• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone else’s food plots suck?

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
Four seasons of micro plots to compliment the bigger ag fields on our property. This is the worst by far. Haven’t had rain in several weeks, then the last couple of days it sprinkles, but my plots went from these fuzzy green chia patches a week after planting, to straight up dirt with a dash of brassica buds. The bits that ARE left are just pathetic. My timing was right when I planted, these plots’ soils are full of organic nutrition, but man we just need some RAIN. Not even sure how much of the seed is still viable after probably two months without so much as a thundercloud.
Anyone else miserably low on yield in their plots this year?

Four seasons of micro plots to compliment the bigger ag fields on our property. This is the worst by far. Haven’t had rain in several weeks, then the last couple of days it sprinkles, but my plots went from these fuzzy green chia patches a week after planting, to straight up dirt with a dash of brassica buds. The bits that ARE left are just pathetic. My timing was right when I planted, these plots’ soils are full of organic nutrition, but man we just need some RAIN. Not even sure how much of the seed is still viable after probably two months without so much as a thundercloud.
Ours fall plots are in the front seat of the struggle bus. We were partially saved because we drilled right into the summer plots that made an awesome crop of milo. So we still have food but they are no where close to what they have been the last couple of seasons.

I can’t ever get anything to grow. My soil is mostly clay and very stubborn. I have added lime, fertilizer and everything else suggested. Nothing, not even throw and grow.

I can’t ever get anything to grow. My soil is mostly clay and very stubborn. I have added lime, fertilizer and everything else suggested. Nothing, not even throw and grow.
You could send in a soil sample to a place like Penn State and they will tell you exactly what you need to do to your dirt to get it to grow anything. Takes all the guess work out of it.

Clay soil here too but I’ve spent the last few years duff-mulching them, using cover crops, and even ignoring them completely when needed. Organic matter content has skyrocketed, which makes the soil structure more complimentary. Soil tests are great, inexpensive ways to get a picture of what you’re lacking or really have in surplus, but also just common sense regenerative practices such as leaving mowed vegetation down on the plot and either drilling or broadcasting right into it provides a huge nutritional boost to the soil and a very crude natural mulch. I also use daikon (aka tillage) radishes and turnips in areas that don’t get as much sun or water and they have really helped break up the clay there. Also, sometimes just some clover on an area can really improve the overall health of the soil and get the microbiology working for you again. This is all “organic fertilizer” and so much cheaper than the bags. Takes patience though.
Oh, and there’s still the issue of getting SOME rain…

I sent soil to Colorado State University. They have an Ag office a few minutes from me. I also tried Whitetail Institute. Followed both the the letter.

I sent soil to Colorado State University. They have an Ag office a few minutes from me. I also tried Whitetail Institute. Followed both the the letter.
I put in food plots on three different properties for other people, I don’t even get to hunt them but after it’s all said and done, clover is the key to deer all year and turnips are the best late season crop for deer and bear. I have tried it all and this year where I hunt I only have clover that’s been maintained and I have more deer more frequently than any other plots. Clover can grow about anywhere and all you need to do is top it after it goes to seed.

Last edited:
all that round up ready crap from the ag probably doesnt help

My plots are way past their lifespan but they would have to get about 1,000% better to even reach the level of "suck".
Food plots can be wonderful and they can also be a can of worms.
Keep things in perspective, with realistic goals and understand that most of us can't plant enough acres to make squat of a difference, especially in areas of high deer density. If you plant something that deer love, they will eat it down to dirt. Then mother nature will compensate by growing a non food which is often a miserable weed.
I'm really getting to the point of converting my fields to switchgrass. I have roughly an acre of switch now and the deer love the cover. The remaining plot acreage might end up being just the areas arount pear, chestnut, apple trees, etc, and the mowed access paths for property maintenance.
I'm about burned out on trying to have magazine cover food plots.
And yeah, if I broadcast seed or urea, we are guaranteed to get a dry spell. Which isn't always bad. Ungerminated seed can lay for months and still be viable. What sucks is getting just enough rain to germinate AND THEN having a dry spell. Been there way too many times.

I got mine in at the end of August before a good rain but it’s dried off and no chance in the ten day forecast. I plant a pretty diverse annual mix so some species should do ok. I’ll likely add another 100+ pounds/acre cereal rye in a week or two.

835d0ed974b0ac00d88eb50fa616f75b.jpg

These does are eating me out of house and home. Basically a destination big woods plot that’s less than an acre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plots are way past their lifespan but they would have to get about 1,000% better to even reach the level of "suck".
Food plots can be wonderful and they can also be a can of worms.
Keep things in perspective, with realistic goals and understand that most of us can't plant enough acres to make squat of a difference, especially in areas of high deer density. If you plant something that deer love, they will eat it down to dirt. Then mother nature will compensate by growing a non food which is often a miserable weed.
I'm really getting to the point of converting my fields to switchgrass. I have roughly an acre of switch now and the deer love the cover. The remaining plot acreage might end up being just the areas arount pear, chestnut, apple trees, etc, and the mowed access paths for property maintenance.
I'm about burned out on trying to have magazine cover food plots.
And yeah, if I broadcast seed or urea, we are guaranteed to get a dry spell. Which isn't always bad. Ungerminated seed can lay for months and still be viable. What sucks is getting just enough rain to germinate AND THEN having a dry spell. Been there way too many times.
I’ve found cereal grains to be the best solution to all the usual food plot pit falls. It’s cheap and easy to grow, plus it’s very browse resistant. A 50 lb bag of rye typically cost about 15 bucks where I get mine from.

I’ve found cereal grains to be the best solution to all the usual food plot pit falls. It’s cheap and easy to grow, plus it’s very browse resistant. A 50 lb bag of rye typically cost about 15 bucks where I get mine from.
My neighbor was just telling me about his rye success the other night after this thread went up. That’s two votes now on cereal rye. He also really had success with buckwheat, which there was some love for on here as well.

These soft public land guys have no idea what a grind food plots are. Northeast Ohio, because I got most in early enough I’m getting by by the skin of my teeth, brassicas haven’t grown much but the triticale (like rye) and oats have some roots and are hanging in there. Some dry spots are bare. I have one kill plot that’s making me nervous because they’re hammering it and we need rain bad so the plants can make a jump. You just have to try, learn, embrace the process and accept that nature will sometimes demolish your plans. The climate is changing and it’s a very bad thing.BB4DF195-A9BA-4810-89F9-A517D20A71BD.jpeg52F82E3F-AAF2-492C-B7B4-4F8806C0EC40.jpeg87AC2AA2-40FB-4ED3-BF1B-2DC47FF5D496.jpeg

Buckwheat worked well for us this year as has chicory. First year with the chicory and I believe the deep taproot helps.

Back