• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone add shoulder straps to their saddle?

jakhammer

After reading a post yesterday about a fall due to stick kicking out, I am considering climbing with a tether in addition to a LB.
Just wondering if anyone has made a mod to incorporate shoulder straps similar to a standard fall arrest harness into their saddle.

In the rock climbing world they make chest harnesses that are used in conjunction with a climbing harness. Mostly they’re used for either hauling extra gear from slings on the sides or with a chest ascender for climbing the ropes. You might look into one of those to add to the system. The attachment point is in the chest, front, middle, instead of that goofy tether that comes from the back of the harness in a typical fall-arrest harness. I’ll see if I can find a link to what I’m talking about.

@jakhammer, welcome! As I mentioned a couple of times here, I added suspenders to my saddle. I’m sure it’s not load bearing, but it keeps the saddle at the low point where I want it.

One could always just wear a regular HSS underneath the saddle as an independent second system and tie in a redundant system (short bridge on the lineman’s loop) as back up while disregarding the tether on the back.

There will always be those who eliminate any extra oz/item to go as minimalistic as possible and those who don’t mind an extra pound in exchange for safety. My personal preference is loosing a pound on myself rather than thinning out my safety set up.

Find yourself reliable sources and subject matter experts such as a climbing instructor at REI or an arborist. Find what makes you feel safe and comfortable so you’ll enjoy a relaxed set up in the tree which will allow you to enjoy the hunt rather than worrying about your equipment. You’ll find a lot of information and even more opinions on this forum here. It’s the best place to hang out as a saddle hunter when not up in a tree. It does not replace common sense and the requirement of proper research.

Good luck!

As long as you are blessed with a round rump and protruding hips, otherwise?

A waist belt that will not go over your hips is what kept people safe in 1990 in the rock climbing world. Nothing has changed. I have such a waist belt on my saddles. Rock climbers are some of the skinniest people out there. Everyone could have such a waist belt as long as their waist is smaller than their hips which I think applies to everyone. One of the earliest hunting saddles, the Aero Evolution, has it.

Last edited:
This is kind of what I am talking about - it'sobviously overkill and prob very heavy, but I bet it's comfortable and has the chest and back rings for a tether while climbing
this one could retro fit to saddle

I may look into this last one:
Petzl Top Harness
One Size
$109.95SAD408In Stock
Works with Petzl Avao Sit saddle to transfer weight carried on saddle to shoulder straps. A very comfortable way to support the weight of gear carried on the harness, as well as giving you a single chest attachment point. Connects to the rear buckle of a Avao Sit or Sequoia SRT harness. Can be used with Croll chest ascender. Fall-protection rated on SIT harness only.

1607270921527.png

Last edited:
Yeah, it is a funny video, BUT, should make you feel a lot better about gear. At some point just climb, trust your gear, and stop worrying so much. If there is something in your get that you don't trust DON'T USE IT. Inspect your gear constantly, if something is not right don't use it. Your lineman can act as a back up for your tether and vise versa. I see all these set ups with a back up for a back up, for a back up. How do you even hunt like that?

I come from a construction background as a site safety office. Use the correct gear, inspect it, and trust in it. A trusted harness, tether, and anchor point....go climb and hunt. Actually the way we climb is 100% more effect than OSHA guidelines for working. We are not arresting and no fear of suspension trauma.

The other morning I set my platform to high above my last bolt. I couldn't find it in the dark with my toe. I lowered my saddle. Then loosened my mission. Let it slide down the tree a couple feet and re-cammed, right beside my bolt. I essential could have climbed up and down the tree with just my mission platform and tether.

A waistband only isn’t the way to go, the climber will quickly fold in the opposite direction, they are no longer allowed in bucket truck use, only a full body, although overkill here. Still the force of a fall should be directed to the legs, not hips, folding over, or higher, on the waist, your insides will try to get to the outside by any available opening.

A waistband only isn’t the way to go, the climber will quickly fold in the opposite direction, they are no longer allowed in bucket truck use, only a full body, although overkill here. Still the force of a fall should be directed to the legs, not hips, folding over, or higher, on the waist, your insides will try to get to the outside by any available opening.
I just wanted to point out some people don't even have a waistband that is installed safely. The waist band will prevent you from hitting the ground. Waist belt injuries could occur in a fall.

I wasn't clear, a full body harness is required for fall arrest, but what we are doing is not arresting a fall. Basically if you don't feel safe then don't climb. All you need is a harness, tether, and anchor point. If any part of that equation you don't trust, THEN DON'T GET OFF THE GROUND.

It seems to me to be a combination of positioning, fall restrain, and fall arrest. Also agree fulbody harness not needed, as stated before, keep the slack out is most important.

If you're climbing with jus a LB and have a kickout of your stick, your lb will prevent you hitting the ground, but may not prevent injury. It's possible to rip your guts open on a stick. I may not end up using a tether along w lb to climb, but just asking questions before my platform gets here tomorrow to start practicing. I am not afraid - been climbing trees for 50+ years, but want to be educated and make smart decisions b/c at 60 yrs old and after 4 back surgeries, my body doesn't heal very fast from injuries. I did a lot of dumb stuff hunting from trees when I was younger and just started using safety belts 3 years ago...Just want to be safe and prevent injuries.

I agree and I am all about safety. Things we have to think about, myself included. If a stick kicks, we did something wrong. The reason I don't like the full body harnesses. They are not made for saddle hunting. You can load and constantly keep a saddle loaded. You can't load and constantly keep a full body loaded. Therefore when you are wearing a full body you are inviting a fall. Most full bodies attach between the shoulder blades. I am not sure how many have taken a fall in a full body. I have during my training, on purpose. It absolutely sucks!!!! I have also stepped right off my platform, once again on purpose, I swung into the tree because the saddle was already loaded. No suck at all because there is no fall.
Goes back to the old saying "it is not the fall that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the end." Work to take away the fall and sudden stop. Accidents happen, but make sure the extra gear you use doesn't create a much worse scenario. Remember if you hang from a full body harness for more than 10 minutes you are DEAD, there is nothing they can do for you, suspension trauma.

I agree and I am all about safety. Things we have to think about, myself included. If a stick kicks, we did something wrong. The reason I don't like the full body harnesses. They are not made for saddle hunting. You can load and constantly keep a saddle loaded. You can't load and constantly keep a full body loaded. Therefore when you are wearing a full body you are inviting a fall. Most full bodies attach between the shoulder blades. I am not sure how many have taken a fall in a full body. I have during my training, on purpose. It absolutely sucks!!!! I have also stepped right off my platform, once again on purpose, I swung into the tree because the saddle was already loaded. No suck at all because there is no fall.
Goes back to the old saying "it is not the fall that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the end." Work to take away the fall and sudden stop. Accidents happen, but make sure the extra gear you use doesn't create a much worse scenario. Remember if you hang from a full body harness for more than 10 minutes you are DEAD, there is nothing they can do for you, suspension trauma.
The harnesses I posted are incorporated into the saddle and attach in the front (some have an option to attach in the rear also) If used while climbing in addition to a LB then the risk of any injury is reduced..Including the risk of suspension trauma.

If you're climbing with jus a LB and have a kickout of your stick, your lb will prevent you hitting the ground, but may not prevent injury. It's possible to rip your guts open on a stick. I may not end up using a tether along w lb to climb, but just asking questions before my platform gets here tomorrow to start practicing. I am not afraid - been climbing trees for 50+ years, but want to be educated and make smart decisions b/c at 60 yrs old and after 4 back surgeries, my body doesn't heal very fast from injuries. I did a lot of dumb stuff hunting from trees when I was younger and just started using safety belts 3 years ago...Just want to be safe and prevent injuries.
We don’t bounce as good as we used to!

So I think the benefit of shoulder straps is saddle mgmt not life support. I added a set of LW stand straps to my H2 just to carry the weight of the bags better. When you have two loader sys haulers that SOB is heavy and a 2 mile walk in doesn't sit well on the hips. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field yet but I'll start a thread when I do. I'm thinking this should be a custom option though. It'd take next to nothing to add some attachment points to the saddle to add a removable set. Turns your saddle into a highly modular fannypack as well as a stand.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back