• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody use a tree seat for a platform?

Gettin Closer

I saw a Rivers Edge Standard Tree Seat and it looks of great interest to me. It weighs in at 4 ponds but has a load capacity of 250 pounds. It cost a whopping $30 on OpticsPlanet Planet.

I am sure you could remove .5# to 1# by roving the cushion and changing the straps for ropes.

I love the idea and looks of the XOP platforms but you are going to have $100 in by the time you are done. Has anybody used these yet? I did not see any threads on it (that I could find).

Lots of guys have tried it. Most use something different.
Is that because they are not stable or is it because they are looking to shave weight? I am more concerned about cost than weight. (No, I don7want to carry 20# but 4# is not near as bad AND very affordable.) But if it is not stable/safe then I would not want to mess with it.

Pretty sure I remember a thread on this and it was side loading that was an issue I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I remember a thread on this and it was side loading that was an issue I think.

I thought that might be an issue when I looked at it but all of the XOP platforms are between the tree brackets. Close to the top but still between the brackets. All of the tree seats are mounted (slightly) above the top tree bracket. I know that the seat would no longer lay flat, but I wonder if that would fix the problem of side loading...

They just dont work well as bought. There might be mods to make them better, but haven't seen any. Search again, reviews are on here.

I have one and I put it on a muddy stick . It works ok after I moved it around on the stick to find best placement, but it's certainly not my first choice platform

I have one and I put it on a muddy stick . It works ok after I moved it around on the stick to find best placement, but it's certainly not my first choice platform

Thanks for the input. After taking a closer look at them and reading a few other posts, it sounds like they could all benefit from better tree cleats.

I was just looking at these, was thinking maybe adding a 10 dollar bat wing or something.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...d=0&itemGUID=2c17cfd8ac108456427fc35f698045e9

I would not attempt to use that one. Hanging like that I can't imagine it would hold any side pressure at all.

The closest I have come is to buy a Gorilla seat. Use two ratchet straps because the one I have has top and bottom attachment loops. The one pictured here does not but couldn't find the other one quickly. You will if you search for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Steel-Tree-Seat-HX/dp/B0028PERW2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I would not attempt to use that one. Hanging like that I can't imagine it would hold any side pressure at all.

The closest I have come is to buy a Gorilla seat. Use two ratchet straps because the one I have has top and bottom attachment loops. The one pictured here does not but couldn't find the other one quickly. You will if you search for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Steel-Tree-Seat-HX/dp/B0028PERW2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
This is along the lines of what I am considering. The one i was looking at is made by Hawks but would need the 2nd strap added as well. Then I could use the seat pad to strap to the tree for my knees. This way I do not have to mess with knee pads and would also work if you are sideways against the tree.

Guys anything will work, but how well it works and what you desire are different for all of us. Back when I was a hang on stand guy, many people swore the stand with the chain and 2 red balls was so solid. I bought one and didnt have it on the tree a knee high more than 5min and back to the store it went. We are all different, so test and have fun.

Back