• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone replaced leg straps on the Killdeer?

mtfallon

Realize I may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole here, but I have been thinking about using my Killdeer to one stick and hunt out of my .75 (as a tree stand, not as a saddle stand) next season on longer hikes. I have the G hook straps which are very thin and not load rated and I've been thinking about getting the upgraded straps but don't think they will make a huge difference. Seeing as they're removable, has anyone found leg straps from a different company that are thicker and used them with the Kill deer?

Are you sure they aren’t load rated? I ask because I can’t imagine them building the Killdeer with something not rated. I might be wrong though.

Are you sure they aren’t load rated? I ask because I can’t imagine them building the Killdeer with something not rated. I might be wrong though.
Good point, I am not sure, I had read a few threads on here about G hook testing/results and not being load rated, but that steel g hooks were stronger than the aluminum version. What I'm envisioning is a 1.5-2" wide leg strap with cobra buckers or something similar.

Good point, I am not sure, I had read a few threads on here about G hook testing/results and not being load rated, but that steel g hooks were stronger than the aluminum version. What I'm envisioning is a 1.5-2" wide leg strap with cobra buckers or something similar.

I'm sure some are stronger than others, and even have a retaining clip, but I've never heard of a load rated g-hook.

Get the drey to one stick with. The killdeer is torture one sticking with. The premium straps might be worse.

I reached out to them and unfortunately they can't because it's a rated component of the harness, and can't make modifications without testing.
I did not like all the straps by my pants zipper. When you got to go!
This is not what you are asking but I went this way.
Screenshot_20240108_153655_Gallery.jpg

I did not like all the straps by my pants zipper. When you got to go!
This is not what you are asking but I went this way.
View attachment 98666
That looks pretty close to what I'm picturing, have you one sticked or repelled much with it? I like that the leg straps are attached so I don't need the zip tie that I'm currently using ha ha

That looks pretty close to what I'm picturing, have you one sticked or repelled much with it? I like that the leg straps are attached so I don't need the zip tie that I'm currently using ha ha
No I don't climb that way. I got it to use as a tree stand safety harness or as a hybrid method with my Dryad mini.

ITW G-hooks used on Killdeer and many saddle leg straps bend open by pulling with one hand. The little clips on Latitude hooks serve no purpose at all as the "gate" is just straight wire and will not resist any kind of load.

Any harness with no load bearing leg loops is not a harness at all, just a belt that you can slip through.

Tethrd is about to have their saddle approved for European market and you guessed it, no G-hooks.

They make premium leg straps with Cobra buckles. Just get those, problem solved. They're not bad to onestick with and you'll end up with a solution that's likely safer than any other hunting saddle currently available.

I have the killdeer with the premium straps. No regrets from my standpoint. I’ve been using the killdeer as my climbing safety harness and treestand harness for my hunts using my LWCG .75. I might get the mini drey hammock to go with the killdeer and use the .75 as a hybrid hunt system.

I have the killdeer and the premium leg straps, no issues 1sticking. Yes, it is a little easier with your device on a bridge at a higher level. If this is a concern make an Amsteel fullbury 'dog bone' from 3/16 or 1/4 about 4-4.5 feet long ending length and use that with the killdeer for the climb and reppel - I did this and I trust it, I am not a professional climber so do at your own risk of course!

Back