovery with dogs. John had been on thousands of blood trails and was a wealth of info on tracking with and without dogs. Dead On should be required reading by every hunter. Read this book!

[QUOTE="Nutterbuster

The product is Bluestar but it's also known as Bloodglow or luminol. It is not a substitute for solid trailing skills but there are times when Bluestar is useful, like after a heavy rain.
It's actually used by law enforcement in forensic crime investigation. The stuff is not a gimmick. It works amazingly well to locate microscopic blood that's not visible by the naked eye. But what's more impressive is that it still indicates blood even after a substantial rain.

It does have a bit of a learning curve and it obviously can't find blood if the wound isn't bleeding externally. When sprayed on (not visible blood), luminol will glow bright blue so it's used in total darkness...no lights are used.

I get Bluestar from Jerry Allen at bloodglow.com
Jerry also wrote a pretty good book about blood trailing titled "Blood in Motion".

Another really great book is by the late John Jeanneney titled "Dead On". John was the founder of United Blood Trackers who was very instrumental in getting several states to legalize recovery with dogs. John had been on thousands of blood trails and was a wealth of info on tracking with and without dogs. Dead On should be required reading by every hunter. Read this book![/QUOTE]

Excellent material, thanks for the lead.

Back